Why do more women not play chess ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do more women not play chess ?

You seem to have a bad memory Gary. Seeing that your main goals are to dump on these women's teams or try to eliminate them you are hardly worth talking to.
    Last edited by Duncan Smith; Friday, 5th September, 2008, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
      You seem to have a bad memory Gary. Seeing that your main goals are to dump on these women's teams or try to eliminate them you are hardly worth talking to.
      Duncan, it wasn't me who dumped on the women's team after the last Olympic. Don't you remember? Shall we run a poll?

I wish those who recall would jump in and remind you. This seniors moment is your greatest hour of need.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Gary, you are always dumping on the women's team. Doesn't matter what year or the fact you have zero involvement in it really. Here we are in 2008 you have started dumping on them again. I am quite supportive of this year's team.

I brought up several legitimate concerns after the event was over in 2006. I had facts to back them up, the team management was in agreement with me the team should have been handled better. Board order was never an issue, it is actually libelous for you to state this. I personally may not have believed 100% that it was the best board order but it was ok and we accepted it pre-event. The cultural issues were real but this year's team has changed considerably and given these changes I am more comfortable with the team roster. With quality people like Lawrence Day involved who was very aware of what actually occured in 2006 I am quite sure they are better prepared this year.

ps I am replying simply to set the record straight for others to read. With respect to you, Gary, you are definately being a shit disturber at this point looking for any way to disrupt other people you don't like. John said you were bitter I agree with him.
        Last edited by Duncan Smith; Friday, 5th September, 2008, 11:29 PM. Reason: ps

Comment

Gary, you are always dumping on the women's team. Doesn't matter what year or the fact you have zero involvement in it really. Here we are in 2008 you have started dumping on them again. I am quite supportive of this year's team.

I brought up several legitimate concerns after the event was over in 2006. I had facts to back them up, the team management was in agreement with me the team should have been handled better. Board order was never an issue, it is actually libelous for you to state this. I personally may not have believed 100% that it was the best board order but it was ok and we accepted it pre-event. The cultural issues were real but this year's team has changed considerably and given these changes I am more comfortable with the team roster. With quality people like Lawrence Day involved who was very aware of what actually occured in 2006 I am quite sure they are better prepared this year.

ps I am replying simply to set the record straight for others to read. With respect to you, Gary, you are definately being a shit disturber at this point looking for any way to disrupt other people you don't like. John said you were bitter I agree with him.
          I notice you specify you are supportive of this years team. Were you not supportive of the last team? I have some of your comments regarding a couple of the players archived. Do you want to see them?

I notice you said you agreed to the board order pre-event. Did you support it and the players post event? Since you want to set the record straight, it's a legitimate question.

I never saw Lawrence come to your defence and support your comments after the 2006 event. I never saw him mention "cultural differences" and wish you would explain the term. It's a totally meaningless term which could be as simple as the others not wanting to eat at a burger joint so somehow this effected team unity.

Regarding John's comment, I forgive him. I think he's an older man and I don't like to think unkindly of the elderly. I understand he's done good for chess.

What exactly have you ever done for chess? I keep asking and you never seem to reply.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Thank you for your forgiveness, Gary. I'm probably going to need all the forgiveness I can lay my hands on. I am no longer tall and tanned, young and lovely, if I ever was.

What I actually said was, that you "come across as bitter". Which I think is true.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
              Thank you for your forgiveness, Gary. I'm probably going to need all the forgiveness I can lay my hands on. I am no longer tall and tanned, young and lovely, if I ever was.

What I actually said was, that you "come across as bitter". Which I think is true.
              I'm not going to get into how people sound on message boards. After running a message board myself for years, I've found most people are much different in person. Myself and a number of other system operators used to get a park permit for a picnic, buy the hot dogs, pop, corn and other stuff, and cook the stuff up for crowds that were always well over 200. Ages from teens to seniors. The food was free for them. Some of the fiercest debaters were quite shy in person.

Duncan I've met in person. Judging by the stuff he writes to me I'd say he's made an assessment he can write whatever he wants to me and I'm mild mannered and good natured enough that I won't do much about it.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Gary, you go ahead and contact Lawrence Day and/or Brian Hartman and see how receptive they are to dealing with you. Lawrence has posted on the topics and he was very happy to invite Hazel to play this year.
                Last edited by Duncan Smith; Sunday, 7th September, 2008, 10:48 PM.

