Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent Larsen dies at 75

http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/be...en-dies-at-75/
    Yesterday chess legend Bent Larsen passed away in Buenos Aires, only six months after his 75th birthday. We received the sad news from Thomas Hauge Vestergård, press officer of the Danish Chess Federation. Update: reactions by Peter Heine Nielsen and Yasser Seirawan; profile added.

The Danish Chess Federation published a press release which you can read in English via Google Translate here. We also spoke to Mr Vestergård on the phone, who told us that about 14 days ago Mr Larsen suffered from a cerebral haemorrhage, after which he was taken into hospital for an operation. He never really recovered. “It is especially sad that this happened in the year in which we have so much celebrations for his 75th birthday. There would be another event, a GM tournament, later this year but this will probably be cancelled. Naturally we will have a memorial,” said Vestergård.

Re: Bent Larsen dies at 75

RIP the two-times Canadian Open champion.

Comment

... R.i.p.

Comment

One of Bobby's great competitors. Another sad loss.

Comment

Bent Larsen was the big draw in 1969 (?) at the Canadian Open in Toronto, at Hart House. As a young student I saw him there every day and he was very popular! He made a wonderful impression, even apart from winning easily. R.I.P.!

Comment

Can you recall if that's the event where in the first round the top boards read the newspaper while the weak opponents moved, in the early part of the game?
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

1968 - here are crosstables for both the Canadian Opens won by Larsen. Incidentally, if anyone knows the identity of player #39 I'd be grateful to hear from you - he/she was omitted from the published xtb.

Comment

Another sad loss, and the second of my early chess heroes to die this year (Smyslov was the first). Now only Korchnoi is left ...

Larsen was also a wonderful writer - ZOOM 001, the 1978 Korchnoi-Karpov World Championship, and his own games collection, to name a few. He also wrote a column for Chess Canada.

Comment

My old Bell edition of his games collection is extremely well-thumbed and is full of my comments. It's a great book that gave me a lot of pleasure.

I'm also happy to have his autograph on my poster from Montreal 1979.

Comment

Working...
                  X