Another GM for Canada/Montreal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another GM for Canada/Montreal?

Informed sources tell me that IM Renier Castellanos (Rodriguez) of Spain is planning to stay in Canada. Allegedly - he has enough norms for a GM title (FIDE shows only one - from 2006 - but he might have gotten more since the last rating update).

Currently - he has 5/5 in the Quebec Elite Championships (which is not FIDE rated).

http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/elite/elite-classement.html

Re: Another GM for Canada/Montreal?

I met him at this year's Calgary International and he is a really nice guy. I think that he only has one (maybe two) GM norms but definitely not three. He had a great start at the Calgary International 4/4 but then really slowed down and didn't achieve the norm. I checked the FIDE website and he hasn't played in any FIDE norm tournaments since that time. In any case, he would be a great addition to Canadian chess, even though it would make norm tournaments more difficult to make:)

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
      In any case, he would be a great addition to Canadian chess, even though it would make norm tournaments more difficult to make:)
      Wouldn't that depend on if he changes the flag under which he plays to Canada? I thought a norm tournament requires players with flags from 3 different nations. The nation organizing the event plus players playing under 2 other flags even though they might live in Canada.

Making norms in Canada was never easy. I made my correspondence IM norms on invitations from Canada but my SIM norms were all from the generosity of foreign organizers inviting me to play. It pays to be well known. :)
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

When Hugh mentioned that Renier is planning to permanently move to Canada I assumed that he meant that he would also change his federation.

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        Wouldn't that depend on if he changes the flag under which he plays to Canada? I thought a norm tournament requires players with flags from 3 different nations. The nation organizing the event plus players playing under 2 other flags even though they might live in Canada.

Making norms in Canada was never easy. I made my correspondence IM norms on invitations from Canada but my SIM norms were all from the generosity of foreign organizers inviting me to play. It pays to be well known. :)

Comment

Working...
        X