• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guelph Olympic Waive Tournament #3

Guelph Olympic Waive #3
    Saturday, October 2, 2010
    Room 442, Guelph University Centre
    3 Round Quads
    Sections: Quads, based on rating (floaters will be on standby, if a section needs to be filled)
    Round Times: Saturday 10:00am, 1:00pm, 4:00pm
    Time Control: G/30 + 30 for all rounds
    Entry Fees: $20/player, all of which will be remitted to the CFC's Olympic Fund
    Half Point Byes: none
    Prizes: just to be a little different, we should be offering a 1 liter beverage holder to the winner of each quad - it may come in handy at some point during the KW Oktoberfest Open
    Register: email chess@uoguelph.ca; pay on site from 9:00-9:30 am Saturday.
    Tournament Directors: Michael von Keitz, Rob Clark, and Michael Zaghi

Re: Guelph Olympic Waive Tournament #3

Hey everyone,

It looks like it will be a good tournament and also the first that I'm gonna be able to help out with in Guelph. So feel free to send us an email, let us know your coming and to support our Olympic team.

Comment

Michael Zaghi anxiously awaits word as to whether Rob Gashgarian will be seeking vengeance.

Comment

With the event less than a week away, we are still waiting on you eager beavers to submit your respective entries to chess@uoguelph.ca. Ideally, we would like to have some indication by Thursday evening.

Comment

Sorry Michael, I'd like to have the chance to exact my revenge :), but I can't make it this weekend.

Comment

Hopefully you will be able to attend the next Guelph waive tournament Rob.

Comment

If nothing changes, our top quad will have an average rating of 1823. Feel free to come out and support our Olympic team. There is still time to send an e-mail off to us at: chess@uoguelph.ca.

Comment

Hi Michael,

Is this tournament CFC rated? Thanks.

Comment

Hello Mikhail,

Yes, the tournament will be rated by the CFC.

Comment

The event has now come and gone. Unfortunately, the turnout was lower than expected, with more than one person admitting that they were incapacitated by the Sandman. In any event, we drew in three unrated players, who seem excited by the prospect of participating in future rated events. In the quad's first round, I was fortunate enough to survive an ugly opening against Razvan Preotu to secure the draw. In the final round, he had Mikhail Egorov sweating bullets, and was rewarded with a second draw, which secured him 2nd-place in the section. In fact, Razvan was truly the story of the day. In addition to his performance in the quad, he scored a perfect 5.0/5 in a kids CMA tournament put on by Patrick McDonald in the afternoon, and finished 1.5 points ahead of the pack in an 8-player RR blitz tournament that also featured two unrated competitors, Rob Clark, Michael Zaghi, Stuart Brammall, Mikhail Egorov and myself. For me, the highlights of the blitz included yet another successful campaign with the Cornstalks Opening (technically, the Crab Variation of the Ware Opening, but I prefer to stick with the slight misnomer), as well as facing the Halloween Gambit against Stuart, who, so the rumour goes, has published a manifesto on it for the Hart House Chess Club. You might never see these openings feature in the praxis of the modern grandmaster, but, perhaps surprisingly, they seem sufficiently difficult for A- and B-class players to crack.

Comment

I have received unofficial word today that the $120 raised by our event this weekend should put the total funds raised for the Olympic squads over the $13,000 barrier. Special thanks to Rob Clark, who, including transport and set-up of equipment, put a great deal of volunteer effort into seeing the event was a success.

Comment

Thanks Rob and Mike for carrying the torch - every little bit helps. Rob and I were trading knee surgery stories before I left for Khanty. I have more of them but his are far more gruesome!

Next stop for Guelph is the Fall Pro-Am, November 6-7.

Comment

Working...
                        X