HamiltonSummer Open 2010: She Came, She Saw, She Took My King!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HamiltonSummer Open 2010: She Came, She Saw, She Took My King!!

WIM Yuanling Yuan came to Hamilton this summer and kicked the butt of everyone she played except for Mavros Whissell, who despite an edge, only managed to get a draw against her.

Meanwhile, IM Artiom Samsonkin was treating his Hamilton opponents the way he always does -like a lawnmower treats grass - until finally Roman Sapozhnikov was able to get a draw against him.

(Bob, Roman, Doug, Yuanling, Ferdinand, Leslie)

Then sunset came and the round 5 showdown began. Artiom and Yuanling were on board 1 with Yuanling playing the white pieces. After the moves 1.e4 c5 2.Na3 you knew this game was going to get interesting. Finally, after a tense struggle it was check and mate and Yuanling was holding the cash for first place.

Congratulations Yuanling! You have helped to make this one of our most exciting events ever.

Meanwhile the u1900 section was having its own epic struggle in round four as Ferdinand Supsup faced off against Nicholas O'Bumsawin from Sudbury. When the dust settled Ferdinand had the victory in hand. Nicholas won his 5th round game; but, it was only good enough for second place as Ferdinand just needed a draw to secure first overall.

(Nicholas O'Bumsawin)

The excitement didn't end there as there was a 4 way tie for first in the junior section: Michael Huang, Janet Peng, Constance Wang and Junwen Jiang amazingly each had 4 points out of 5 and would need to face off in a blitz tie breaker for the trophies. Since they are all first place in my books I'm not going to say who won what trophy.

(Junwen, Constance, Janet, Michael)

Here is a summery of the prize winners. The prize fund was $1500.00

Open
    1st with 4.5 points - Yuanling Yuan $500
    2nd-3rd with 4 points - Roman Sapozhnikov & Doug Bailey $240 each

U1900
    1st with 4.5 points - Ferdinand Supsup $300
    2nd with 4 points - Nicholas O'Bumsawin $150
    3rd with 3.5 points - Joe Bellomo & Leslie Tang $40 each

Juniors
    Michael Huang, Janet Peng, Constance Wang and Junwen Jiang each received a trophy. A radio was also be given to the junior who took home the 4th place trophy.

I want to thank all the players who came to Hamilton this summer. You have once again made this a special tournament.

I would like to thank Joe Ellis and Gordon Gooding for their work in helping me prepare for this event. Rusty, thank you for your help on the demo boards. Rene Preotu thank you for the large amount of work you did and the loan of your equipment.

I'd also like to give a very special thanks to Bob Gillanders and Mikhail Egorov who worked their butts off during the entire weekend AND played as floaters when needed.

As Newton said, "I just look tall cause I'm standing on the shoulder of giants"
    (well that's my version of it anyways..)

Ok everyone, our next event will be in February or March 2011. Be there or be square.

To see more photographs of this event please visit the following thread:
    Photographs and games from this event

To see the Standings and Wall Charts please click on the following link:
    Standings and Wall Charts For Hamilton Summer Open 2010
    (In some browsers you may need to click on tournament image to see the results)

To find out more about upcoming Hamilton events and our chess club please visit:
    The Hamilton City Chess Club
    Last edited by Garvin Nunes; Tuesday, 24th August, 2010, 01:47 PM. Reason: Making Correction

Re: HamiltonSummer Open 2010: She Came, She Saw, She Took My King!!

Thanks for your efforts organizing and directing this tournament. Thanks to Bob Gillanders and Mikhail Egorov for bringing this event to fruition. Both were immersed in their floater games when I left to head home while there was yet light on the road.

Congratulations to Yuanling who has made incredible strides in the last few years. Also congratulations to the many young players in the 1600 range who won't be there much longer judging from their impressive results.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
      Thanks for your efforts organizing and directing this tournament. Thanks to Bob Gillanders and Mikhail Egorov for bringing this event to fruition. Both were immersed in their floater games when I left to head home while there was yet light on the road.

Congratulations to Yuanling who has made incredible strides in the last few years. Also congratulations to the many young players in the 1600 range who won't be there much longer judging from their impressive results.
      Thanks Vlad. If you have any ideas on how we can improve our tournaments make sure you email us or post them here.

Comment

Great tournament! Thanks to everyone. Hamilton's always one of my fav's, worth the drive.

Comment

Working...
        X