FIDE Cash Grab ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE Cash Grab ?

I remember when FIDE first came out with the new CM/WCM titles and very few people were interested initially it looked a little like a cash grab to me. I'm noticing lately that we have many more juniors in Canada interested in or attaining these titles.

Does this present a problem for the CFC or has FIDE reduced the fees associated with these titles ? I would think each nation might have a minimum title level it considers appropriate; once you grant a a few of them then you may have to honour dozens.

Re: FIDE Cash Grab ?

As I remember it, when the FM title came into existence, most people I knew were rather dismissive of the title. Eventually, it seems it has become a title people aspire to and are proud of. Opinions on these matters are evolutionary.

Comment

Re: FIDE Cash Grab ?

FM still counts as a Master title towards others earning norms. CM does not.

I believe it was decided at a previous AGM that the CFC would not pay for CM/WCM titles, but that we would certainly process the application should anyone want to put up the money themselves (50 euros?)
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re : FIDE Cash Grab ?

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
        I remember when FIDE first came out with the new CM/WCM titles and very few people were interested initially it looked a little like a cash grab to me.
        Absolutely. A cash grab and another mean to undermine national federations and their rating systems. Traditionnally candidate masters (experts) and masters have been national titles ruled by national federations. Thanks to FIDE that might disappear or at least become obsolete, leaving those federations with fewer and fewer tools and more and more dependant on FIDE.

Comment

Working...
        X