Howard Ridout Memorial Swiss -- Avoid the Rush!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard Ridout Memorial Swiss -- Avoid the Rush!

Avoid the rush! No need to line up. If you'd like to play in the Howard Ridout Memorial Swiss at the Scarborough Chess Club, simply drop me an email saying what section you'd like to play in. My email address is skarpik@sympatico.ca. The first round is Thursday, September 9, 2010. Onsite registration is between 7:00 and 7:15 p.m. Play starts sharp at 7:30 p.m. Byes are available for any round.

In case you don't know where our club is, here is a link to a map:

http://www.scarboroughchessclub.ca/Location.aspx

Finally, here's some information from an earlier post about our new Swiss sections:

New Structure for Swiss Tournaments

Other big news coming from the AGM is a new structure for our Thursday night Swiss tournaments. The club continues to grow and we were outgrowing the two-tiered Swiss format we used in 2009-2010 (Open and U1700 sections). Starting on September 9, 2010, our Swiss tournaments will be in three sections: 2000+, U2000 and U1700 plus unrated. Players within 100 points of the rating floor of a higher section may elect to play up a section (so players rated 1900 to 1999 can elect to play in the 2000+ section and players rated 1600 to 1699 can similarly elect to play in the U2000 section). These sections will ensure that club members are paired in games that are competitive and exciting. There’s also the incentive to improve your play in order to qualify to play in higher sections.

For more information about the Scarborough Chess Club, visit our website:

http://www.scarboroughchessclub.ca

Re: Howard Ridout Memorial Swiss -- Avoid the Rush!

This tournament is going to be super tough to crack......

This is my first time to play in a swiss tournament where i got paired with the second highest rated player in the pool , right on the opening day!

I got Runne Pederssen 2348.

Well, my heart beat suddenly rose to 150!

Well ,i have a clarification to make.

The SCC website says this is an 8 round tournament.

But the President said it is 7 rounds.

Can you update us?

Comment

Hi Erwin:

According to the AGM information, it is 7 rounds. I'll let Steve know he has to change the website error.

Bob

Comment

The web site is correct. Here are the dates for all the Scarborough Chess Club tournaments for 2010-2011:

Howard Ridout Memorial (6 rounds)
        September 9, 16, 23, 30, October 14, 21, 2010 (no game October 7)

Falling Leaves Swiss (7 rounds)
        October 28, November 4, 11, 18, 25, December 2, 9, 2010 (club closed December 16, 23, 30)

Jack Frost Swiss (7 rounds)
        January 6, 13, 20, 27, February 3, 10, 17, 2011

Club Championship (9 rounds)
        February 24, March 3, 10, 17, 24, 31, April 7, 14, 21, 2011

Spring Into Summer (9 rounds)
        April 28, May 12, 19, 26, June 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, 2011 (no game May 5)

The length of each of the tournaments was set to meet some constraints. We wanted the first two tournaments to finish before year's end and the Christmas holidays. We would have liked to have made the Jack Frost tournament one round longer, but I'm going to be out of town in early March and I need to be here for the start of the Club Championship in order to process everyone's entries. Thus we shortened the Jack Frost and lengthened the Spring Into Summer tournaments.

There are also a number of dates over the season when we have no games. These are days when the Birkdale Community Centre is either closed to us for a holiday or for a rental by another group.

Please check the Scarborough Chess Club web site (www.scarboroughchessclub.ca) for updates and other club news.

Comment

Working...
        X