Olympiad - round 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympiad - round 8

Round 8 vs Mongolia - they have 1 GM, 1 IM, and 1 FM. The ladies face Norway - they have 3 WIM's..

Iran has been doing very well - they could have faced Israel this round.

Re: Olympiad - round 8

3 draws so far - so it's up to Artiom on board 4.

No ladies results yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
      3 draws so far - so it's up to Artiom on board 4.

No ladies results yet.
      Just when it looked like Artiom was in trouble and on the defensive, his opponent opened the game with 23....f5 and Artiom turned the game to his advantage. Reminds me of Artiom's brilliancy king chase against Nakamura in the 2009 Toronto Open:)

So fnal score: Canada 2 1/2 - Mongolia 1 1/2 :):)

Comment

Looks like a close call, I wonder if the Canadian team is a bit exhausted from their upset draw with Bulgaria and couldnt play to their fullest in this round. I assumed after that surprising last round, they woulda wiped the floor with Mongolia
        Shameless self-promotion on display here
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Kirsan is still FIDE prez!

I think the big news right now is that Kirsan destroyed Karpov in the election! 99-55 is a pretty big margin of victory.

Comment

Looks like the ladies won 2.5-1.5 against Norway.

Comment

Re: Kirsan is still FIDE prez!

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
              I think the big news right now is that Kirsan destroyed Karpov in the election! 99-55 is a pretty big margin of victory.
              Money talks. I guess we are in for another 4 years of IllusionOf.
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re: Kirsan is still FIDE prez!

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                Money talks. I guess we are in for another 4 years of IllusionOf.
                Yeah. As expected, Karpov was drop kicked through the goal posts of life.

Any idea how Canada voted? I recall reading they planned to vote for Karpov before it was obvious there would be a coronation.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Canadian Team Performance

If I read the (rather belated) FIDE Olympiad website correctly, after 7 rounds, Canada was scoring well above our seeding in the Open event, standing 36th v. seed of 53 and that was before the win over Bulgaria. (Our women stand 53rd v. seed of 58.)

Comment

After 8 rounds, our standing is 27th. With 11 points, we are tied with Poland, Spain, India, England, etc. Awesome results!

Tomorow we face Czech Republic, seeded no 17.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sasseville View Post
                      After 8 rounds, our standing is 27th. With 11 points, we are tied with Poland, Spain, India, England, etc. Awesome results!

Tomorow we face Czech Republic, seeded no 17.
                      Actually Canada is 26th as far as countries go - unless you count Russia 1 and Russia 3 as two countries. We stand ahead of Russia 2! :)

Comment

Re: Canadian Team Performance

The national team has performed well. Still, with a team event like this, the first 8 rounds are for positioning. The last few rounds are for final placings.

In this case, a fantastic top 10 finish is not out of the question. It's nice to have such a realistic goal so close to the finish.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                        X