Run by the Simcoe County Chess Club:

City: Barrie, Ontario
    Dates: Saturday, September 18th, 2010
    Place: Ferris Lane Community Church, 49 Ferris Lane, Barrie
    Rds: 4
    Start Time: 10am with registration from 9am to 9:45am
    Type: Swiss, one section
    TC: 60+0
    EF: $25 pre-registered, or $30 on the day of the event.
    Prizes: Trophies
    Reg: Pre-register by mail or sign up from 9am - 9:45am the day of the tournament. Make cheques payable to: Simcoe County Chess Club. Please include a phone number on cheque. Mail to; 56 Paddy Dunn's Circle, Barrie, ON L4M 6M1
    Misc: Non Smoking, Bring your own clocks.
    Last edited by Michael Zaghi; Friday, 3rd September, 2010, 07:20 PM.

Re: 2010 Tom Arnett Memorial Tournament

CFC rated?

Originally posted by Michael Zaghi View Post
    Run by the Simcoe County Chess Club:

City: Barrie, Ontario
    Dates: Saturday, September 18th, 2010
    Place: Ferris Lane Community Church, 49 Ferris Lane, Barrie
    Rds: 4
    Start Time: 10am with registration from 9am to 9:45am
    Type: Swiss, one section
    TC: TBA
    EF: $25 pre-registered, or $30 on the day of the event.
    Prizes: Trophies
    Reg: Pre-register by mail or sign up from 9am - 9:45am the day of the tournament. Make cheques payable to: Simcoe County Chess Club. Please include a phone number on cheque. Mail to; 56 Paddy Dunn's Circle, Barrie, ON L4M 6M1
    Misc: Non Smoking, Bring your own clocks.

Comment

Hi Craig, the tournament is CFC rated.

Comment

I would like to know the possible time control so i can estimate my itinerary. i am planning to join your 1 day tournament.

I have never been to Barrie, but i know i have relatives there.

Furthermore, i hope to do some sightseeing after the tournamnt.

Comment

Hi Erwin,

I edited the time control from TBA to 60+0.

Comment

Please consider this message as my official registration to your rapid tournament. The distance is not bad, just like driving to BUffalo for the Montly ACtive chess wit Mr. McDuffy.

Can you recommend some sights to see? I will be coming with my wife.

Thanks. See you on the 18th of September.

My details are below:

ERWIN CASARENO
            RATING: 2108
            CLUB: Scarborough Chess Club
            Last edited by Erwin Casareno; Friday, 10th September, 2010, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
              Can you recommend some sights to see? I will be coming with my wife.
              This struck me as somewhat funny... hopefully the variety of sights will not be adversely affected by who you bring? ;)
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                This struck me as somewhat funny... hopefully the variety of sights will not be adversely affected by who you bring? ;)

Dear Mr. Liles,

I need something to entertain my wife while i play in the tournament.

Otherwise, she will not allow me to play chess...........lol.

Just like my friend Freddie SUpsup. When we go to play rapid chess in BUffalo, he brings with him his family. And they shop in Galleria Mall.

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
                  Dear Mr. Liles,

I need something to entertain my wife while i play in the tournament.

Otherwise, she will not allow me to play chess...........lol.

Just like my friend Freddie SUpsup. When we go to play rapid chess in BUffalo, he brings with him his family. And they shop in Galleria Mall.
                  I understand completely... Mr. Supsup had better win some class prize otherwise it might be a very expensive trip! :)
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Thanks Erwin, I will forward this to David. Unfortunately I will no longer be able to attend and TD the tournament due to a lack of transportation.

As for good places to hang out in Barrie for the day; I would recommend the waterfront/downtown or Horseshoe resort located approximately 20 minutes outside of Barrie.

I still believe there will be some decent players attending and a pre-registration list should get to me within the next few days.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Zaghi View Post
                      Thanks Erwin, I will forward this to David. Unfortunately I will no longer be able to attend and TD the tournament due to a lack of transportation.

As for good places to hang out in Barrie for the day; I would recommend the waterfront/downtown or Horseshoe resort located approximately 20 minutes outside of Barrie.

I still believe there will be some decent players attending and a pre-registration list should get to me within the next few days.
                      Sorry to know you wont be able to make it.
                      But thanks for the tips of where to hang out.

Is it David Lawless you are referring to?

And is there any pre-registered list?

Comment

Re : 2010 Tom Arnett Memorial Tournament

Who is (was) Tom Arnett ?

Comment

Re: Re : 2010 Tom Arnett Memorial Tournament

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                          Who is (was) Tom Arnett ?
                          http://www.simcoecountychessclub.com/tom_arnett
                          "This CFC-rated tournament is named in honour of a Simcoe resident who contributed a lot to the world of chess, both as a player and an organizer. "
                          http://www.partingwishes.com/memoria....aspx?id=31192
                          Tom was a creative writer, the author of novels, short stories, poetry, plays, dinner theatre, revues and radio dramas.

Tom was a communicator. He wrote newspaper and magazine articles,training manuals, promotional brochures, newsletter, educational films, local histories.

He had 13 books published. His novel, "Death Games", was the first action-adventure novel to make the N.Y. Times bestseller list. (For his novels published by Gold Eagle he used the series' pseudonyms Don Pendleton and Dick Stivers.) As well as reaching enormous Canadian and American audiences, many of his action-adventure novels were translated and widely sold in Japan and Spain.

Comment

Unfortunatly, I am still waiting for a pre-registration list to post. As of now I am kind of in the dark with regard to the finer detail of the tournament. I know Yuri Lebedev TD's tournaments at the club often so hopefully he has been contacted.

As for David Vasoff, he is one of the parents who now runs the club after Mary McCooeye left the role of president just recently. I suggest giving David a call using the number provided to get the current list since the tournament is only a few days away.

Comment

I regret to inform, particularly Mr. Casareno, that the 2010 Tom Arnett Memorial tournament will not be held on the date of September 17th as planned. This is primarily due to pre-registration issues. David and myself plan to reschedule the tournament to a date set in late October. this date will be finalized within the next few weeks. Hopefully this has not caused too much dissatisfaction for those planning on attending, regardless, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Comment

Working...
                              X