Why 5 teams for Russia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why 5 teams for Russia?

I have not seen it described why Russia is entitled to five teams in the Olympiad. I think in the past, the host country was allowed one extra entry.
    It seems that Russia has three additional teams in training for future Olympiads.
    Has anyone raised an objection? Perhaps our FIDE rep, Hal Bond could explain.

Re: Why 5 teams for Russia?

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
    Has anyone raised an objection?
    There were several objections by (can't remember).
    A popular explanation: the hosting country and the hosting region have own teams :D

Comment

Re : Why 5 teams for Russia?

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
      I have not seen it described why Russia is entitled to five teams in the Olympiad. I think in the past, the host country was allowed one extra entry.
      It gives more nations the honour to play Russia. :)

Comment

The 5th team is because of the late cancelation of Romanian team.
        ________
        LovelyWendie99
        Last edited by Andrei Botez; Monday, 9th May, 2011, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Because FIDE has a tsar, corrupted billionaire, chess amateur from Kalmykia Kirsan the Great.
          It is a real tragedy for the chess world. Why did not aliens take him away?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakov Zusmanovich View Post
            Because FIDE has a tsar, corrupted billionaire, chess amateur from Kalmykia Kirsan the Great.
            It is a real tragedy for the chess world. Why did not aliens take him away?
            Aliens are smart.
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              Aliens are smart.
              Jimmy Carter spotted a UFO before he was elected U.S. president. It can be googled. Those sightings are going around like the measles. :)
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                Jimmy Carter spotted a UFO before he was elected U.S. president. It can be googled. Those sightings are going around like the measles. :)
                I'm way too lazy to look this up, but didn't Reagan hope that him and Gorbachev could find common ground between the States and USSR by uniting to fight off an alien invasion, or something like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Nic Haynes View Post
                  I'm way too lazy to look this up, but didn't Reagan hope that him and Gorbachev could find common ground between the States and USSR by uniting to fight off an alien invasion, or something like this?
                  I have no idea but I love it!! :) :)
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

This question was asked repeatedly at the Olympiad. No satisfactory answer was provided. When the number of teams was even, we were expecting Russia to field 3 teams. 5 is a stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                      This question was asked repeatedly at the Olympiad. No satisfactory answer was provided. When the number of teams was even, we were expecting Russia to field 3 teams. 5 is a stretch.
                      So, Hal as Canada's FIDE rep, did you file a formal protest? No doubt you would justly feel concerned that the FIDE office might clip your wings as a respected FIDE arbiter if you spoke out. Perhaps FIDE should have something like an independent judiciary. Just a thought.
                      Cheers,
                      Vlad

Comment

Working...
                      X