Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Tom Arnett Memorial Tournament

On behalf of David Vasoff,

Due to preregistration numbers, we have decided to postpone the Tom Arnett Memorial Tournment. We are investigating a replacement date in late October/early November. We;ll provided further details shortly.

Please accept my apologies for this late change in plans. I can be reached directly at the telephone number below should you have any questions.

All the best,

David Vasoff
    Cell: (705) 818-3622

Comment

Re : Re: Re : 2010 Tom Arnett Memorial Tournament

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      [url]Tom was a creative writer, the author of novels, short stories, poetry, plays, dinner theatre, revues and radio dramas.

Tom was a communicator. He wrote newspaper and magazine articles,training manuals, promotional brochures, newsletter, educational films, local histories.

He had 13 books published. His novel, "Death Games", was the first action-adventure novel to make the N.Y. Times bestseller list. (For his novels published by Gold Eagle he used the series' pseudonyms Don Pendleton and Dick Stivers.) As well as reaching enormous Canadian and American audiences, many of his action-adventure novels were translated and widely sold in Japan and Spain.
      And what about chess ? I have always thought that "Memorial" chess tournaments should honour people that have done remarquable things in chess. Surely we don't lack such people in canadian chess history.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : 2010 Tom Arnett Memorial Tournament

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
        And what about chess ? I have always thought that "Memorial" chess tournaments should honour people that have done remarquable things in chess. Surely we don't lack such people in canadian chess history.
        There were connections to chess
        who contributed a lot to the world of chess, both as a player and an organizer. "
        I don't find strange that a chess club remembers its member. The CFC crosstables have more memorial examples for similar caliber people.

and I am glad to see that the tournament was moved to another day, what might allow me to participate and beat Erwin :D

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : 2010 Tom Arnett Memorial Tournament

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          There were connections to chess

Quote: who contributed a lot to the world of chess, both as a player and an organizer. "
          Surely the achievements of someone "who contributed a lot to the world of chess" could be described in some detail.

Please Egidijus understand that naming a chess tournament after your mother in law or your cat is not a crime against humanity. The famous Melody Amber tournament in Monaco is named after the sponsor's daugher and nobody complains, of course, because of the money injected into chess

Othewise it is simply a missed opportunity to honour (in a small way most of the time) the people who deserve it. It is however worth noticing because here I would think that people would care about chess and its noteworthy people and would not pick unrelated names for their tournaments.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : 2010 Tom Arnett Memorial Tournament

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
            would not pick unrelated names for their tournaments
            Seems you haven't clicked one of the provided links
            http://www.simcoecountychessclub.com/tom_arnett

Janet also very generously donated many of Tom’s chess items (boards, sets, books, cd’s, and more) to the Simcoe County Chess Club. In this way, Tom will continue to be a part of chess in our community. We will always be grateful for the Tom Arnett Collection.

Comment

Re: 2010 Tom Arnett Memorial Tournament

Hi Jean,

As far as I have been told, Tom Arnett was a member of the Barrie Chess club when it existed back in the 80's or 90's, at which time it was a substantial club with over 60 or so regular members (perhaps some one could confirm this). I think the idea behind naming the tournament after Tom was not because he was a strong chess player (most likely he was an average club player) but because he was a major contributor and organizer of chess in the Barrie region for years.

Furthermore, as Egidijus mentioned and as stated on club website, he was also a major donor. The club is simply appreciating those who have benefited chess in the community, not abroad. To name the the tournament after someone in Canadian chess from a national perspective (I assume this is what you are suggesting) would be fruitless, considering 99% of our relatively small member count will have never even heard of this person. Hopefully I have explained fully the reasoning behind the naming of this tournament.

Comment

Re : Re: 2010 Tom Arnett Memorial Tournament

Originally posted by Michael Zaghi View Post

As far as I have been told, Tom Arnett was a member of the Barrie Chess club when it existed back in the 80's or 90's, at which time it was a substantial club with over 60 or so regular members (perhaps some one could confirm this). I think the idea behind naming the tournament after Tom was not because he was a strong chess player (most likely he was an average club player) but because he was a major contributor and organizer of chess in the Barrie region for years.

Furthermore, as Egidijus mentioned and as stated on club website, he was also a major donor. The club is simply appreciating those who have benefited chess in the community, not abroad. To name the the tournament after someone in Canadian chess from a national perspective (I assume this is what you are suggesting) would be fruitless, considering 99% of our relatively small member count will have never even heard of this person. Hopefully I have explained fully the reasoning behind the naming of this tournament.
                Thanks for the explanation. My general point was that naming a chess tournament should not be the trivial matter it too often is. Maybe it is just a matter of taste but to me names such as "Santa Claus Open" (first example that comes to mind) are simply grotesque and incompatible with the classy image we would like chess to have, while calling a simple club event "Bobby Fischer Memorial" would also be inappropriate.
                I was not suggesting a name from a "national" perspective. Naming it after someone who apparently had an impact on the local chess club sounds fair enough. Too bad the event got "postponed" on account of poor advance entries though. Then the whole "tribute" thing turn a little sour.

Comment

Working...
                X