Battle at the Border

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle at the Border

The 2010 edition of the Battle at the Border is shaping up to be a very interesting event. 2 GMs (Nakamura and Charbonneau), 2 IMs (Teplitsky and Hansen) and of course FM Jack Yoos will be playing. The event will be a 6 round swiss. You can sleep in Saskatchewan and play in Alberta if you like! The town of Lloydminster sits on the border of both provinces. Free entry for GMs, IMs and FMs. Register now!

The tournament organizer, Jamin Gluckie has put tons of work into this event and it shows. Visit the tournament website for full details.

http://www.albertachess.org/2010BATB/index.php
    Last edited by Tony Ficzere; Monday, 9th August, 2010, 07:12 PM.

Re: Battle at the Border

Where else would you have a better chance to play two GM's?

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Chaisson View Post
      Where else would you have a better chance to play two GM's?
      Answer: a single section Canadian Open where the accelerated pairings are botched.

Ok, that was a cheap shot, but I couldn't resist! To be fair, even though I was one of the players affected by the pairings mishap in the third round, I'm not disappointed that I got to play GM Friedel instead of some random ~2300.

Thanks for the plug, Tony. Registrations are coming along nicely and I hope to have 50 players by the time the September long weekend rolls around. 50 players may not seem like much, but considering that Lloydminster has a population of less than 30,000 and does not have a chess club, meaning that everyone except myself and Terry have to travel, stay in hotel rooms, etc, I consider it to be an outstanding turnout.

Comment

Just a reminder that the early entry deadline is in two days. August 27th is the last day to pay a reduced entry fee of $50.

We have 35 players signed up so far. Our newest featured player is IM Eric Hansen.

Comment

The Battle at the Border is only a few days away. The chess festivities on Saturday get underway with a Nakamura/Charbonneau tandem simul, and the first round starts at 12:20 PM.

Throughout the event we will be broadcasting the top three chess boards live. Check out http://www.albertachess.org/2010BATB to watch.

Prior to this, on Friday afternoon a 2 on 2 basketball match will take place! GM Nakamura and FM Yoos will be up against GM Charbonneau and yours truly. I hope to post pictures/videos on the website, so stay tuned!

Comment

Awesome. I will definitely make a point of watching. This event and all activities surrounding it sound like a real treat for Canadian chess players. Congratulations on a superb organizing job! Sounds like alot of people will be having a ton of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamin Gluckie View Post
              The Battle at the Border is only a few days away. The chess festivities on Saturday get underway with a Nakamura/Charbonneau tandem simul, and the first round starts at 12:20 PM.

Throughout the event we will be broadcasting the top three chess boards live. Check out http://www.albertachess.org/2010BATB to watch.

Prior to this, on Friday afternoon a 2 on 2 basketball match will take place! GM Nakamura and FM Yoos will be up against GM Charbonneau and yours truly. I hope to post pictures/videos on the website, so stay tuned!
              Hi Jamin,

Can you give me details on the 2 on 2? Place, time, etc. I wouldn't mind getting there to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                Awesome. I will definitely make a point of watching. This event and all activities surrounding it sound like a real treat for Canadian chess players. Congratulations on a superb organizing job! Sounds like alot of people will be having a ton of fun.
                Thanks Hans. I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
                  Hi Jamin,

Can you give me details on the 2 on 2? Place, time, etc. I wouldn't mind getting there to watch.
                  The players will be arriving in Lloydminster around noon on Friday. We will probably have the basketball game a few hours after they get here and it will take place at the Commonwealth Centre (extreme south end of Lloyd on 50th Ave).

Tony, instead of watching maybe you should bring your basketball shoes and join in! IM Teplitsky will be on the sidelines so we can have a 3 on 3 match!

Comment

Wow, its been years since I've played b-ball. I'm at the mercy of my driver, James. Will see what we can do.

Comment

Working...
                    X