For Mr. Moderator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Mr. Moderator

Having the last word and closing the thread was a nice touch. In your message to me you missed the points.

1. I made no comment on the play of Mrs. Barron. I was replying to a different part of Duncan's post and the figures I gave made that obvious. I think Mrs. Barron will do fine as the reserve where I suspect she will play.

2. I didn't think Ben's remarks were particularly out of line. The women's Olympic Team is representing Canada and "The Canadian School of Chess", such as it is. If Ben feels we should have a team we expect to do well, instead of a team that will take a beating for Canada, I think it's a fair point.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Re: For Mr. Moderator

And criticism of her play in a local Toronto tournament that was OBVIOUSLY a warm-up and a chance to experiment with some lines or just to shake off some rust is not the same as criticising her play in the Olympiad event (which, as ben pointed out later, is to be expected if she does not perform well).
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      And criticism of her play in a local Toronto tournament that was OBVIOUSLY a warm-up and a chance to experiment with some lines or just to shake off some rust is not the same as criticising her play in the Olympiad event (which, as ben pointed out later, is to be expected if she does not perform well).
      Canada's finest should not be "rusty" going into the Olympics. It's will not be an excuse for losing.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        Canada's finest should not be "rusty" going into the Olympics. It's will not be an excuse for losing.
        Could you come and give several free lessons to team members during Toronto Thanksgiving tournament or other events? It would be more valuable than these useless posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          Could you come and give several free lessons to team members during Toronto Thanksgiving tournament or other events? It would be more valuable than these useless posts.
          Chess lessons, like poker lessons, are never free.

Chess is a game where you get out of it what you put into it. If you happen to be a 2200 player and you don't put in much work or play much you will most like see your rating drop when you play again. If you work at the game and study, and keep active then the rating will likely stay at your level or increase.

So simple is chess...
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

This thread is another reminder of how silly people can get discussing chess. A more objective observer might attend the Labour Day event and see a lot of promise for the women in Germany. After all, several of them have excellent international playing records.

It's so unusual how such a positive weekend can be spun as a negative on this board and people accept it so easily. Perhaps some people would be more comfortable sending a much weaker team to Germany.
            Last edited by Duncan Smith; Thursday, 4th September, 2008, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Honestly, I can't even begin to fathom why Canadian chess is spending thousands of dollars sending a rusty player to Germany. Also, what rust? She played in the Canadian Open. Who the hell gets rusty in under two months?!
              everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

No value in this plan at all. I'm quite serious. Again, please be more respectful of your peers in the chess community including the female ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                  No value in this plan at all. I'm quite serious. Again, please be more respectful of your peers in the chess community including the female ones.
                  Right. It's too late.

It's getting to be move and pray time.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

For interested outsiders, some relevant facts.

Gary Ruben is rated 1874 by the CFC and hasn't played in a strong otb event in decades. Gary plays in correspondance events where I believe they take a day to make one solitary move and are allowed by the rules to consult reading materials, chess software, and personal notes during their games. Kind of like an open book exam.

The women's team must complete their entire game in around 2-3 hours each player with no outside assistance, software, or reading materials. The women are all rated between 2000 and 2300.

Although there are the occasional critics like Gary Ruben on these chess sites, there is a general acceptance in the active chess community that all these players are capable and worthy team members.

All of them have the potential to get much stronger, almost all of them have represented Canada in the past and done very well. The two youngest team members have both finished top ten at the world youth championships.
                    Last edited by Duncan Smith; Thursday, 4th September, 2008, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                      For interested outsiders, some relevant facts.

All of them have the potential to get much stronger, almost all of them have represented Canada in the past and done very well. The two youngest team members have both finished top ten at the world youth championships.
                      It's not my fault a game with a 1700 player turned into a draw. It's not my fault the problem that has to be worked on has to do with basics and not fine tuning. You shouldn't be laughing at my 35 year old rating. It's not like your daughter is beating 1800 players these days. She could only manage to draw with a 1700 and 1800 player in the recent event. :)

After all the years of Duncan Smith bragging about how great his champion is, I'm enjoying this and I'm going to enjoy the Olympic games.

I enjoy watching the results of the local events and then watching Duncan Smith try to talk up the mediocre to poor performances.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I was hoping all this POINTLESS drivel would have died with the old chesstalk... Post something constructive or don't post.
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I was hoping all this POINTLESS drivel would have died with the old chesstalk... Post something constructive or don't post.
                          I think my reply to the vicious personal attack by a "chess father" is both restrained and appropriate. Surely you don't think I would let a personal attack like the one Duncan Smith made simply pass.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

my only incentive for visiting chesstalk is to see the threads with personal attacks, or anything negative. without those then the board is boring lol. it is good entertainment, besides its just the internet. who cares!

Comment

Mr. Ruben, I have reported you again for your behaviour in this post and others. I have not viciously attacked you in any post. I very carefully addressed with facts some reasons why some would think you are not qualified to judge the capabilities of players going to the Olympiad.

It is perhaps most appropriate as well to note I am quite sure none of the players themselves care a whole lot who you are or what you think. If you derive entertainment from cheering against Canadian reps at international chess events well that speaks to your character more then anything. There is no doubt in my mind you will be disappointed again.

Comment

Working...
                              X