Short and Shirov Coming to Ottawa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short and Shirov Coming to Ottawa

Following the wildly successful visit by Alexei Shirov to Ottawa in February 2010 (see the full report on ChessBase), the RA Chess Club is pleased to announce the line-up of stars for 2010-2011.
    First up is Nigel Short, one of the world's top players over the last 20 years and noted for his outspoken commentary. Last in Ottawa for the Canadian Open in 2007, Nigel will be coming back to Ottawa in November to give a simultaneous exhibition against all comers (at $25 a head) at the RA Centre starting at 7 p.m. on Thursday 18 November. This will be followed by a series of two lectures on the afternoons of Saturday and Sunday November 20-21 from 2 to 5 p.m. Admission will be $150 for the two lectures.
    This will be followed in February by a return visit from Alexei Shirov, world championship contender and among the world's top ten players. Shirov took on 35 players last Winter, including a high proportion of masters and experts, alternating colours to add some spice. He will be giving a simul at the RA at 7 p.m. on Thursday 3 February. Admission is $25 per player. Following last year's highly successful lecture series, Shirov will again be sharing his analysis on the afternoons of Saturday and Sunday 5-6 February starting at 2 p.m. and ending.... Admission will be $150 per person.
    Further details and signup arrangements will follow shortly.
    These visits are part of the RA Chess Club's continuing effort to make chess in the national capital region an exciting experience.:D
    Last edited by Gordon Ritchie; Tuesday, 31st August, 2010, 03:13 PM. Reason: correction

Re: Short and Shirov Coming to Ottawa

Congratulations Gordon, and thank you, this is more incredible news for the Ottawa chess community!!

Comment

CORRECTION Re: Short and Shirov Coming to Ottawa

Please note the corrected dates for Nigel Short's visit are: simultaneous exhibition 18 November; lectures 20-21 November. My apologies for the confusion.
      Gordon Ritchie

Comment

Re: CORRECTION Re: Short and Shirov Coming to Ottawa

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
        Please note the corrected dates for Nigel Short's visit are: simultaneous exhibition 18 November; lectures 20-21 November. My apologies for the confusion.
        Gordon Ritchie
        Why were they not invited to Toronto for the lecture? Toronto should has bigger chess marketing than Ottawa. This February I spent extra money staying in hotel for my son attending the two days Shirov's lecture in Ottawa. I may not go to Ottawa next February. However if there will be one in Toronto, definitely I will go.

Comment

Re: CORRECTION Re: Short and Shirov Coming to Ottawa

Ottawa's chess community is very fortunate. Gordon had a lot to do with the success of the Canadian Open in Ottawa in 2008, and has managed to develop good relationships with several of the chess elite while they were attending Canadian Opens. It's simply a case that the right person in the right place in the right time can generate opportunities. Hopefully the same will happen in Toronto as a result of the Canadian Open there.

Comment

Wow! Good job Gordon!

The experience with the grandmaster Shirov was incredible. I can't wait for Short and Shirov again. Thanks a lot :D

Comment

Signup for Short Simul/Lectures

Thursday evenings, starting this week, there will be signup sheets available at the RA Chess Club for Nigel Short's simul ($25) and lectures ($150 for two). Entries may also be submitted by mail to Gordon Ritchie, 1837 Juno Avenue, Ottawa, K1H 6S6.

Comment

Shirov Wins in Shanghai---Into Final in Bilbao

Shirov has continued his winning ways at the Shanghai Masters, beating Kramnik (!) and Hue (twice) to guarantee that he will advance to the grande finale in Bilbao against Anand and Carlsen plus one other from the Masters. As usual, Shirov's wins were serious streetfights with mistakes on both sides. Kramnik made a slip that even the computer programs missed, then failed to capitalize on a Shirov error and finally blundered to lose. Hue refused to seize the opportunity for perpetual check in the belief that he had winning chances, only to lose. Exciting stuff and more to come next month in Bilbao.

Comment

Signup for Nigel Short

Just a reminder: Thursday evenings, starting this week, there will be signup sheets available at the RA Chess Club for Nigel Short's simul ($25) and lectures ($150 for two). Entries may also be submitted by mail to Gordon Ritchie, 1837 Juno Avenue, Ottawa, K1H 6S6.
                  Space will be limited. A place will be reserved once payment is received in full.

Comment

Shirov keeps bringing it! Last I checked, only Anand and Ivanchuk are older among the elite. That was truly a wild game against Kramnik. I wonder what he has in mind for Carlsen this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                      Shirov keeps bringing it! Last I checked, only Anand and Ivanchuk are older among the elite. That was truly a wild game against Kramnik. I wonder what he has in mind for Carlsen this time.
                      Gelfand is even older (b 1968)

Comment

Right you are Egis! I forgot about him. He has certainly managed to stay pertinent as well. I remember when he and Ivanchuk came bursting through the candidates matches. They followed after Yusopov and Sokolov. Quite a pair of pairs.

I wonder if this theme of younger stars and longer careers will continue.

Comment

Short Simul is Filling Up

At the first signup, 16 players reserved their places for the Short simul. This leaves nine spots free. Haldor Pallsen will be taking signups over the next two Thursdays at the RA and if there are any places left, I will put out the sheet at the Autumn Open.
                          There are plenty of seats open for the Short lectures. He is highly articulate, even entertaining, as well as extremely knowledgeable as those who have seen his DVDs will recognize so I expect a full house for this event as well.

Comment

Nigel Short was born in 1965. Is he a member of the "elite"?

Comment

Fire on Board - Shirov's Best Games V 1 back in print!

This book which was first published in 1997 has just been reprinted. We received our shipment today in Montreal and copies will be going out to Ottawa and Toronto in the next few days. You can also order it online at our site beginning tomorrow.

We also have V 2 of this title available in all our locations today. When you go to our site, simply search on the word Fire

www.strategygames.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X