Fm Michael Barron -champion of the 3rd Friday night blitz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fm Michael Barron -champion of the 3rd Friday night blitz

Michael Barron became the champion after winning the second game of the tie break match (based on the first one to win) against Yuri Aronov.

It is noted that after the 3rd round, all the players could only score 50 %, making this an exciting event.

In the 4th round, Michael is the first one to score a double victory.

Congratulations to FM Michael Barron !!!

Results of the 3rd Friday Night Toronto Blitz on October 8, 2010:

1. FM Michael Barron - champion 5/8 ( 5 wins 3 loses) Tei break 1.5/2 - won $ 40

2. Yuri Aronov - second place after tie break - 5 points in 8 games ( 5 wins 3 loses) -won $ 25

3-4. S. Ilic - equal 3rd place - 4 points in 8 games ( 4 wins 4 loses) -won $ 5

3-4. E. Casareno - equal 3rd place - 4 points in 8 games ( 4 wins 4 loses) - won $ 5.

5. K. Joliffee - 2 points in 8 games
    Last edited by Erwin Casareno; Sunday, 17th October, 2010, 01:45 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Fm Michael Barron -champion of the 3rd Friday night blitz

Were there only 5 players?

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
    Michael Barron became the champion after winning the second game of the tie break match (based on the first one to win) against Yuri Aronov.

It is noted that after the 3rd round, all the players could only score 50 %, making this an exciting event.

In the 4th round, Michael is the first one to score a double victory.

Congratulations to FM Michael Barron !!!

Results of the 3rd Friday Night Toronto Blitz on October 8, 2010:

1. FM Michael Barron - champion 5/8 ( 5 wins 3 loses) Tei break 1.5/2 - won $ 40

2. Yuri Aronov - second place after tie break - 5 points in 8 games ( 5 wins 3 loses) -won $ 25

3-4. S. Ilic - equal 3rd place - 4 points in 8 games ( 4 wins 4 loses) -won $ 5

3-4. E. Casareno - equal 3rd place - 4 points in 8 games ( 4 wins 4 loses) - won $ 5.

5. K. Joliffee - 2 points in 8 games

Comment

Re: Fm Michael Barron -champion of the 3rd Friday night blitz

There were 8 guests, of which only 5 decided to play.

This turn out could be attributed to the 2010 Toronto Thanksgiving tournament that is starting the next day.

Our new guest is Mr. Kyle Jolliffee.

Comment

Has the weekly blitz tournament died?

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
        There were 8 guests, of which only 5 decided to play.

This turn out could be attributed to the 2010 Toronto Thanksgiving tournament that is starting the next day.

Our new guest is Mr. Kyle Jolliffee.
        When I was a youngster.. many moons ago :) the Friday night blitz was a highlight of my week. Today one can get their blitz fix on the internet which I guess explains the terrible paticipation in weekly blitz tournaments. The only time I see blitz tournaments draw reasonable numbers is when they take place after a tournament with a regular time control...sort of a way to blow off steam after the serious battle :)...but even these numbers are down from the glory years.

So I guess I would like to know...why don't you play in blitz tournaments anymore? Is there anything an organizer can do to make the event more interesting to you?

Larry

Comment

Re: Has the weekly blitz tournament died?

I note that Vlad's blitz has been drawing only between 5 - 12 players generally, and it has been running for a long time.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
            So I guess I would like to know...why don't you play in blitz tournaments anymore? Is there anything an organizer can do to make the event more interesting to you?

Larry
            The Hart House Chess Club also has blitz on Friday nights and can get 20 players.

Maybe try something different like 3 minutes with increments as Jean Hebert claims is more hip. Or 15 minutes per game as used to be done on a weeknight at the old Toronto Chess Club.

Comment

Hi Erik:

Is the Hart House Fri. night just casual blitz play among those present, or is it an actual tournament?

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                Hi Erik:

Is the Hart House Fri. night just casual blitz play among those present, or is it an actual tournament?

Bob
                It is casual blitz or a ladder tournament where winners move up a table and losers move down a table. Then out for food at midnight.

Comment

Working...
                X