Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess in Library (Ottawa)

Hi everybody!

Although I have been quite busy this summer, playing in big tournaments here and there, I managed to make time to talk to my local library programs coordinator about the Chess in Library program.

My library branch has supported this program with enthusiasm. My goal is to promote chess in Ottawa, because it really is a great game that benefits people in many ways. I am starting with my local Barrhaven branch Ruth E. Dickinson but once the program begins rolling, I am planning to expand to other libraries in Ottawa.

The program will be starting on September 18, every Saturday from 1:30 pm-3:00 pm in the Ruth E. Dickinson branch. Anyone over 6 years old can join the program. You can register online beginning on September 15 with your own library card.

In order to run this program, I am looking for donations (I need around 15 chess boards/pieces, 1 or 2 display boards, and some clocks). I would be very grateful if you could help me carry out my goal and introduce the amazing game of chess to the citizens of Ottawa.

Also, I am looking for volunteers to help me out with the program. If you are willing to volunteer, make donations or help me out in any way, please contact me at joey_qin@hotmail.com :D

Many thanks,

Joey

Re: Chess in Library (Ottawa)

Joey - I'm glad to hear that the program has been officially approved!! :D We shall list this info on our website shortly. Did you see the other post where Aris from RA Centre said that he would like to contribute a dozen clocks? He said that he would be in contact with you.

Expanding the program outside of Toronto is truly a milestone for our organization. Thanks to Joey and his local library for making it possible! Joey has been working very hard since the beginning of this summer despite having to play in many large tournaments.

I really hope that everyone here will continue to support Chess in the Library and our innovations. Joey wouldn't be asking for chess sets if we still have some in our storage. The truth is, all of our pieces have been distributed to our 11 locations in Toronto. :(

We are currently trying to raise approximately $150 more in order to purchase 100 chess sets from a US wholesale (it's cheaper if we buy in load). These 100 sets would be used for the program in Ottawa, our 12th location in Toronto (Bloor/Gladstone) and our potential location in Hamilton. If someone could help us out, I'm sure that the potential participants at Ottawa will appreciate it very much. Of course, so will my team. :)

Thank you~

Comment

Re: Chess in Library (Ottawa)

Originally posted by Yuanling Yuan View Post
      Joey - I'm glad to hear that the program has been officially approved!! :D We shall list this info on our website shortly. Did you see the other post where Aris from RA Centre said that he would like to contribute a dozen clocks? He said that he would be in contact with you.

Expanding the program outside of Toronto is truly a milestone for our organization. Thanks to Joey and his local library for making it possible! Joey has been working very hard since the beginning of this summer despite having to play in many large tournaments.

I really hope that everyone here will continue to support Chess in the Library and our innovations. Joey wouldn't be asking for chess sets if we still have some in our storage. The truth is, all of our pieces have been distributed to our 11 locations in Toronto. :(

We are currently trying to raise approximately $150 more in order to purchase 100 chess sets from a US wholesale (it's cheaper if we buy in load). These 100 sets would be used for the program in Ottawa, our 12th location in Toronto (Bloor/Gladstone) and our potential location in Hamilton. If someone could help us out, I'm sure that the potential participants at Ottawa will appreciate it very much. Of course, so will my team. :)

Thank you~
      Please contact me about chess set purchases...I am sure we can do something... bevand@chess-math.org

Comment

Working...
      X