Chess Addicts Anonymous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Addicts Anonymous

My name is Gary and I am a chess addict.

My days are spent calculating chess moves and reading chess theory. My nights are spent working on chess variations with my eyes closed to check the next day.

My most usual reply when asked to do something, if I even hear the request, is "hang on a second". It's never a second.

A meal with conversation occurs if I happen to make it to the table before my wife has finished eating.

When I finish a game the result is obvious from my mood.

The spines of many of my chess books are worn out. The pages yellowed and bent. Underlining and writing on the pages. And, that's only the newer ones.

I can't remember my age but do recall the first 20 moves of my favourite lines.

I have both newspapers delivered Saturday so I can read both chess columns.

:):D:)
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Re: Chess Addicts Anonymous

chess is silly im a movie addict instead ^_________^
    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
      chess is silly im a movie addict instead ^_________^
      I gave up my summer career in show business. I cast off the shackles of my billiards career to hustle speed chess. :)

What have you cast off for movies?
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        I gave up my summer career in show business. I cast off the shackles of my billiards career to hustle speed chess. :)

What have you cast off for movies?
        nothing dude, i still manage to stay steady indie...

there is no need to be casting stuff off \:
        everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          My name is Gary and I am a chess addict.

The spines of many of my chess books are worn out. The pages yellowed and bent. Underlining and writing on the pages. And, that's only the newer ones.

:):D:)
          Gary, I hope you fully recovered from your ailment and capable to run around in the neighborhood. Would you be so kind to provide a list of the newer books with bet pages.

Best Wishes,
          A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Klubis View Post
            Gary, I hope you fully recovered from your ailment and capable to run around in the neighborhood.
            There is no cure. Chess is a lifetime addiction.

I had a girlfriend for a few years when I was a youngster. She asked me if I liked her or chess better. I really liked her but it was no contest. Had to admit it was:

Mirror, mirror on the wall,
            Who'd the fairest of them all,

While you are lovely and most fair,
            Chess is fairer still.

So she cast me off for a musician. Told me he had more of a future than a chess player. (This is a true story with slight embellishment.)
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Gary,

Is it true that you have portraits of all chess World Champions hanging on the wall in your house?
              A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Klubis View Post
                Gary,

Is it true that you have portraits of all chess World Champions hanging on the wall in your house?
                No. That's urban legend. However, the outdoor convenience is wall papered with the share certificates of some of my oil and gas companies which didn't quite make it.

Have you no tales of the many things you have cast aside in your pursuit of the goddess Caissa?

Regale us with your many exploits, trials and sacrifice in your quest for chess excellence.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The only affliction worse than addiction to chess is ... Amaurosis Scacchistica - very painful indeed!!
                  Last edited by David Lawless; Wednesday, 25th August, 2010, 09:26 PM. Reason: Latin spelling

Comment

Originally posted by David Lawless View Post
                    The only affliction worse than addiction to chess is ... Amaurosis Scacchistica - very painful indeed!!
                    The terrible consequences of pressing an attack to the exclusion of all else.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I prefer to remain anonymous.
                      I am a chess addict. :( I do get a 2-day high from a win. I get an unbelievable low when I lose. Losing some games has been close to PTSD. I am currently working on accepting loss. So I have lost on purpose just to get beyond the obsessive need to win always.
                      I need to train more than I do to prevent losing a lot .:o

Comment

Working...
                      X