Toronto Labour Day Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Labour Day Open

Can someone give me the URL for the tournament's website? There's nothing listed on the CT Calendar, the GTCL Chess Calendar nor the CFC Website. Google only brings up sites on the 2009 Toronto Labour Day.

I believe it is on Sat., Sept. 4 - Mon. Sept. 6, at the Chess Institute of Canada site, on Bathurst St., north of Bloor. Thanks.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Thursday, 12th August, 2010, 10:37 PM.

Re: Toronto Labour Day Open

http://www.gtachessevents.memberlodge.com/Default.aspx

Comment

I don't think this location is good enough for big chess tournament in Toronto.
      No air-condition, poor lighting, no parking... Probably now is to late to change it, but traditional location for Macedonian tournament was much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
        No air-condition, poor lighting, no parking... Probably now is to late to change it, but traditional location for Macedonian tournament was much better.
        One of the foreign participants in the recent 2010 Ontario Open comemnted that this location, during summer, is good for "Sauna and Chess".

I wonder what happened to the old venue....

Comment

Old Venue is not available.

I'm hoping that Bryan will be able to talk to the people that run the place and get things in better order.

The lighting was poor and I'd suggest that Bryan uses the basement and the other rooms for the tournament. Lighting was fine in those rooms and because of the smaller areas were kept cooler.
          If Bryan has to use the big room then 2 major things would have to change.
          1. Lighting
          2. Window Air conditioners or find out how the Ceiling fans and exhaust works and get the room cooled off or use the whole place and get the best conditions for your rental dollar.

I did not mind the place but the First Time organizers made a few mistakes.

I travel Public Transit so parking was not a big deal however when I got a ride we were able to find parking very close to site. You just have to leave early!!!
          Last edited by John Brown; Friday, 13th August, 2010, 12:08 PM. Reason: forgot something in post

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
            I played at the Ontario Open and thoroughly enjoyed myself. It was unusually hot that weekend and there were some problems sorting out how to use the building's ventilation system. So it was a bit toasty at times. However, I found the room spacious and the lighting to be good. As far as parking went, I didn't have any trouble but I know the neighborhood. There are parking lots just off Bloor near Bathurst (not that far south of the playing hall) and the tournament location is well served by public transportation.

I believe it was the first time for the organizer to put on an open tournament (he usually focuses on kids) and there were some small glitches but nothing serious. The TD was new to me and I think he handled things very well. Overall, I think it was good weekend of chess. I hope the organizer decides to put on other events at that site.

I'm looking forward to playing at the Labour Day tournament. The Macedonian Hall is a fine location but it has it's issues too (for instance, if there is vigorous dancing going on one floor up, it can be distracting). It's pretty tough to get a perfect playing location for tournaments in Toronto without having to pay and arm and a leg. Let's hope it isn't too terribly hot on Labour Day weekend in which case, I think the location will be just fine.

Steve Karpik

Comment

Working...
            X