Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do more women not play chess ?

Thank you Charles,

We will surely go with Cendrina in your tournaments. Many thanks Charles.

Last week Cendrina played in the Wednesdays tournament of Mr Millette with adults in Montreal. There was a sick children which could not come and instead of making him lose, Mr Millette asked the opponent, an adult, if it was possible to come back another day to play the tournament game. Mr Millette will open the room for them and wait for them to play. So the behavior we had in St-Bruno cannot be generalized to all chess clubs or tournaments organizer.

As a father of 5 out of which 3 are chess players, I enjoyed having a chess club for my 5 and 6 old boys as well. But they will now probably play home until they get a better rating for tournaments only activity.

Thank you again.
    Carl
    Originally posted by Charles Aronowitz View Post
    Cendrina is welcome to play in any tournament I run in Montreal. And if she beats the older players, more power to her!

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Bilodeau View Post
      Let me tell you about the lower level of the players on the women's team of Chess Olympiad and the way to help our girls here.

(I used Google translator from french sorry....)

Cendrina is going in Vietnam in October to represent Canada for her second place in the Canada's Youth Championship. When she will come back there will be little congratulations (a International Master in Quebec talks about these players with no talents but rich parents going in World Competitions) and she will have no more junior club for her in her own city.

Carl
      St-Bruno de Montarville

Best of luck to your daughter in Vietnam!! The story you related is a disgrace and I wonder if those people will ever have any clue.

regards,
      Kerry Liles
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re: The role of gender stereotypes in chess

Such a study in my opinion could be contry specific only. The self esteen of an Italian girl (I think the study was made there) is completely different than Canadian's girls because of the completely different nature of the relations between mans and women there.

If the study was made with North American's girls in the group then the conclusions can be applied to our women here only.

The Self-Esteem of a girl is probably the result of the environment. Compare a Girl from Iran with Sarah Palin and you will see a big difference.
        I agree with you. The behaviour of people always depends on many factors. So the result of any behavior study must be put into perspective. Extrapolation requires great care.

I have not yet read the document. I wait to be able to print it in order to read it over a coffee. Maybe only Wednesday, for various reasons.

After a nice weekend, have a nice week.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Pierre Rhéaume View Post
          I agree with you. The behaviour of people always depends on many factors. So the result of any behavior study must be put into perspective. Extrapolation requires great care.

I have not yet read the document. I wait to be able to print it in order to read it over a coffee. Maybe only Wednesday, for various reasons.

After a nice weekend, have a nice week.
          Jean-Pierre,

I am very curious to see the details. I think it will be very instructive for parents and ... for the girl that is playing against a man or girl... and for the man that is playing against a girl and want to use the psychological factor to get a small advantage.

Thanks.
          Carl

Comment

Hi Carl,

You, Cendrina, and the rest of your family (or anyone else for that matter) should not have to endure the small mindedness of these club people. Susan Polgar also had to endure a lot of smallminded people. In fact, I think she is quoted as saying, "I have never won against a healthy man". After beating them, the men would always come up with lame excuses of a headache or stomache ache or having a cold, etc.

It is heartbreaking to hear that the egos and jealousy of others trying to bully your family. These people give chess and sportsmanship (or should I say sportpersonship?) a black eye.

Please let Cendrina know that we support her and are proud of her accomplishments both at the chessboard and as a person.

It was our family's pleasure to have met you in Turkey at the World Youth Chess Championships in 2007 and then again at this year's CYCC in Quebec. I am happy to see that Cendrina has continued her winning ways and will be representing Canada again in Vietnam for WYCC 2008.

I don't need to wish Cendrina luck, because it is not good luck that has gotten her to this point, it is her skills and determination. So, all the best to you, Cendrina, and the rest of your family.

Victoria

Comment

I read the study tonight. This study was performed in Italy with only 42 ITALIANS females players. Since the relationship between Women and Men is completly different in Italy compare to Canada this study in my opinion makes no sence at all for us (I worked in Italy for a few months, watched their TVs, etc.).

Well this study could be useful i must admit: If you are a man and in the COC 2009 you play with a beautiful Italian girl coming from Italy (not from Canada it won't probably work) you should try to show your confidence and keep a big smile of self control for the whole game. If you are a Canadian woman you should tell your Italian opponent you had a sex change operation and that she is actually playing with a man. This will give a 100 pts boost to your performance.

Carl

Jean-Pierre,

I am very curious to see the details. I think it will be very instructive for parents and ... for the girl that is playing against a man or girl... and for the man that is playing against a girl and want to use the psychological factor to get a small advantage.

Thanks.
              Carl

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                We used to encounter similar roadblocks occasionally, there is a built in systematic bias to overcome.
                It would be interesting to hear your stories. What did you decide to do? Did you had to give up chess clubs?

Comment

Victoria,

We were very happy to read your note. Good souvenirs of those tournaments came back immediatly as we read.

