Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saying 'Check'

Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post
    I once saw someone at a tournament announce "Mate in 5" to his opponent. The funny part was that he was wrong and the position was actually mate in 4, so he was forfeited.
    I certainly fail to see why he was forfeited... Any idea what the justification was? (I hope he hadn't been doing that throughout the entire game... eg: when he made his first move he announced "mate in 23")
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      I certainly fail to see why he was forfeited... Any idea what the justification was? (I hope he hadn't been doing that throughout the entire game... eg: when he made his first move he announced "mate in 23")
      Actually that part of my post was a joke, he wasn't forfeited, but he did receive a warning from the TD not to do it again. The rest is true though, including about the mate in 4 instead of mate in 5.

Comment

Actually thinking about announcing mate, it might be fun as a way of making chess more interesting as a spectator sport to allow players to announce mate and have prizes for the largest number of moves in advance a player correctly announces it.

Another idea would be to allow a player in a lost position to make a draw if he correctly states that the opponent has missed a forced mate. Thus, players will always have an incentive to play games out to the bitter end.

What do people think of these ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
          Why would you, unless you're like 5?
          At my local club all the older guys say 'check' and finally asked me why I don't say it. The also say 'en guard' when the queen is under attack as well. They thought that it was part of the rules to say 'Check' and were surprised when I told them that you aren't supposed to say it.

Comment

Do they also use the rule in which if you don't want to move a Pawn two squares, you can move two Pawns one square each? I've had people insist that that rule exists.

Another "rule" - you can only have one Queen on the board - you must promote to something else if you still have a Q. Variant - you can only promote to a piece which has been captured (if nothing has been captured - your P remains a P).

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Lohner View Post
              At my local club all the older guys say 'check' and finally asked me why I don't say it. The also say 'en guard' when the queen is under attack as well. They thought that it was part of the rules to say 'Check' and were surprised when I told them that you aren't supposed to say it.
              Well, in more or less friendly club games the rules are properly more relaxed and not so strictly enforced. No problem with that as long as both sides understand.

When the tournament play starts, things get serious.

Comment

I once had an opponent who insisted that after his king reached the 8th rank (my first) he should get a pawn placed right in front of it and that pawn would then be going in the opposite direction of all the other pawns!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
                  I once had an opponent who insisted that after his king reached the 8th rank (my first) he should get a pawn placed right in front of it and that pawn would then be going in the opposite direction of all the other pawns!
                  Never had that one, but I once had a kid try to uncastle.

Comment

Oddly enough I've never had anyone complain that I don't say check. Maybe because they see how repetetive it would be in a Queen endgame when I'm chasing their King around the board. Last time I did this I didn't even say checkmate at the end.

In a related matter, is it appropriate to say check mate, even if it isn't but you just think it is?

I always felt it was up to my opponent to decide if he or she had any moves or if it was checkmate and they had as long as they wanted to decide if it was.

Comment

Ways of Resigning - What's " Legal "?

What is the correct " legal " way to resign ( when the position is a forced checkmate, or just losing )? There seem to be many informal practices that I have seen:

1. loser says " I resign " - Is this permitted legal talking to your opponent? ;

2. loser extends his hand to shake yours - usually the winner, if the opponent has said nothing, must speak to the hand offerer and ask " Are you resigning ? " The opponent could be meaning anything - eg. he's illegally offering a draw ! Is this legally permitted " speaking ", to confirm he is resigning?;

3. the loser tips over his King and walks away from the board, saying nothing, leaving his clock running - where someone does this, and says nothing, do you have to wait for the clock to run out? The problem is what if he returned, set up his King, and made a move and punched the clock ( even where checkmate was available ) If you had left the board to go inquire of the arbiter what you should do, and had paused the clock, all of a sudden, your clock is running! Could the opponent get away with this one?

4. the loser leaves the board without saying or doing anything, and without moving or stopping his clock - in this case I think it is clear that you have no alternative but to wait for his clock to run out. If there is a forced mate on the board, though, can you pause the clock, call the arbiter, and claim a win ( thus not having to wait around ) ?

Bob

Comment

Bob, I think you write the result on your scoresheet, sign it, show it to your opponent, they sign your sheet, they write the result on their sheet & you both then sign the opponents score sheet as well. Just a guess.

Comment

Bob wrote:

4. the loser leaves the board without saying or doing anything, and without moving or stopping his clock - in this case I think it is clear that you have no alternative but to wait for his clock to run out. If there is a forced mate on the board, though, can you pause the clock, call the arbiter, and claim a win ( thus not having to wait around ) ?
                          To avoid this, we sometimes had a "house rule" which stated that you could not leave the playing area for a period longer than 10? (15?) minutes without notifying an arbiter - otherwise you lost the game.

Comment

Working...
                          X