Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crushing the Caro Kann

Hi JW

One thing that's not quite clear to me is, is Canada being called a third world country, or is our country chesswise like a third world country chesswise, or might you mean something else by calling Canada a 'third world chess power'?
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
      Hi JW

One thing that's not quite clear to me is, is Canada being called a third world country, or is our country chesswise like a third world country chesswise, or might you mean something else by calling Canada a 'third world chess power'?
      In case my question itself is not clear, or an answer to it is hard to find, I'll try to explain further. There are at least five cases compatible with the claim that Canada is a 'third world chess power', as you may have meant it in this thread:

1) I vaguely recall some authority, in the distant past, actually claiming that Canada had become a third world country (not refering to chess here). Seriously.

2) Canada, in all things chess (i.e. chesswise), is like a third world country in all things chess.

3) All of Canada's (overrated!?) competitive players are like a third world country's players.

4) Canada's (overrated!?) top players (not necessarily narrowed down to those finally selected for the olympic teams) are like a third world country's top players.

There is a fifth case that I originally had in mind/(assumed you meant), namely that Canada's Olympic teams this time (as in most past years?) were like a third world country's teams. In my words third rate. You seem to have rejected that case already.

What makes this even more confusing is that a third world country need not necessarily be 'third rate' in any way when it comes to the cases above, but again that's what I assumed you meant.

Comment

Well, Kevin, I don't think the players can be criticized on their showing at the Olympics. I accept they did their best and that was the result.

I see Canada as a third world chess power.

Possibly the players are victums of the system. Dozens of governors. What I see as a flawed selection process for the teams. Not enough money being spent on chess.

I seem to recall Jean saying he went to the World Cup by himself and he was the only player there by himself. No coach or second. Such a situation is unthinkable and as far as I'm concerned. If this was the case, Jean was not properly supported in his effort.

For things to improve the entire structure of the organization will have to change, in my opinion. Unless, of course, you accept that Canadians are not as capable as other nations of competing and winning on the world stage.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
          kovalchuk should not be traded for anything, OR EVEN EVERYTHING. not only is he a star winger for the 2011 stanley cup champion new jersey devils, but he's married to a hot lithuanian pop star

here is her music video
          I kind of regret not having traded Kovalchuk for the team bus on my fantasy team. Last night he was in the stands watching. What they call a "healthy scratch". They don't know if they will allow him to attempt to play tonight.

It occured to me he can't score goals or assists or get shots on goal while he sits in the stands. No help to me at all.

Can the pop star play hockey and score goals and get assists?
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
            We're talking about your opponent, who has a provisional OTB rating of 1698.
            Dan, my previous reply to you was inappropriate. Someone pointed out to me in email you are an adult. I hadn't realized that.

Since you went back and checked my opponents provisional FIDE OTB rating, would you kindly explain to me the relevance of such a rating based on ONE game which my opponent WON?
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              Well, Kevin, I don't think the players can be criticized on their showing at the Olympics. I accept they did their best and that was the result.

I see Canada as a third world chess power.

Possibly the players are victums of the system. Dozens of governors. What I see as a flawed selection process for the teams. Not enough money being spent on chess.

I seem to recall Jean saying he went to the World Cup by himself and he was the only player there by himself. No coach or second. Such a situation is unthinkable and as far as I'm concerned. If this was the case, Jean was not properly supported in his effort.

For things to improve the entire structure of the organization will have to change, in my opinion. Unless, of course, you accept that Canadians are not as capable as other nations of competing and winning on the world stage.
              What you've described doesn't quite seem to match one or more of my five offered guesses as to what Canada being called a 'third world chess power' might mean. Sounds more like Canada is to be considered a third world chess power mainly because of our chess federation for a long time operating sort of like a third rate one in the third world. Canadian chess talent can't fully blossom without adequate support.

Personally, I'm just going to play, as opposed to trying my hand at CFC governance again, at least till after 2012. I'm half expecting something historic and very good to happen by then, unlike grim types might predict. When I was one Governor of many, years ago, I hoped in some small way to improve things chesswise nationally, perhaps trickling down locally, well before 2012, so that I could pass some of the time playing chess more happily. Instead the CFC went south and I had a bit of heartache. At the least I am still interested in seeing what the membership stats are when they come out each May. I'm guessing that chess will be seen as too frivolous for anyone to take seriously after 2012.

