three separate tournaments...
    14 August

21 August

28 August

University of Windsor
    Erie Hall Room 1114
    (Skittles room 1115)

http://www.windsorchess.ca/ad100807.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What: CFC regular-rated chess tournaments
    Win or lose, each player plays 4 games

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When: Saturdays, 14, 21, and 28 August, 2010
    9.30 am till about 7.00pm.
    Rounds one is at 10.00

Where: University of Windsor, Erie Hall (on Sunset), Room 1114
    Free parking in the lot on the corner of Wyandotte and Sunset

Format: Probably one section, exact format to be determined on the day of the event

Time control: 60 mins per player per game (no increment, sigh)
    All chess equipment provided, including Saitek III digital clocks
    Player must record the moves

Cost: $10

CFC membership: Annual membership, $43 for adults, $27 for juniors.
    Single tournament membership ("T-option") $20 adults, $10 juniors.

Prizes: Medals or trophies

Check in 9.00 to 9.45
    You pay the entry fee at the door

Re: Windsor Tourneys 14 August, 21 August, 28 August

Thank you for posting your 1 day tournaments.

I am one of the many players who enjoy 1 day tournaments, whether blitz or rapid. And this is why i am looking at your ad with interest.

I have never played in Windsor, and is excited to meet players i have never seen before. The other bonus is for sightseeing.

I might bring one of my sons to ply with me. Just sorting out which Saturday i would be more free.

The $ 10 registration certainly offsets my gasoline expense.

I am looking forward to having more fun than winning.

Comment

Good luck with these tournaments! Single day events are tons of fun, and a great way to get new players involved.

I do have to say though, I couldn't help but sigh at the CFC single tournament membership being 2x the actual registration cost (for adults). It really seems like an annoying barrier to participating for someone who wants to use one of these tournaments to try rated chess for the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Longo View Post
        Good luck with these tournaments! Single day events are tons of fun, and a great way to get new players involved.

I do have to say though, I couldn't help but sigh at the CFC single tournament membership being 2x the actual registration cost (for adults). It really seems like an annoying barrier to participating for someone who wants to use one of these tournaments to try rated chess for the first time.
        I agree Tyler. I have not yet been able to appreciate the advantages of the $20 rate. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
          I agree Tyler. I have not yet been able to appreciate the advantages of the $20 rate. :(

Take a look at what FIDE and the CMA charge for membership....maybe there is something to learn from this ...maybe not :)

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
            Take a look at what FIDE
            in k$ :)

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Longo View Post

It is a disincentive but if you only play in Windsor, you will get lots of opportunities to play in inexpensive tournaments so the full membership is the better option. There have already been several of these events held over the last several weeks with a reasonable turnout. I haven't really participated because events conflicted with the Canadian Open and Ontario Closed. We have a decent sized pool of young players who don't go out of town for tournaments much so this is a way to draw them into the CFC fold.

Denton indicated tonight that he plans to hold these events on a regular basis. He is also looking at some events in conjunction with John Coleman. One idea to make them attractive to out of towners is to have four rounds over two days with a start time for the first round of 12 noon, the second round at 4 or 5 pm with a time control of maybe game in 90 minutes with or without an increment and then have the second day's rounds at something like 9:30 am and 2 pm so that out of towners can drive home in the daylight and also so that those on a budget can get by with one night in a motel or hotel.

They just have to decide on a date that won't conflict with other major events in Southwestern Ontario. Any thoughts on this idea?

These tournaments are sponsored by the CUPE local at the University of Windsor to which Denton belongs and give him access to an excellent site with a skittles/analysis room as well as a playing hall.

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
                Thank you for posting your 1 day tournaments.

I am one of the many players who enjoy 1 day tournaments, whether blitz or rapid. And this is why i am looking at your ad with interest.

I have never played in Windsor, and is excited to meet players i have never seen before. The other bonus is for sightseeing.

I might bring one of my sons to ply with me. Just sorting out which Saturday i would be more free.

The $ 10 registration certainly offsets my gasoline expense.

I am looking forward to having more fun than winning.
                I will probably be in Hamilton for the one on the 21st but if you let Denton know ahead of time we can probably encourage some of the locals to come out and get a fairly competitive top section going with some 2100s and Class A players and maybe even a 2200 player or two.

Comment

We may be able to get Zoltan Kiraly (2240) in a few of these as well.

Comment

Hi guys,

Do you have tournaments in September?

Can't make it in the coming 2 Saturdays as I was asked to work....

Just went to Brantford and played some recreational chess there.....

Comment

Hi Erwin,

Yes, I believe that is Denton's intention from our most recent conversation. I'm not sure if he is going to be reading Chesstalk or be online until Thursday or so. I or Denton will post something once plans are finalized.

Vlad

Comment

Yep, there definitely will be tournaments in September as well.

We're probably going to stick to continue with a weekly format.
                        Let me know ahead of time what weekends you're planning to come by. Easier to get some of other strong players out when they know others are coming.

Comment

Working...
                        X