1980-81 Canadian Junior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980-81 Canadian Junior

Thanks to JK MacDonald, I have copies of all the games from the 1980-81 Canadian Junior, which was held in Edmonton in late December 1980 - early January 1981.

Does anyone have the exact dates of this event, or (even better) - the dates of each round? None of this info is given in the bulletins nor the CFC magazine. I would like to add the dates to each game. Were 12-player Juniors of that time period 2 games/day (making it a 1-week event) or 1 game/day (making it almost 2 weeks)? Also - was an eligible "junior" under-18 or under-20?

Final results were:

Robert Hamilton (1962) 8/11
    David Filipovich (2226) 7.5
    Rob Hawkes (2143) 7.5
    Rob Graham (1994) 7.5
    Deen Hergott (2105) 7
    Alex Kuznecov (2055) 6.5
    Paul Ross (2013) 6
    Peter Patsula (1852) 4.5
    Bill Gnam (1999) 4
    Bill Bogle (2009) 3.5
    Jim Woodley (1850) 2.5
    Louis Robichaud (1794) 1.5

(Graham beat Gnam by default in one game)

Re: 1980-81 Canadian Junior

Under-20. The Canadian Junior was always held to be a qualifier for the next World Junior, no more, no less.

Sorry for not including the dates. In my defence, I'll say that it's better than not including a crosstable, or not including a report! The report was #46, pp 18-22.

The previous year's Junior was Dec 26 to Jan 4th. Absent any other hints, or the effects of annual slippage, I'd go with those dates. That's only 10 days, so you'd still need to guess which day had two rounds.

More info *might* be available in the National Archives. It's event 308 of that year.

Comment

Hi Jonathan,

I heard on the weekend that the CFC archives...or what was left of them...have been sold for $8,000. The stuff that made it to the National Archives are safe :)

Larry

Comment

Of Archivos and Anchovas

Larry,

I'm glad. On the continuum of:

-- papers fuel a fire that burns the building down;
        -- papers are dumpstered at a cost of $1,000;
        -- philanthropist donates $1,000,000 to preserve CFC Library and
        Archives, including staff salaries.

selling the papers for $8,000 is a good deal, and it means they still
        exist.

In my tenure at the CFC, I wrote two good letters that deserve to be preserved!

Comment

Jonathan,

If one of the letters you refer to is the hilarious one you wrote trying to get the CFC money from the government by comparing algebraic notation to (the then recent) metrification, I recall that about 20 years ago I had that one archived into a box somewhere on the CFC premises.
          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Very interesting. Any idea who made the purchase Larry?

Comment

Larry,

To be exact, the CFC sold old magazines and books for over $8,000. Its Archives are still there.

David

Comment

Hi David,

Thanks for the correction...I misunderstood.

Larry

Comment

Thanks David.

So can you tell us who made the purchase, or is that considered confidential?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
                    Thanks David.

So can you tell us who made the purchase, or is that considered confidential?
                    A person better known for correspondence chess, and I believe the CCCA as well, came up with money and contacts.

A person better known for correspondence chess made a sizeable donation to the Olympic fund as well.

Maybe I shouldn't be telling you this.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I see. That does answer my question.

Yes, you shouldn't be telling me this top secret information, if it gets into the wrong hands...

Comment

The Canadian Junior finished on Sunday, Jan 4, 1981 according to Jonathan Berry in his Globe & Mail Column.

I looked through the Edmonton Journal but didn't find any coverage until after it was over, photos of Alex Kucnecov and Jim Woodley. Listed was the Edmonton Chess Club meetings on Mondays in the Kingsmen Sports Centre.

Earlier in the year, the report on the CFC annual meeting said that there were no bids received for the event. Also, there was an overlap with the Ontario Closed.

The Canadian Cadet Championship in 1980 was won by Paul Ross and in '81 by Tom O'Donnell.

Also in the CFC magazine of the time:

The CFC was selling the Sargon/Boris 2.5 Modular Game System for around $600, although their best selling chess computer was Chess Challenger 7, only $225.

Bruce and Robin Harper made a drawing of the "Extrazonal" with aliens playing chess, the consequence of computers playing in chess tournaments.

Comment

Working...
                        X