Comment

John, I think it's appropriate I just let you guys converse with this character Gary Ruben as much as you want right through the Olympiad. Hell, even invite him to your chess events. Get to know him, see what he has to offer. Maybe scholastic can use Gary as a spokesperson given how wonderfully positive he always is concerning juniors and chess events.

If the Olympiad committee truly values Gary's input they'll add him to the team. Maybe they'll conference call him before rounds and get him to set the roster. Even better, how about selecting Gary for fifth board on the national team ? Then he can try to live up to the results expectations he places on other players himself. And we can see once and for all if correspondance skills are directly transferable to otb.

I truly look forward to Canadian chess moving forward from the year 2008 with Gary Ruben leading the charge. Starting with 2008 Olympiad, you will get Gary's impartial and keen analysis,
                  your very own personable but unofficial link to the team.

John, I also invite you to suggest Gary as a key contributor to the new CFC online magazine. You won't need Olympiad team members contributing at all, especially the ones subjected to Gary's more scathing commentary. Just more Gary all the time.

The wheels are in motion now I leave you to enjoy Gary unimpeded.
                  Last edited by Duncan Smith; Sunday, 7th September, 2008, 04:38 PM.

Comment

If the Olympiad committee truly values Gary's input they'll add him to the team.
                    I suppose they don't value your input either, seeing as how you've never been added to a team?

And why no response to the following point?

Quite objectively there is a lot of potential with the current women's group and not yet a lot of back up from the junior ranks other then the girls already on the team. So it truly is time to get behind these players ride out the rough spots and aim for doing really well as a team by 2010. Irina earned her spot there wasn't a lot of alternatives really the other junior girls are too lowly rated to merit a "youth movement" type selection and Dinara we're not sure if she's playing any chess right now.
                    A lot of potential? :') How many of the women do you think will even obtain an FM title? If you think players like Barron, Smith and Kagramanov have potential, then surely you think that I have potential, as well?
                    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

You doubt they will add Gary ? Are you for real ? Gary is a close personal friend of Spraggett and Charbonneau, and thus a natural peacemaker for the national team. Board order leave it to Gary he'd know what to do.

"Children" need not apply of course.
                      Last edited by Duncan Smith; Monday, 8th September, 2008, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Re: The role of gender stereotypes in chess

Such a study in my opinion could be contry specific only. The self esteen of an Italian girl (I think the study was made there) is completely different than Canadian's girls because of the completely different nature of the relations between mans and women there.

If the study was made with North American's girls in the group then the conclusions can be applied to our women here only.

The Self-Esteem of a girl is probably the result of the environment. Compare a Girl from Iran with Sarah Palin and you will see a big difference.

Originally posted by Jean-Pierre Rhéaume View Post
                        Thank you so much, Mr Liles.

Copy and Paste :

X X X X X X X

Women are surprisingly underrepresented in the chess world, representing less that 5% of registered tournament players worldwide and only 1% of the world’s grand masters. In this paper it is argued that gender stereotypes are mainly responsible for the underperformance of women in chess. Forty-two male–female pairs, matched for ability, played two chess games via Internet. When players were unaware of the sex of opponent (control condition), females played approximately as well as males. When the gender stereotype was activated (experimental condition), women showed a drastic performance drop, but only when they were aware that they were playing against a male opponent. When they (falsely) believed to be playing against a woman, they performed as well as their male opponents. In addition, our findings suggest that women show lower chess-specific self-esteem and a weaker promotion focus, which are predictive of poorer chess performance. Copyright # 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

Read the entire article: Maass et al Women and chess.pdf

X X X X X X X

Truely amazing !

I still have to reed the 15-page pdf-file.

Have a nice weekend.
                        And thank you again.

Comment

Let me tell you about the lower level of the players on the women's team of Chess Olympiad and the way to help our girls here.

(I used Google translator from french sorry....)

My 8 years old daughter Cendrina Bilodeau-Savaria has just been ejected from "Junior Chess Club of St. Bruno" in Quebec in our city St-Bruno de
                          Montarville because of her level of play too competitive. My daughter
                          (and my two boys, 5 and 6 years by the very fact) therefore find
                          themselves without a junior club (semi-rapid) to play and socialize at the beginning of this season Chess'N Math.

The past winter, at the age of 7 years, Cendrina had the 3rd highest
                          rating of the club.