Comment

I'm guessing that chess will be seen as too frivolous for anyone to take seriously after 2012.
                What's the significance of 2012?
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

What's the significance of 2012?
                  kevin pacey is literally insane and actually believes something of cosmic/spiritual significance is going to happen on december 21 2012

chess players are an idiotic bunch
                  everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

I kind of regret not having traded Kovalchuk for the team bus on my fantasy team. Last night he was in the stands watching. What they call a "healthy scratch". They don't know if they will allow him to attempt to play tonight.

It occured to me he can't score goals or assists or get shots on goal while he sits in the stands. No help to me at all.

Can the pop star play hockey and score goals and get assists?
                    he scored a goal today you moron!!!!!!!!
                    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Ben is more or less right in his post about 2012. Yeah, I probably am insane :), but what the heck I had Ben on the ropes in two internet games before NJF pulled the plug.

Ben's theme song should be "Banned, on the run". :)
                      (with apologies to Paul McCartney & Wings band members)

P.S.: As a chessplayer, Ben has very intelligently included himself as an part of what he calls an idiotic bunch. ;)
                      Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Monday, 25th October, 2010, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                        he scored a goal today you moron!!!!!!!!
                        Who me? I'm not the guy who decided to pay him 100 Million dollars to play and then sat him in the stands to watch.

Anyhow, New Jersey already doesn't sound happy and the guy is probably untradeable. I guess we'll have to bet on how long the coach will last. Maybe 2 months?
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Ben is more or less right in his post about 2012. Yeah, I probably am insane :), but what the heck I had Ben on the ropes in two internet games before NJF pulled the plug.
                          I didn't notice the post about 2012. Is that the year when a one game provisional rating becomes meaningful?
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I didn't notice the post about 2012. Is that the year when a one game provisional rating becomes meaningful?
                            Might be (though I didn't claim that).

21 December 2012 is a day that has many different sorts of predictions associated with it. The most famous is associated with the Mayan calander, which expires that on that date. An interpretation of drawings found in a re-discovered lost book originally credited to Nostrodamus also point to that date. There are at least some Christians who nowadays associate Book of Revelation final events with it.

I'm not so sure something special isn't going to happen sooner. The prophecy of St. Malachi can be interpreted to mean we currently have the second last Pope. The Jewish Calander, when adjusted, went to the 6000th year since the beginning, so we just started what Christians might call the seventh day (one day in the sight of the Lord is 1000 years). Again that's when final events supposedly begin.

I don't know what exactly is going to happen (or when), but I've had unusual experiences I've written a little about in other threads that convince me an event of some sort is inevitable. I'm praying for a certain thing to happen, after being asked to. Ben may call me insane, well... :)

I think the name of New Jersey's hockey team is going to be changed later. The devil's real enough. I once was tempted by an infernal vision of a white haired woman with pointed eyebrows, but I'd rather not get into it. The devil's not much worth talking about. Again, Ben can call me insane. :)

Comment

Kevin, I don't quite know how to comment on that. I'm generally pretty positive for the next few years.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Kevin, I don't quite know how to comment on that. I'm generally pretty positive for the next few years.
                                Yes, the stories that I'm telling are hard to believe. I talk about it now and then, much against my better judgement, mostly to vent. As I wrote in other threads, to be fair to skeptics, I'm considered schizophrenic, but many things I've seen and felt are just too real and identifiably religious in content for me not to believe. Even though I'd been an atheist before much of it began in my life.

I'm positive about the future too. You must know that no one can be absolutely sure modern scriptures are totally accurate. That's related to what I'm praying for.

I did hear an interesting argument against the theory of evolution the other day. It's that even with wars and plagues, there should be at least thousands of times more people on the earth by now. That's if the world and homo sapiens have been around as long as scientists think.

Science is the new religion.

Comment

Working...
                                X