Closing Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing Threads

When were moderators granted power to close threads? Is this a change in policy? Frankly, I'd much rather see miscreants suspended or banned, if this board is going to have moderation. Closing threads serves little purpose; the histporical record is there for all to see.

Re: Closing Threads

If a thread is closed, it will scroll off. A shame, really, I was going to weigh into the argy-bargy.

Comment

In reply to Ken, it's a borderline example. It doesn't merit a suspension, much less a banning, for anyone. And I'm just as happy to leave an example of my own moderating style. It gives an idea of what people can expect from me.

If members want to start another thread on Women's chess in Canada then that's fine with me. The other thread just didn't seem to be going anywhere productive.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Nigel,
        I wasn't questioning what you did. My question is more " has Larry provided moderators with powers that didn't seem to be in place on Old Chess Talk and are some sort of standards now in place and going to be enforced?
        Cheers,
        Ken

Comment

Hi Ken. Pardon my technical incompetence - how did you find out the thread had been closed and what happens to closed threads? I assume someone keeps them so that, somewhere down the road, someone else can say, "Nice set of threads, man."
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Ken: We have the General Guidelines. That's the standard that I'm going by.

As a moderator I have some modest powers but the final authority is still with the Administrators. So no one is going to be banned without key input from Chris, Yves, and/or Larry, for example.

"I'm just a lowly, lowly cook." Steven Segal, Under Siege
            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Peter,
              I read the thread and it was marked "Thread Closed" at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                how did you find out the thread had been closed
                Closed threads are marked with a padlock icon in the list of threads. You can read them, but not comment.

Comment

Why was the thread closed? It wasn't a personal attack; I insulted her chess play.
                  everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

These comments of your's were a personal attack, Ben.

"I am irked by her actions, namely her selfish acceptance of chess funding - a rare commodity in Canada - that would have better been spent on juniors."

Comment

I have reported Gary Ruben on two posts today because his smear campaign is again intefering with the Olympiad team. I doubt many of the women even know who Gary is and if they met him in person ( as I have ) there would be puzzlement at the source of all this noise. But outsiders may be confused and the good information is slow to get out. Of course, logically, once one looks at actual chess accomplishments, time lines, and the ages of the players nobody in their right mind writes off these players.
                      Last edited by Duncan Smith; Thursday, 4th September, 2008, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                        These comments of your's were a personal attack, Ben.

"I am irked by her actions, namely her selfish acceptance of chess funding - a rare commodity in Canada - that would have better been spent on juniors."
                        I agree, that's definitely a personal attack.

Comment

Working...
                        X