Canadian Closed Format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Closed Format

I am curious to see what people think of the current Canadian Closed format. Right now it is a swiss with a rating limit around 2200 or so.

Would players prefer this format to the old format of a 12 player round robin where players qualify through their provincial championship, with the remaining players coming from the rating list.

Any thoughts?

Re: Canadian Closed Format

I'd personally love to see that format. Of course if we were going back to it you'd need at least 2 years warning so that all the provinces have time to properly qualify people, or else go with the top-rated in each province where no Closed was held.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
      I am curious to see what people think of the current Canadian Closed format. Right now it is a swiss with a rating limit around 2200 or so.

Would players prefer this format to the old format of a 12 player round robin where players qualify through their provincial championship, with the remaining players coming from the rating list.

Any thoughts?
      A round robin is definately the way to go. Everyone has the same opponents, with the one exception they can't play themselves. :)

That format for qualifying is also the way to go, in my opinion,
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

A round robin for championships is surely a no-brainer over a swiss? But didn't the whole can of worms emerge from the reality of Canadian geography, and the difficulty of players committing to a lengthy round robin?

Perhaps times are changing, and the time for the round robin is upon us again......
        Fred Harvey

Comment

I thought the old format was much better, but also that the CFC went to the current format because it wanted at least some players to pay entry fees, to help out Closed organizers (and thus the CFC) financially. In the CFC's present financial condition (barring raiding the Foundation) it may not be very able to help Closed organizers financially as much as in the past.

A pity for the quality of the Canadian Closed, and also a pity because organizing a more meaningful Ontario Closed (as it would be under the old Canadian Closed format) would help justify the OCA's existence a bit more.
          Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
          Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

The format was changed to a swiss to allow for prizes. Thirty or forty players makes for better prizes than 16 players (the previous format). All national events became self-financing.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
              The format was changed to a swiss to allow for prizes. Thirty or forty players makes for better prizes than 16 players (the previous format). All national events became self-financing.
              I thought Tony was writing about an event to be held in Alberta. In my opinion, Alberta is currently organizing the best chess events in Canada.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

... the old format of a 12-player round robin where players qualify through their provincial championship, with the remaining players coming from the rating list...
                I believe the old format, about 20 years ago, was a 16-player round robin.

The cost of the event is daunting, and how can it to be financed?

Comment

The ACA is not considering running this event at this point in time. However, that does not mean they will not entertain the idea in the future.

I would love to see a return to the old format if possible. John Coleman is correct in stating that the old format was a 16 player round robiin. 15 rounds is a tough go these days. I do believe a 12 player rr is possible.

I don't think you would have to give 2 years notice as Chris Mallon suggests. 2 years would be great but 1 year would be sufficient for the provinces to organize their qualifiers.

I wouldn't expect that the CFC return to a rr format for the closed for each zonal year. I would suggest that the CFC allow a rr format for any organizer who can produce one. We changed to the swiss format and I ran the first one in 1999. Had the format called for a rr back then, there was no way we could have held that event.

Comment

... Would players prefer this format to the old format of a 12 player round robin where players qualify through their provincial championship, with the remaining players coming from the rating list.
                    It would be good to see the old 16 player, RR format again but it should be the 16 best players in Canada (FQE to be included). What did you have in mind when you referred to players qualifying through their provincial championship?
                    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Well this is what I was thinking.

The qualifiers would be as follows...

Current Canadian Champion
                      Runner-up from last Closed
                      Atlantic Provinces winner
                      Quebec winner
                      Ontario winner
                      Manitoba/Sask winner
                      Alberta winner
                      BC winner
                      4 from the rating list

The provinces would have to stage their own provincial championships. The format would be the responsibility of the province.

Comment

We need some input from the strong players. Would they be willing to give up two weeks for an event such as this? Could you find a two-week period in which all 12 players would agree upon? Of course - money talks - and if there was suitable sponsorship money to supply:

1) A suitable site.
                        2) Accomodation and meals.
                        3) (possibly) transportation - or at least part of it.
                        4) A prize fund to make it worthwhile for the players.
                        5) Possibly additional appearance fees for GM's.

Comment

Well this is what I was thinking.

The qualifiers would be as follows...

Current Canadian Champion
                          Runner-up from last Closed
                          Atlantic Provinces winner
                          Quebec winner
                          Ontario winner
                          Manitoba/Sask winner
                          Alberta winner
                          BC winner
                          4 from the rating list

The provinces would have to stage their own provincial championships. The format would be the responsibility of the province.
                          How about this instead?:
                          1. current Canadian champ
                          2. runner-up from last closed
                          3. current Canadian junior champ
                          4. 13 top players from combined CFC/FQE rating lists
                          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                            How about this instead?:
                            1. current Canadian champ
                            2. runner-up from last closed
                            3. current Canadian junior champ
                            4. 13 top players from combined CFC/FQE rating lists
                            No! You need to get away from the all-consuming ratings. Provincial championships are the way to go. Since when did any other "sport" reward ratings as opposed to real victories in the heat of the battle. Only in chess you say.......
                            Fred Harvey

Comment

Without a concrete proposal I doubt there will be a change in that event.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X