Rant of the day - 40 Moves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rant of the day - 40 Moves

Here's my rant of the day, this happened to me in two games of the Labour Day.

In both cases my opponent decided it was my job to let them know if 40 moves for the 1st time control were reached, to do it on my time and to interrupt my concentration during my move to insist I tell them if 40 moves was reached. In the first case when I said it wasn't up to me to inform my opponent of whether they met the time control,with a bit of attitude I was told in no uncertain terms that I definitely was required to do so. Fortunately Bryan was able to clarify after that I was in no way required to do so. In one case the opponent was in time trouble, in the other there was still plenty of time on their clock, they just couldn't keep their score sheet straight.

In the second case it threw me off and I blundered into exchanging queens in an endgame where I knew my only hope was to keep the queens on the board. Of course they avoided using time on their clock to ask me. I have one of those scoresheet books, I wasn't hiding my scoresheet and as far as I know they could just have looked over at my scoresheet if they wanted to.

Learn how to keep a score sheet people and remember rule #1 - no talking to your opponent except to resign or offer a draw. Some of us old people prefer to think in silence for better concentration.

Funniest thing I saw during Labour Day, Opponent Late shows up after round started, maybe 2 or 3 mins, their clock is running as opponent On-Time started the clock when the TD said to do so. Opponent Late then begins to ask opponent On-Time if they would rather use his pieces and clock. Opponent On-Time acquieces to using the opponents clock, which is produced, set up as if no time had elapsed and the game is finally begun. At one point Opponent Late comes back to the board, says to Opponent On-Time something like wasn't that pawn there, to which Opponent On-Time says yes I moved it, now its your turn... I nearly burst out laughing.
    Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Thursday, 9th September, 2010, 02:30 PM.

Re: Rant of the day - 40 Moves

There was even an appeal on a "flag fall" and the digital clock "flag felt" indicator as a prove to claim a win. As the player claimed on move 43, it was ruled that the arbiter's decision to continue a game was right.

Comment

Hi guys,
      I am amused this afternoon, reading your stories that happened during the tournament. It is these types of stories that makes a tournament more memorable even after many years have passed. Suddenly i remember the book that i like to read, "Chess Lessons I learned from the Masters" by Edward Lasker - not Emmanuel LAsker.

And by sharing it here, people like me who did not play in the tournament, are happy to know that these things can happen.

I never thought it was possible for 2 people (Conniving?) to ask you to be the "time keeper" for them". Each player is responsible to monitor his own moves, especially near the time control. I believe they just want to distract you. Or shall i say their control over you.

As my Romanian friend said, "We are all strange creatures. But others are more strange" Ion Constantenescu .

Keep the stories coming !!!! Thanks.....

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
        Here's my rant of the day, this happened to me in two games of the Labour Day.

In both cases my opponent decided it was my job to let them know if 40 moves for the 1st time control were reached, to do it on my time and to interrupt my concentration during my move to insist I tell them if 40 moves was reached. In the first case when I said it wasn't up to me to inform my opponent of whether they met the time control,with a bit of attitude I was told in no uncertain terms that I definitely was required to do so. Fortunately Bryan was able to clarify after that I was in no way required to do so. In one case the opponent was in time trouble, in the other there was still plenty of time on their clock, they just couldn't keep their score sheet straight.

In the second case it threw me off and I blundered into exchanging queens in an endgame where I knew my only hope was to keep the queens on the board. Of course they avoided using time on their clock to ask me. I have one of those scoresheet books, I wasn't hiding my scoresheet and as far as I know they could just have looked over at my scoresheet if they wanted to.

Learn how to keep a score sheet people and remember rule #1 - no talking to your opponent except to resign or offer a draw. Some of us old people prefer to think in silence for better concentration.

That brings up an interesting question: often I have been asked by my opponent if they could 'borrow' my scoresheet (to repair their record) and for club games I have always agreed. I wonder if I am obliged to do so? I think not, but ...

(of course, I usually let them use the scoresheet on their time...)

I recall one time going to get a coffee, and on my return I see my opponent correcting his scoresheet with mine (clearly without asking). I was somewhat taken aback but I don't think I made a big deal out of it. I agree with Z: learn to keep score and remember to do so!
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

without exception people who talk on their opponent's time deserve to be kicked in the face

i wear earplugs during games so that innnnfidels do not disturb my bodhisattva-esque state of concentration
          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            That brings up an interesting question: often I have been asked by my opponent if they could 'borrow' my scoresheet (to repair their record) and for club games I have always agreed. I wonder if I am obliged to do so? I think not, but ...
            You are not forced. If the request is done before a flag has fallen you might treat it as the distraction (probably). FIDE rules has a line when the opponent may get your scoresheet.
            "8.5 b. If only one player is not required to keep score under Article 8.4, he must, as soon as either flag has fallen, update his scoresheet completely before moving a piece on the chessboard. Provided it is the player’s move, he may use his opponent’s scoresheet, but must return it before making a move"

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

(of course, I usually let them use the scoresheet on their time...)
              It makes a person with ugly handwriting willful to learn correspondence notation, & wondering which languages use a different numeric character set for 1, 2, 3, ..., 8. Watching the opposition - as opposed to merely the arbiter - interpret 52-53 in Arabic in time-trouble would be well worth the price of entry fee alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Kai G. Gauer View Post
                It makes a person with ugly handwriting willful to learn correspondence notation, & wondering which languages use a different numeric character set for 1, 2, 3, ..., 8. Watching the opposition - as opposed to merely the arbiter - interpret 52-53 in Arabic in time-trouble would be well worth the price of entry fee alone.
                :D The arbiter may remind you of algebraic notation's (a1, h8 etc) benefits.

"Scoresheets using a notation system other than algebraic may not be used as evidence in cases where normally the scoresheet of a player is used for that purpose. An arbiter who observes that a player is using a notation system other than the algebraic should warn the player about of this requirement."

Comment

I too played at the Labour Day tournament. In terms of speaking to one's opponent, as I understand there was some degree of "dispute" between two players in the U 1900 section. That is, one player took the rule that one should not talk to his opponent too literally, and "insisted" that any offer of a draw had to be communicated through the TD. That is, "... in his world," offering a draw was against the "... no talking to your opponent" rule.

Comment

Working...
                  X