Chess emails targeted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess emails targeted?

Today I received an s.o.s. from a well known Canadian player, claiming to be stranded overseas:

Hello,
    How are you doing? I'm sorry for not informing you about my short traveling to Scotland for a Seminar. It was something urgent and i didn't even inform anyone about this traveling. Right now i need your help because my wallet got lost on my way to the hotel I lodged in, Inside the wallet was my phone, cards, diary, including my return ticket and other vital documents. I have reported the case to the police but i am worried and stranded here. I find it very difficult to say this but i need an urgent loan of 1500 British pounds for me to sort out my hotel bills and get myself back home. if you can do me this favor I will always show gratitude throughout my lifetime. I will appreciate whatever you can afford to help me with and I promise to refund the money as soon as I return home, Please let me know if you can help me out, I will be glad to read from you soon.
    Warm regards
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    It reminded me of this one from earlier this summer:

Hope you get this on time? Sorry I didn't inform you about my trip to Spain for a program, I am presently in Madrid and am having some difficulties here because i misplaced my wallet on my way to the hotel where my money and other valuable things were. presently my passport and my things are been held down by the hotel management pending when i make payment.

I need you to help me with a loan of (2,600 Euro = $3000) to pay my hotel bills and to get myself back home. I will appreciate whatever you can afford to assist me with, I will refund the money back to you as soon as i return, let me know if you can be of any help? ASAP. I don't have a phone where i can be reached. I am so confused right now. please let me know immediately

Your help is much appreciated,
    Thanks a lot.
    XXXXXXXXXXXX

In this first case, the "author" noted the breach and changed her email address quickly. I have sent a note to the first address to advise him of the possible scam. Has anyone else received these emails? The recipients are not disclosed.

Re: Chess emails targeted?

my wife, who is not a chess player, had the same thing happen to her...i don't think any particular segment of the population is being targeted...

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
    Today I received an s.o.s. from a well known Canadian player, claiming to be stranded overseas:

Hello,
    How are you doing? I'm sorry for not informing you about my short traveling to Scotland for a Seminar. It was something urgent and i didn't even inform anyone about this traveling. Right now i need your help because my wallet got lost on my way to the hotel I lodged in, Inside the wallet was my phone, cards, diary, including my return ticket and other vital documents. I have reported the case to the police but i am worried and stranded here. I find it very difficult to say this but i need an urgent loan of 1500 British pounds for me to sort out my hotel bills and get myself back home. if you can do me this favor I will always show gratitude throughout my lifetime. I will appreciate whatever you can afford to help me with and I promise to refund the money as soon as I return home, Please let me know if you can help me out, I will be glad to read from you soon.
    Warm regards
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    It reminded me of this one from earlier this summer:

Hope you get this on time? Sorry I didn't inform you about my trip to Spain for a program, I am presently in Madrid and am having some difficulties here because i misplaced my wallet on my way to the hotel where my money and other valuable things were. presently my passport and my things are been held down by the hotel management pending when i make payment.

I need you to help me with a loan of (2,600 Euro = $3000) to pay my hotel bills and to get myself back home. I will appreciate whatever you can afford to assist me with, I will refund the money back to you as soon as i return, let me know if you can be of any help? ASAP. I don't have a phone where i can be reached. I am so confused right now. please let me know immediately

Your help is much appreciated,
    Thanks a lot.
    XXXXXXXXXXXX

In this first case, the "author" noted the breach and changed her email address quickly. I have sent a note to the first address to advise him of the possible scam. Has anyone else received these emails? The recipients are not disclosed.

Comment

Yes, there is a player here in Alberta whose email has been hijacked, same message pretty much.

Comment

It seems to be a common scam - Google gave me 3,420 hits on the string "my trip to Spain for a program" (but only 1 hit on "short traveling to scotland for a seminar"). Eventually a wire transfer of $ is requested by the scammer.

Comment

Re : Chess emails targeted?

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
          A short exerpt from the Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada website:

"Other types of personal scams are reported, including falsified emails in which a con artist poses as a Canadian known by the target who is stuck in a foreign country after being the victim of theft, an accident or kidnapping, and claiming he needs money to pay for hotel or hospital bills, visas and/or airplane tickets."

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pa...ng.asp?id=1090

Comment

I use Mailwasher Pro. If I don't recognize the sender or the address, like a rubber ball it goes bouncing back to the sender.

Shouldn't people in such a situation be going to the Canadian Embassy?

I used to get people I was playing or directing in postal chess ask me to sponsor them into Canada. Fat chance!
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

2 weeks ago I was caught up in a email scam.It said i was stranded in London looking for $2300. It was sent out to my contact list-100's- and I received calls for 4 days about this,some willing to send me$$$$.It was horrible.They no doubt got my name from a card I use for chess lessons.I finally straightened it out.The letter was personal.Some of my friends called me willing to give me$$$$.The lesson: Never open/answer an e mail that you think is suspect.

Comment

Your message has the same message like mine.........

"Hello,
                Warm regards"

I would like to advise IM Porper to change his password.

Comment

Working...
                X