Chess in the Library BIG NEWS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess in the Library BIG NEWS

Well, It's been exactly 14 months since Chess in the Library has been established and right now, right here, at this moment, I have some big news to announce!

1. Chess in the Library is going official! That means the Toronto Public Library (TPL) and Chess in the Library (CITL) will be signing a partnership contract very soon. It will outline each partner's mission and goals, as well as the roles and responsibilities in the partnership.

2. Due to the partnership, we will be establishing an executive board within Chess in the Library. The election will be held shortly and the results will be announced no later than 2 weeks (read our website or my blog!). Also, a written constitution will follow.

3. As of now, we have expanded the program to 11 different locations in Toronto excluding 1 more downtown that is still starting-up (Bloor/Gladstone). However, we are working on expanding the program to cities outside of Toronto, starting with Ottawa. The project there is lead by strong Canadian junior, Joey Qin. Joey has already talked to the librarians at his local library and they all love the idea! Right now, it's just a matter of settling down the starting date. Also, I went to Hamilton for a chess tournament last weekend and spoke to a few local chess enthusiasts. They told me that the central library is a very popular place for the local residences to play chess casually. So Hamilton is definitely our second target. Our third target is Montreal as I'm going there for the Montreal Open in a few weeks. I already contacted the tournament organizer about helping us to get in touch with the local libraries there. I have confidence in myself and my team that we can take this big step - expand the program outside of Toronto! :)

That's all for the BIG NEWS....

Once our 11th location officially starts running (end of October), we have absolutely no chess sets left in our storage. We really need to purchase more chess sets very soon and the money that we have from previous donations is not enough. Also, due to the fact that the kids at each branch have improved their skills significantly over the past year (they borrow chess books to read in the library!), we've received many requests of placing a few chess clocks at each branch. Although we did receive some from donations, it doesn't seem to be enough for all of our 11 locations at the moment. Finally, we're hoping to purchase an annual trophy for the library team that wins the Open section of our annual festival (there will be an article on the festival this year in the August issue of the CFC e-Newsletter!) each year. It would be placed in that library for a year and then transfered to the next winning library afterwards. I've done some research on this and the cheapest one costs around $100 including tax (http://www.dgtrophies.ca/AOD/pages/A...nction-62.html). If you know any other good deals, let me know!

When I first founded Chess in the Library last June, financial problems was a big barrier to getting our second location started. It was because of all of donors and sponsors who generously funded our program in some way or other that we were able to expand the program furthermore. From the very beginning, I set ourselves the goal of expanding Chess in the Library nation wide. The goal has not changed today and it never will. My team and I will put in 110% into this project so that simply more kids in Canada can enjoy playing chess. However, financial things we cannot control. We really hope that it's not money that stops us from moving forward. After all, the money goes towards the chess equipment, the kids, and the dream, not us.

If you care about the chess community in Canada and hope to promote chess along with us, please support Chess in the Library's new expansion project. It doesn't really matter how much you donate or what you donate, it's the thought that counts! Even a small donation such as $5 will make a big difference! My team and I will really appreciate anything that you are willing to contribute. :)

Thank you for taking the time to read this~
    my contact info is yuanling_1@yahoo.com

Re: Chess in the Library BIG NEWS

Yuanling wrote:

Our third target is Montreal as I'm going there for the Montreal Open in a few weeks. I already contacted the tournament organizer about helping us to get in touch with the local libraries there
    In Montreal, there is chess activity in various libraries. You would definitely need a knowledge of French (or have a contact that does) to proceed very far. Here are a few listings.

