looking for someone very fluent in Spanish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for someone very fluent in Spanish

Hi there, I would like to really expand my understanding of Spanish as it relates to chess, for example, the terms used when making a draw claim. So, I am looking for a chess player who is very fluent in Spanish, especially with regards to chess terms. My conversational Spanish is rather beginner, but I think such a chat would be very beneficial for me. If it is someone in the Ottawa area, maybe we could meet for lunch, my tab, and I'll try to learn as much as possible. If it is someone from further away, I can call you, my dime. By the way, if it is someone in Montreal, I will be at that airport most of the day on October 18th.

Thanks and regards, arismarghetis at rogers dot com

Re: looking for someone very fluent in Spanish

Aris ,
    If you can locate, Oscar Villalobos (lives in Ottawa as far s I know)>
    He used to play in Scarboro Club.
    He is a young man rated around 2000.
    The word for draw is tablas. Once you have the spelling ,all you need is one of the many free pronounciator dictionaries on the web.
    Regards
    Mario

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Moran-Venegas View Post
      Aris ,
      If you can locate, Oscar Villalobos (lives in Ottawa as far s I know)>
      He used to play in Scarboro Club.
      He is a young man rated around 2000.
      The word for draw is tablas. Once you have the spelling ,all you need is one of the many free pronounciator dictionaries on the web.
      Regards
      Mario
      Hi Mario, thank you.

I wouldn't want to intrude on Oscar, or anyone else, I would prefer a self-volunteer!

I knew tablas, but I'm talking all the terms (insufficient material, perpetual check, etc.)

Comment

Try Madleen Zapata Martinez. She works for Chess 'n Math at the Ottawa store. :) You could call today from 12-5.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
          Try Madleen Zapata Martinez. She works for Chess 'n Math at the Ottawa store. :) You could call today from 12-5.
          Hey Brad, thanks. I have not met her yet. Is she working any other days this coming week, and what is her favorite treat from Timmies? I could bring her and you some! ;)

Comment

Alas, Madleen is going on vacation to Chile for the next few weeks. But you might try Deen Hergott.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
              Hi there, I would like to really expand my understanding of Spanish as it relates to chess, for example, the terms used when making a draw claim. So, I am looking for a chess player who is very fluent in Spanish, especially with regards to chess terms. My conversational Spanish is rather beginner, but I think such a chat would be very beneficial for me. If it is someone in the Ottawa area, maybe we could meet for lunch, my tab, and I'll try to learn as much as possible. If it is someone from further away, I can call you, my dime. By the way, if it is someone in Montreal, I will be at that airport most of the day on October 18th.

Thanks and regards, arismarghetis at rogers dot com
              Perhaps the little phrase book published by Informant could be useful? It is multi-lingual and covers a lot of common terms that would be used in analysis. You can find it used.

Comment

Working...
              X