Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IM Roussel-Roozmon is going for GM title tomorrow

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why it is not ridiculous to have games in a team tournament rated, and for norms and titles to be possible? The discussion above suggested possible options for the team captain as to what he might do not for the team, but for an individual, and at the possible expense of the team. There is a clear conflict of interests here, and it exists because individual ratings, norms and titles are available at a team tournament. Something does not make sense.
    To a great degree I have to agree with Brad. While I think the games should still be rated, I think the possibility that late round pairings could be altered based on norms rather than what's best for the team to get the best result. In a regular Swiss tournament, players cannot pick and choose who they play. Therefore, if a team makes a choice that has an apparent benefit to a player's norm chances, but does not benefit the team in performace, then that should be reviewed as a form of cheating -- it maybe not be as severe as cheating, but it should be deemed unacceptable nontheless.

I seriously hope Thomas becomes a GM, but if he has to do it by fixing pairings, then I would not be as happy with the title than if it were earned in the most honest manner possible.

Jordan
    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: IM Roussel-Roozmon is going for GM title tomorrow

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
      Whether a particular country finishes 18th or 24th or 45th does not matter terribly. But a GM norm is something special for a player about which everybody on the team will be happy about.
      It would likely make a difference to sponsorship next time. With an 18th place finish a sponsor can be told the team will be trying for a top 10 finish. With a 45th place finish, who really cares?
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
      X