Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hungarian over the board GM-IM-ELO chess tournaments 2010-2011

Dear Chessfriends, I am new here.
    If you like, visit the site www.firstsaturday.hu website about the near future Hungarian chess tournaments.

What is your opinion?
    Who does wish more information?
    Nagy Laszlo
    FIDE International chess organizer
    www.firstsaturday.hu
    E-mail: firstsat@hu.inter.net
    Mobile: +36-30-2301914

Re: Hungarian over the board GM-IM-ELO chess tournaments 2010-2011

Hi Nagy,
    Good to hear from you on chess talk! I have participated 3 times in your First Saturday tournaments in Budapest over the last few years. I can assure other canadian players, it is a great city to play chess. Budapest is very nice and very affordable. The tournaments are well organised; the games always start on time! The arbiter and organiser are friendly. Half your opponents come from Hungary, the other half from around the world. Also, you can play into a few opens there for exemple the Spring Festival in march that I recommend. For those interested, there is a nice adress for an appartement-hotel in Budapest. Just ask Nagy Laszlo or send me a message for the coordinates.

Comment

Hi guys, speaking of Hungary, we're expecting Gellert Papp (FIDE 2393) from Hungary to play in the Ottawa Autumn Open this coming weekend. Nicolas, I also saw an envelope from you in the mailbox today, and I'm recording all the new registrations tonight. It might take a few hours, but I'll be posting the full registered list later this evening.

All the best, Aris.

Comment

Re: Hungarian Tournaments-Hungarian Chess Fed

For a complete tournament listing see the Hungarian Federation site. Advertisements are in Hungarian so email the organiser for an English translation.

http://www.chess.hu/en/versenyek.php

For <2200 FIDE players, during the year there are bargains
        Torokves has 2 RRs(Sept and April)
        SINUS RR(August)
        Entry fees a modest 5000HUF(25CAN$)

SINUS also offers an IM norm RR which featured GM Sergei Kasparov

There are also many nice opens in Hungary like
        -the Hungarian Open in Zalakaros EF CAN$40 which I played in(the <2100 section)
        -the Perenyi Memorial(January) in Budapest(at the Hungarian Federation building) has seating limit 100-110 players so you need to register in advance to reserve your spot. EF based on rating-mine was CAN$28 when I was around 2000FIDE

Send me an email if you need the scoop :)

Longer term residents in Hungary also get a chance to play in the Hungarian Team championships which just started. I was recruited to play for Rakosliget in Division II competition this year. Its a bit awkward if you don't speak Hungarian but not insurmountable.

This is my second year living in Budapest. I do a regular report of my tournaments in the BCCF bulletin too if you need more info.

Budapest
        Michael Yip

Comment

how much would a months accomodation cost in Budapest? on average and is there any room for a 1700 player?

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
            Hi guys, speaking of Hungary, we're expecting Gellert Papp (FIDE 2393) from Hungary to play in the Ottawa Autumn Open this coming weekend. Nicolas, I also saw an envelope from you in the mailbox today, and I'm recording all the new registrations tonight. It might take a few hours, but I'll be posting the full registered list later this evening.

All the best, Aris.
            Hi again, just FYI, even though Gellert Papp had already registered and paid in full for the Ottawa Autumn Open this weekend, he decided earlier today that he could no longer make it, and is deferring his registration to one of our future events. Thanks especially to Billy (who speaks some Hungarian) who offered a lot of hospitality to welcome Gellert.

I'll let you guys know as soon as I know just when Gellert might be making the trip over.

Comment

FS arranged private accomodations for my for my first 9 months for 12 euros/night in a small room-no Internet, or proper study table. Normal price is 15 euros.

Nick Arsenault rented a place for his stay so he can fill you in on renting an apt for a month.

I have my own place now but for a 1-year lease at the 'foreigner' price from a large agency. There are some other sites to check out for short term rentals but I don't know them.

FS runs FM-A,B and C groups but I should warn you that the prices are astronomical compared to the local prices from other organisers...8 or 9 times the local rates so this year I have not played any FS tournaments. There is some risk you won't get 9 rated games either although a few times I have 10-11 games. You will likely play in an FM-C group as a 1700. There's always room for foreigners with cash :)

There's better ways to spend money in Hungary if you ask me.

Michael Yip

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Yip View Post
                FS arranged private accomodations for my for my first 9 months for 12 euros/night in a small room-no Internet, or proper study table. Normal price is 15 euros.

Nick Arsenault rented a place for his stay so he can fill you in on renting an apt for a month.

I have my own place now but for a 1-year lease at the 'foreigner' price from a large agency. There are some other sites to check out for short term rentals but I don't know them.

FS runs FM-A,B and C groups but I should warn you that the prices are astronomical compared to the local prices from other organisers...8 or 9 times the local rates so this year I have not played any FS tournaments. There is some risk you won't get 9 rated games either although a few times I have 10-11 games. You will likely play in an FM-C group as a 1700. There's always room for foreigners with cash :)

There's better ways to spend money in Hungary if you ask me.

Michael Yip
                thanks very much Michael

Comment

Working...
                X