2010 Olympiad - round 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Olympiad - round 6

Starts Monday morning, 5:00 a.m. Eastern time.
    Live games:
    --Open http://ugra-chess.com/results.php?rn=6&tmnt=1&ln=en
    --Womens http://ugra-chess.com/results.php?ln=en&tmnt=2&rn=6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Open
    14 Canada - Croatia (CRO)
    http://www.chess-results.com/tnr3679...0&m=-1&wi=1000
    opponents - http://www.chess-results.com/tnr3679...0&m=-1&wi=1000

Women
    17 Canada - Belarus (BLR)
    http://www.chess-results.com/tnr3679...0&m=-1&wi=1000
    opponents - http://www.chess-results.com/tnr3679...0&m=-1&wi=1000

Re: 2010 Olympiad - round 6

We won't know the individual pairings until tomorrow morning. I think everyone welcomed the free day. At breakfast today, members from both teams were pumped about tomorrow's opponents.

The men's team have been in the "small hall" twice but I don't have the luxury of watching the games. Yuri is kind enough to give me little updates.

Comment

In regard to the pairing system at KhM, I go by comments made for round 2:

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...67&postcount=5

I should elaborate that the reason I don't like game points as a first tiebreak within match points is that there isn't much traction between game points and the quality of the result. Game points are mostly scored by making huge victories over weaker teams and smaller defeats against strong teams. Were every team's pairings and history roughly equivalent (as in a RR), that would be OK, but in reality most of
      the time in a Swiss, a high game point total indicates more opportunity to play weaker teams, in other words a less consistent performance.

As a result, the KhM pairings within any matchpoint group have tended to be random, so you don't get the normal winnowing effect that you get with ranking-number-controlled-pairings.

So I'm predicting notable discontent--and of course, some elation--with the pairing system when 11 rounds have been played and everyone is on the way home.

The FIDE Handbook rules state:
      Originally posted by FIDE Handbook
      14. The position of teams that finish with the same number of match points shall be determined by application of the following tie-breaking procedures in sequence, proceeding from (a) to (b) to (c) to the extent required:

a. the sum of Sonneborn-Berger points, which are calculated as follows:
      match points of each opponent, excluding the opponent who scored the lowest number of match points, multiplied by the number of game points achieved against this opponent;
      b. by the number of the game points scored;
      c. by the sum of the match points of all the teams opponents, excluding the lowest one.
      but more than one commentator has posted that tiebreaking clause "a" will be lower, i.e., that final
      standings will be by game points within match points. That is consistent in that pairings are made that way, but I prefer the way it is written. In other words, I really really don't like game points within match points in a Swiss. Ironically, it was the Russian Club Cup where I first saw game points within match points in a Swiss abandoned. They went back to an old-fashioned but effective RR-leagues-with-relegation system.

My own, albeit unconventional, entry in the Chess Olympiad pairing system sweepstakes, is the Haida Pairing System.

Comment

It's "howdy neighbour" in the 6th round on the top boards of the open Chess Olympics. Georgia and Armenia share a border, while on table 2, so do Hungary and Ukraina. The latter doesn't share a border with either of the first two. Russia comes between them. Russia is all around at the Olyes.

Comment

Oops, meant to post the following comment with the current round (posted with round 5 by mistake). Bluvshtein's opponent came up with the shocker 17Rd5!! Check it out>>> http://ugra-chess.com/liveboard?game...1&ln=en&tmnt=1

Comment

Looks like Thomas will take the draw by perpetual.

Iulia lost.

Comment

Nikolay with another upset win on board four. Mark seems lost on board one.

Comment

No draw - the opponent of Thomas decided to spurn the perp and run with the K.

....and Dina lost.

Comment

We appear OK on remaining boards:
                  Mark has the more active rook.
                  Leonid's opponent has a jammed up rook on d4
                  Thomas' queen is about to become an active piece.
                  :):):)

Comment

Not about the Canadian team, but today Carlsen played 1.e4 g6 2.d4 Nf6 3.e5 Nh5, an opening in the Canadian style. If I remember correctly, this was one of Lawrence Day's old lines.

Comment

Thomas is completely winning now, and I don't think he will mess it up. I think the worst result now would be a tie, with the most likely result a 2.5-1.5 win

Comment

Yes, all looks good. Ya gotta love Thomas' 46Qa8 :D

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post
                          Not about the Canadian team, but today Carlsen played 1.e4 g6 2.d4 Nf6 3.e5 Nh5, an opening in the Canadian style. If I remember correctly, this was one of Lawrence Day's old lines.
                          No, Lawrence prefers that N on g8:) This is purely a Norwegian blunder.

Comment

2-2 with Croatia - Thomas and Nikolay winning.

Ladies - 0.5-3.5 with Belarus - Yelizaveta drawing.

Comment

Black is not ok!

Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post
                              Hey Patrick, tracked down this idea to Adorjan, whom claims was stolen by Leko ( took off an earlier rheumatic kramnik i think -- do your own database search, or check the first Black Is OK by Adorjan), whom made a pact w/ the devil (Andres being God, or possibly a close relative according to one of his fulltime psychiatrists) to become world champ( that almost worked). So its name is the Norwegian Variatrion of the Modern, but seems to have been borne in Budapest.Magnus has assayed this before; can't think of any rational reason why he cracked this can of worms against Mickey, known as one of the most diligent, if not overly conservative, former elites.Magnus has pretty much got away w/ any opening at the top, including suspicious kings gambits and dragons, and in London Classic 2010 vs Mickey, played poorly on the w side of a Nimzo allowing a vicious attack, but there Adams did not take up the gauntlet.. Magnus's tactical genius persuaded him not to in that one..I'd like to rename this sideline the Precipice Variation, where even the world's #1, like Icarus, flew to close to the sun...or fell off a cliff.. and could not fly..

Comment

Working...
                              X