Westmount (mostly English-speaking area): the library has organized chess for adults - see http://www.westlib.org/library/cal_e...ent_Type_ID=14

Cote St. Luc (mostly English-speaking area - although the most spoken mother tongues following English are French, Russian, and Yiddish): the library has unorganized chess - it seems to be tolerated as long as you are quiet. http://www.elcslpl.org/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%B4...nt-Luc,_Quebec

Montreal Children's Library - Jean-Rivard branch (mostly French and Italian area): organized kids chess weekly. http://www.thekidscoop.com/en/event/chess-club-7542

Richmond Square branch (French/English area): organized "games club" weekly.
    http://www.mcl-bjm.ca/english/branch...ichmond_Square

Atwater branch (French/English area): organized kids chess weekly.
    http://www.mcl-bjm.ca/english/branches.html#Atwater

Comment

Yuanling: When I first saw a reference to Yuanling Chess Library "program" in some of the CFC documents I have, I thought it was talking about your own personal chess library.

Now that I've seen the pictures you've posted and reading all that your doing for junior age players through the libraries, I can't begin to conceptualize that you're doing all this as a grade 9 or 10 student.

Simply amazing. My hat goes off to you. Keep up the good work, and realize we'll all be right behind you at the Olympics.

PS: Looking forward to meeting you someday.

Comment

Were you looking for a monetary donation towards clocks, or would a donation of clocks be accepted as well?

I'm sure lots of people - and clubs! - have old analog clocks sitting around collecting dust. Some might even have older digital ones that aren't used anymore.
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Hugh - Wow the information that you provided is excellent! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. Well, I'm taking french all 4 years in school and I also went to the Explore french camp this summer. Basic french communication should be okay for me... :) Perhaps I can contact the libraries and see if we could get their chess clubs to join the Chess in the Library network.

Fred - Thank you for your kind words. While it's true that I did put a lot of effort into this project, it's not just me that's making Chess in the Library possible each week. Over the past year, we've had more than 40 student volunteers involved with the program in some form or another. Simply an individual can't accomplish much, teamwork is the key to success! So here I would also like to thank all of my follow team members that tried so hard to organize the weekly meets at each library! The list of names can be found at our website www.chessinthelibrary.com. :D

Christopher - BOTH! Like I said earlier, absolutely ANY chess related item that anyone's willing to donate will be accepted gratefully. However, we're are looking for monetary donations towards our next shipment of 100 chess sets from a US wholesale. But if a chess club would like to donated sets or clocks that would also be awesome! We don't need those expensive digital ones, just simply the analog ones would bring so much excitement to the kids! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Yuanling Yuan View Post
            Hugh - Wow the information that you provided is excellent! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. Well, I'm taking french all 4 years in school and I also went to the Explore french camp this summer. Basic french communication should be okay for me... :) Perhaps I can contact the libraries and see if we could get their chess clubs to join the Chess in the Library network.

Fred - Thank you for your kind words. While it's true that I did put a lot of effort into this project, it's not just me that's making Chess in the Library possible each week. Over the past year, we've had more than 40 student volunteers involved with the program in some form or another. Simply an individual can't accomplish much, teamwork is the key to success! So here I would also like to thank all of my follow team members that tried so hard to organize the weekly meets at each library! The list of names can be found at our website www.chessinthelibrary.com. :D

Christopher - BOTH! Like I said earlier, absolutely ANY chess related item that anyone's willing to donate will be accepted gratefully. However, we're are looking for monetary donations towards our next shipment of 100 chess sets from a US wholesale. But if a chess club would like to donated sets or clocks that would also be awesome! We don't need those expensive digital ones, just simply the analog ones would bring so much excitement to the kids! :)
            Hi Yuanling, we haven't really met, but I know Joey and his father here in Ottawa. I have dozens of old analog clocks collecting dust somewhere in the basement, and will try to dig them up before they biodegrade, lol. Some of them might need a little fixing, but I know someone who would do it, and I could pay for any spare parts he might need.

I will get back to Joey with this, as I see him almost every Thursday at the RA club.

All the best, Aris.

Comment

Hi Aris,

That's awesome news! The program in Ottawa has been officially confirmed so Joey and the club there would definitely be able to use those clocks. Thanks so much for your generous donation! We will add you to our list of donors and sponsors on our website soon. :)

Comment

Working...
              X