Please support our Olympic Teams!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please support our Olympic Teams!

Our teams are showing great fighting form in their final preparations for the Olympiad. The cost of sending our teams was increased by about $5,000 when the organizers changed the schedule of charter flights after our tickets were booked, forcing us to rebook! Then the schedules were changed again, and as it stands we will have to overnight in Munich on the way back.

On the plus side, we have received confirmation that our entire delegation will be staying at the "Hotel Olympic" - the newly finished 846 room hotel built for the occasion.

If you are in a position to contribute, the CFC would love to hear from you. Every little bit helps!

Organizers - Olympic Waive tournaments are a great way to attract new and /or lapsed members and support our teams. The deal is simple - hold a 3 round, one day tournament, remit $20 per player to the Olympic fund and all CFC fees are waived. The tournament is rated, and hopefully the new recruits will be hooked and become regular members.

Re: Please support our Olympic Teams!

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
    Our teams are showing great fighting form in their final preparations for the Olympiad. The cost of sending our teams was increased by about $5,000 when the organizers changed the schedule of charter flights after our tickets were booked, forcing us to rebook! Then the schedules were changed again, and as it stands we will have to overnight in Munich on the way back.

On the plus side, we have received confirmation that our entire delegation will be staying at the "Hotel Olympic" - the newly finished 846 room hotel built for the occasion.

If you are in a position to contribute, the CFC would love to hear from you. Every little bit helps!

Organizers - Olympic Waive tournaments are a great way to attract new and /or lapsed members and support our teams. The deal is simple - hold a 3 round, one day tournament, remit $20 per player to the Olympic fund and all CFC fees are waived. The tournament is rated, and hopefully the new recruits will be hooked and become regular members.
    Are you (or is anyone?) sure the hotel is actually 'finished' or is it some other definition of 'finished'... (I don't mean to add to the obstacles, but recent reports on the hotel make it rather doubtful the hotel will actually be finished).
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re : Re: Please support our Olympic Teams!

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      Are you (or is anyone?) sure the hotel is actually 'finished' or is it some other definition of 'finished'... (I don't mean to add to the obstacles, but recent reports on the hotel make it rather doubtful the hotel will actually be finished).
      These recent reports help to lower expectations. In this way people won't be disappointed: they expect the worse and, of course, it won't be that bad. Hopefully.

Comment

That's my take as well Jean. I have heard that the hotel is finished. I hope to get a first hand report on the matter tomorrow from Nigel Freeman, who was in the Moscow airport an hour ago awaiting his flight.

Meanwhile, I want to thank Guelph's 3 Musketeers - Michael von Keitz, Rob Clark and Mike Zaghi for offering to hold an Olympic Waive tournament on Saturday, October 2, on the 4th floor of the Guelph University Centre.

I'll leave it to them to flesh out the details.

Comment

Charter flights have been changed again yesterday. I hope the inconvenience and cost will be minimal to our team.

Canada is ranked #52. I am convinced many players will pick up fruitful experience... and rating points.

http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/ol...in/#more-29782

Comment

Re : Please support our Olympic Teams!

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
            The cost of sending our teams was increased by about $5,000 when the organizers changed the schedule of charter flights after our tickets were booked, forcing us to rebook!
            That is very similar to what happened to me going to the World Cup in Khanty-Mansyisk last november. My flight from Moscow to Khanty was cancelled three days before departure, forcing me to buy another ticket on the other flight available. This ended up costing me an extra 500$. To make things worse, the organizers created more confusion by first telling me to buy another ticket, and then when it was much too late anyway, telling me that I could show up for the other flight with the old ticket at no extra cost (which was never confirmed and to this day makes no sense to me at all)! This was Kirsan's typical FIDE stuff. Make me sick to think that the CFC is still considering voting for more of that.

Comment

In other Olympic News, Spraggett is talking about the "Toronto Teams" on his blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                In other Olympic News, Spraggett is talking about the "Toronto Teams" on his blog.
                I think the coverage is fair and balanced.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The latest round of charter changes have actually favoured Canada. We now have 2.5 hours to catch our charter from Munich, and coming back we will not have to overnight in Munich after all.

Our players need your help! Donations can be sent to the CFC at the following address:

The Chess Federation of Canada
                  356 Ontario Street, Suite 373
                  Stratford, ON
                  N5A 7X6

Telephone:
                  (519) 508-2362
                  Fax:
                  (519)508-6595

E-Mail: info@chess.ca

Comment

Working...
                  X