I will teach Cendrina as she grow to be a "a pitbull with lipstick" on the board.

Many thanks
                  Carl

Originally posted by Victoria Jung-Doknjas View Post
                  Hi Carl,

You, Cendrina, and the rest of your family (or anyone else for that matter) should not have to endure the small mindedness of these club people. Susan Polgar also had to endure a lot of smallminded people. In fact, I think she is quoted as saying, "I have never won against a healthy man". After beating them, the men would always come up with lame excuses of a headache or stomache ache or having a cold, etc.

It is heartbreaking to hear that the egos and jealousy of others trying to bully your family. These people give chess and sportsmanship (or should I say sportpersonship?) a black eye.

Please let Cendrina know that we support her and are proud of her accomplishments both at the chessboard and as a person.

It was our family's pleasure to have met you in Turkey at the World Youth Chess Championships in 2007 and then again at this year's CYCC in Quebec. I am happy to see that Cendrina has continued her winning ways and will be representing Canada again in Vietnam for WYCC 2008.

I don't need to wish Cendrina luck, because it is not good luck that has gotten her to this point, it is her skills and determination. So, all the best to you, Cendrina, and the rest of your family.

Victoria

Comment

A disgrace you are right. In the last Interclub in Quebec, the club board of director of our club were completely upset to see that Ling Feng Ye (2311!! grade 11) was present with the team of his prestigious "Internationnal School". They were saying that it was unfair and he was stealing the trophy from others hands.

We have some Junior Chess Stars in Quebec like Nikita K, Myriam Roy, Ling Feng Ye, etc., and for our club it is a disgrace to see them in tournaments.

I think that every tournament should be proud to have stars, genius, hard workers. Nonetheless those stars are all very well educated and polites. It should be free acces for them in Chess'n Math tournaments to make them participate more. A tournament with Nikita on it has more credibility than without him.

In our chess club, we go in public school of the city to raise membership but the board of director don't want to go in the prestigious private school of the town, one of the most prestigious of the province, since it would bring competitive players. Can you imagine??

Thanks for your support.
                    Carl

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                    Best of luck to your daughter in Vietnam!! The story you related is a disgrace and I wonder if those people will ever have any clue.

regards,
                    Kerry Liles

Comment

In our chess club, we go in public school of the city to raise membership but the board of director don't want to go in the prestigious private school of the town, one of the most prestigious of the province, since it would bring competitive players.Carl
                      Could you start your own club with similar structure but more freedom and motto: "Playing with stronger gets you stronger" (or similar)

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                        A lot of potential? :') ...then surely you think that I have potential, as well?
                        But ben, you've already reached your potential. You've self-actualized as an inconsiderate, insensitive, rude young person. What more do you want out of life?
                        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                          Could you start your own club with similar structure but more freedom and motto: "Playing with stronger gets you stronger" (or similar)
                          This is what my wife wants us to do. But I hesitate since the age of my kids are : 5 months, 2 years, 5 years, 6 years and 8 years old. The amount of work these days is like a daycare at home. But in a few years things will be easier.

Carl

Comment

Hi Carl,

Are there any adult chess clubs near you that you could take Cendrina to?

This past year, I took my (almost) 9 yrs old son to an adult chess club. I was not sure at first if this would be a good idea; but, that feeling went away very quickly. Most of the adult players are my age or better (there are also one or two in their twenties). They are a great bunch of guys and most rate between 1600 to 2100.

Win, lose, or draw with my son, they have always displayed great sportsmanship and in general have been very supportive and encouraging to him.

In fact, I have even started playing again instead of just waiting for my son to finish his game(s). As the only woman currently at the club (sometimes a friend of mine (also a woman) comes out to the club, as well as a teenage girl), I have always been well received.

Getting away from the "crazy" local junior chess world can be good. Maturity of emotion, mind, and play speak volumes, and is a good environment and good example for my son to see.

Also, have you checked out playing chess on the Internet?

All the best,
                            Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria Jung-Doknjas View Post
                              Getting away from the "crazy" local junior chess world can be good. Maturity of emotion, mind, and play speak volumes, and is a good environment and good example for my son to see.
                              Interesting point of view Victoria! I am glad to hear that you found the mostly-adult clubs to be nice places to play and socialize. The Burlington CC is similar in that we have mostly old[ish] men, but we have some regular juniors and we like to think we treat them with the same respect we would treat everyone and anyone. I am not so old that I don't recall how intimidating it was for me to play at an "adult" chess club (in my case it was the Scarborough CC in the mid sixties...) At that time everyone was welcoming and very supportive and gave no quarter just because I was a 'kid'

I am astonished at the story about Cendrina's problems with that club...
                              I cannot get over it!
                              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

The Scarborough CC has about 20 % junior membership. They are generally well-behaved and respectful ( as well as being good players ). Adult members treat them also with respect , and encourage their improvement ( and are good losers when a junior bests them ). I would hope all chess clubs strive for this type of environment for juniors.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X