Canadian Open & Closed History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Open & Closed History

From May 1996 - 2005, crosstables are available if you know one of the participants and you can find it that way through the rating feature.

One of the former CFC employees may know what exists in the way of crosstables from 1973-1996, I can't remember what year we first went to computer ratings.

Ditto pre 1973. I understand rating records at this time were kept on index cards.

Obviously we should have records of CC & CO event winners and crosstables on the website, but we don't. Nor do we have the staff to do this.

There are several Chess Historians who have performed primary research and have some of the information. However, we would have to negotiate with them, if we ever wanted to simply slap their research on our own web site.

I would ask anyone who is reading and is willing to have their information copied to the new website to let me know and we'll work on it once we're up and going.

Re: Canadian Open & Closed History

Most Closed and Open crosstables - although not necessarily the complete crosstable (as well as Canadian Juniors and Cadets) were printed in the CFC magazines (or Chess Chat or Chess Canada if prior to 1974). Does someone simply scan these - or re-type them by hand?

For those tournaments for which my database has all the games (with round numbers), Chessbase can easily produce a crosstable (e.g. 1986-87 Canadian Junior below). Unfortunately - there are very few Juniors and Cadets for which I have all the games.

Code:
    CAN-ch U20 1986-87  1986

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 
    1   Huda,Rehan        2164  +240  * 1 0 ½ 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1   8.5/11  40.50
    2   Puri,Vinny        2315   +76  0 * 1 1 ½ ½ ½ 1 1 1 1 1   8.5/11  40.00
    3   Gentes,Kevin      2210  +190  1 0 * ½ ½ ½ 1 1 1 1 1 1   8.5/11  38.75
    4   Girard,Robin      2218  +139  ½ 0 ½ * 1 ½ 1 1 1 ½ 1 1   8.0/11
    5   Southam,Todd      2300   -22  0 ½ ½ 0 * ½ ½ 1 1 1 1 1   7.0/11
    6   Sasata,Robert     2199    -9  0 ½ ½ ½ ½ * 0 ½ ½ 1 ½ 1   5.5/11  25.50
    7   Basanta,Gary      2261   -77  0 ½ 0 0 ½ 1 * 1 ½ ½ ½ 1   5.5/11  23.75
    8   Johnson,Tyler     2125    +6  1 0 0 0 0 ½ 0 * ½ 1 1 ½   4.5/11
    9   Peckford,William  2163  -141  0 0 0 0 0 ½ ½ ½ * ½ 1 0   3.0/11
    10  Demers,Chris      2049   -58  0 0 0 ½ 0 0 ½ 0 ½ * ½ ½   2.5/11  10.50
    11  Bosenius,Bob      2076   -88  0 0 0 0 0 ½ ½ 0 0 ½ * 1   2.5/11  8.75
    12  Johnson,Chris     2199  -271  0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ½ 1 ½ 0 *   2.0/11

Comment

At least half the answer has already been given by Stephen Wright

http://www3.telus.net/public/swright2/homepage.html

+ Many rating crosstables have been preserved by the National Archives of Canada, including Open and Closed. I posted the X-table and (first) magazine report for 1976 Open on this forum, nobody commented, even though it was relevant to the then discussion at hand.

+ Computerization of ratings started circa 1980. However, the computer diskette records were reportedly dumpstered by a CFC Executive whose name I will not mention here.

Italics mine, to show that a lot of people don't care about this kind of stuff.

Comment

Yes. I think the material is out there, just a matter of getting a group to get permission to use and assemble it in one place.

David Cohen's site is copyrighted, but contains biographical sketches on hundreds of Canadians.

Sounds like a project for someone. For the time being we should collect all of the history links into a common location on the web site.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
          site is copyrighted
          If results are right, I don't think that they can be copyrighted :D

Comment

I wrote an article on the Canadian Open championship for wikipedia.org, with some background and colour, and all sites with winners by year. This has been updated since. :)

Comment

At this year's Canadian Open I made 8 posters of past Canadian Opens until 1994, most of them with the top half of the crosstables. I ran out of time to get to 2009.

I do have a scanned copy of almost all of the crosstables. I was considering making a massive crosstable listing all players who have ever played and their results throughout the years. Then we could see things like who has won the most games in the Canadian Open.

If there's a place for the posters or scanned crosstables I would be happy to resize them and email them.

Comment

Erik wrote:

Then we could see things like who has won the most games in the Canadian Open.
                I have played approximately 317 games in assorted Canadian Opens (there might be a couple of others I won by default). I haven't figured out my score yet - but it would probably be somewhere around 180 points out of the 317+ games. Can anyone beat that? (Phil Haley, maybe? Lawrence Day?)

Comment

CFC Website Updating - Can. Chess History - Volunteer

Hi Fred:

There is another thread on this board also dealing with this issue of chess history on the CFC Website: " Kevin Spraggett takes one entire month to slam our new CFC president... ". The thread has departed a bit now from the original theme.

Anyway, a CFC member, Steve Douglas expressed keen interest in the fact that CFC did not have any history on its website ( the issue aroused him because he found out on that thread that Kevin Spraggett was 4 times Canadian Closed Champion, twice tied for first in the Closed and lost the playoffs, was 3 times sole Can. Open Champion, and 5 times Open Co-champion. He wondered why such an impressive record was not a fact made known by the CFC website ). The upshot of this was that I advised that Gerry had no time to research the history, or to post it. I inquired, after he hinted, whether he might be indicating a willingness to volunteer to do this task for the CFC. He said yes!

So I am sending you Steve's e-mail, so the Executive ( whomever is going to be charged with the website updating file ) can contact Steve, and see what he might be willing to do. I am copying Steve so he knows I've done this.

Bob

Comment

I have begun uploading Canadian Open crosstables to my website (B.C. Chess History) - not much there yet, it takes a while to convert a 200-player event into html, although there are links to all the crosstables available via the CFC database.

If the CFC wants to make use of my information/crosstables, I'm open to discussion.

Comment

Working...
                    X