The Junior Chess Club of St-Bruno every Friday sort children by their
                          ratings "Level 3: beginner, Level 2: Intermediate and Level 1: expert". Cendrina because her rating was part of Level 1: Advanced and she was
                          taught interresting chess concepts. Parents of teenagers (lower ratings
                          for most of them) on the Board of Directors saw that Cendrina because
                          of her rating was part of group 1 in the chess classes. They held a meeting and decided unanimously that Cendrina because of her age would be demoted to a lower level. In her classes she was taught, therefore,
                          until the end of the year, simple concepts already acquired.

Then during the years 2007-2008 the teenagers boys of the club stopped all but one to talk to Cendrina and refused systematically to play against her under the eyes of the parents. She had therefore to play each week with players having a rating of at least 300 under hers but never refused any match.

Came then the Chess'n Math Quebec Interclub 2007-2008 as in previous
                          years. Because of her higher rating and the rules the club HAD to give her a high chessboard. People of the club simply did boycot the second interclub. In the third Quebec interclub of the year the Club's director, Claude Lalumière, announced to all by email that Cendrina would be entrusted with the chessboard 3 even if she had the second highest rating of participants of the club. Cendrina attended the tournament and was entrusted with the chessboard number 2 (tournament regulations forbid her to take a chessboard below).

During the years 2007-2008 Cendrina won the two "Girls Championship" for
                          the females of the Club winning all her games. She won that year the two trophies which usually were always won by another girl who takes private classes with the Chess Club director: Claude Lalumière. The director said in front of other parents that Cendrina was lucky in the last tournament to win against his own student since Cendrina had lost her pasted-pawn. He said "She won but is it a true win?", In this match my daugter had the Queen and a Knight without compensation!! At home Cendrina threw her trophy to garbage.

During the summer the Board of Directors of "Le Club d'Échecs junior de St-Bruno" decided to withdraw the women's championship altogether. If Canada wants to help girls to compete like boys I believe that this is not the right decision. If Canada does the same for the Olympiad and remove the woman team in future then I think we are just closing doors that other contries won't close.

During the summer Cendrina FQE rating exceeded that of the second
                          player in the club. The mother of this teenager is another important member of the Board of Director of the club. We learned by email this week that:
                          1 - A chess club is not the place for players who wants to compete and play in tournaments.
                          2 - The club wants players who only play occasionally. (Yet the Club's director's son has a 1700 ratings and win the first trophy every year !! )
                          3 - The club does not want players who have coaches (though my daughter has no coach and the director Claude Lalumière himself teaches some children of the club including his own son).
                          4-The trophies will no longer be given for performance but for
                          participation.
                          5 - There will be no more Girls tournaments in the club. (Cendrina
                          would have been the favorite)

Children play differently than adults because they rely heavily on
                          tactics. How to practice and socialize with children if we close the
                          door in our cities where we pay taxes. The club receive a free room from the city from tax payers. I am one of those tax payer.

So I see these comments about the level of play for the girls who go to
                          the Olympiad represent Canada and I tell myself that if participants had to face closed doors when they were young, how can they still earn sarcasm when they are adults? Who is really responsible for their performance and their level of motivation?

Cendrina is going in Vietnam in October to represent Canada for her second place in the Canada's Youth Championship. When she will come back there will be little congratulations (a International Master in Quebec talks about these players with no talents but rich parents going in World Competitions) and she will have no more junior club for her in her own city.

Carl
                          St-Bruno de Montarville

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                          A lot of potential? :') How many of the women do you think will even obtain an FM title? If you think players like Barron, Smith and Kagramanov have potential, then surely you think that I have potential, as well?

Comment

We used to encounter similar roadblocks occasionally, there is a built in systematic bias to overcome.
                            Last edited by Duncan Smith; Monday, 8th September, 2008, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Cendrina is welcome to play in any tournament I run in Montreal. And if she beats the older players, more power to her!

Comment

If the Olympiad committee truly values Gary's input they'll add him to the team. Maybe they'll conference call him before rounds and get him to set the roster. Even better, how about selecting Gary for fifth board on the national team ? Then he can try to live up to the results expectations he places on other players himself. And we can see once and for all if correspondance skills are directly transferable to otb.
                                In case you haven't heard this is the electronic era. The results live forever. I wouldn't play on a team where I had a chance of performing poorly because the results live forever. I leave GETTING SMASHED and HUMILIATED to the young and/or the stupid.

By the way, I reported you and your posts. I note some of them have been edited.

I really don't know why you are upset with me. I'm not the one who posted that game on Chess5. In fact, I wondered at the authenticity. It looks like it could have come from a book entitled "Losing Defences".
                                Gary Ruben
                                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                                X