• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Olympiad - round 5

Openwin is possible

Womenanything than 4-0 will be bad :D

Re: 2010 Olympiad - round 5

Looks like 2 1/2 - 1 1/2 for Canada!

Noritsyn has an easily won endgame - he only needs to advance the b- and e-pawns against the king. Well done Nikolai!

>>>>http://ugra-chess.com/liveboard?gameid=1001050204&ln=en

Comment

In other games of note:

Ivanchuk annihilated Sokolov with Black in a Benko Gambit Declined:
      Ivan Sokolov - Vassily Ivanchuk

A very strange and symmetrical game, but check out the ending, ouch!:
      Hikaru Nakamura - Diego Flores

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Siddeley View Post
        In other games of note:

Ivanchuk annihilated Sokolov with Black in a Benko Gambit Declined:
        Ivan Sokolov - Vassily Ivanchuk

A very strange and symmetrical game, but check out the ending, ouch!:
        Hikaru Nakamura - Diego Flores
        Yes, Naka's final move is sweet.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re : 2010 Olympiad - round 5

So far the most spectacular result by far from Canada's players has been the round 2 win by Quebec's Thomas Roussel-Roozmon vs GM Filipov rated 2609. And that, just two days after an exhausting trip and still under heavy jetlag! I am impressed and I am not easily so. Sometimes the canadian squad go though whole olympiads without such a scalp.
          But curiously it has passed almost unnoticed on this Toronto minded board. Apparently it takes a fair minded man to give credit where credit is due. So to my former pupil, congratulations! and keep on showing the way!;)

Comment

Re: 2010 Olympiad - round 5 -Nakamura's king move

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            Yes, Naka's final move is sweet.
            I like Nakamura's King moves. It was like 3 vs 1 piece. Very instructive end game.

Comment

Re: Re : 2010 Olympiad - round 5

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
              So far the most spectacular result by far from Canada's players has been the round 2 win by Quebec's Thomas Roussel-Roozmon vs GM Filipov rated 2609. And that, just two days after an exhausting trip and still under heavy jetlag! I am impressed and I am not easily so. Sometimes the canadian squad go though whole olympiads without such a scalp.
              But curiously it has passed almost unnoticed on this Toronto minded board. Apparently it takes a fair minded man to give credit where credit is due. So to my former pupil, congratulations! and keep on showing the way!;)
              Thomas doesn't have to whine and complain about jet lag. He's winning and having a fine event. The whining is for losers. :p

I thought the lack of comment on the Olympics is because when the writers start mentioning the games the CFC executives start asking for donations. I'm starting to wonder if the CFC bought return tickets or if they were one way.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The French Connection, Bermuda party

Thomas is off to a great start for sure Jean. I remember quite fondly the big upset win over India in 2006 (?), when the French Connection carried us through. Pascal's win against Anand was quite celebrated, but Thomas also scored a nice win against Canada's favorite Indian scalp, Ganguly.

Tomorrow we have 2 tough matches - the guys play Croatia, and the girls face Belarus.

Last night was the famous Bermuda Party, held at a night club close to our hotel. I arrived with Nikolay and Artiom at 10:40. The line up was quite long. I lost them quickly as I took my place in line and endured a 45 minute wait. They got in within 5 minutes by pushing in to the crowd at the door, as many people seemed to be doing. All women were granted express entry, as Thomas was chagrinned to discover after being abandoned by our girls when they reached the club. Is this normal, rude, or just the way it is?

The bar service was equally slow. Nonetheless everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. Some fit women were leading the dance on stage and the dance floor was packed. Even though smoking was allowed and the temparature was at least 5 degrees warmer near the dance floor, there must have been adequate circulation because the air was quite breathable.

Comment

Ya Hal, that's pretty normal, many nightclubs are pretty sexist and it's hard to expect anything more if you're just a guy trying to get in by yourself, must've been a fun experience at a famous club nonetheless.
                  Shameless self-promotion on display here
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Bluvshtein's opponent comes up with a real shocker of a move - 17Rd5! Check it out.
                    >>>>http://ugra-chess.com/liveboard?game...1&ln=en&tmnt=1

Comment

Re : Re: Re : 2010 Olympiad - round 5

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      Thomas doesn't have to whine and complain about jet lag. He's winning and having a fine event. The whining is for losers. :p
                      I take offense at this comment. Winning has never stopped me from whining. :)

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : 2010 Olympiad - round 5

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                        I take offense at this comment. Winning has never stopped me from whining. :)
                        I'll give you that point. :)

I haven't been following the play much but went back and looked at the game with Filipov. If I were writing the short reply to why Filopov lost, it would be like this.

Filipov played 11. Qb6 instead of the Rb8 in the Salov - Kamsky game where black won. Filipov quickly set up an attack which failed, leaving him an exchange down with some extra pawns which were not sufficient compensation. The pawns were quickly won back by Thomas and the superior material won.

Maybe Filipov doesn't like Siberia. :)
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                          Bluvshtein's opponent comes up with a real shocker of a move - 17Rd5! Check it out.
                          >>>>http://ugra-chess.com/liveboard?game...1&ln=en&tmnt=1
                          The other move that finally broke Bluvstein is 52.Rd4+ followed by 53.e6!! . Fine tactics by Saric.

Comment

Working...
                          X