Bids received: Canadian Open & CYCC 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bids received: Canadian Open & CYCC 2011

The CFC has now received two bids for our 2011 championship tournaments. They are:

1. Richmond Hill - CYCC 2011 - July 6-9, 2011
    Chief Organizer: Anna Jin, CFC Women's Coordinator

2. Toronto - Canadian Open 2011 - July 9-17, 2011
    Toronto - CYCC 2011 - July 9-15, 2011
    Chief Organizer: Ted Winick, President, Chess Institute of Canada

Note: The Toronto bid is contingent on both bids being accepted.

The vetting process will now begin on these 2 bids. We are accepting new bids but with the following deadlines.

"Notice of intent" to bid - 2 weeks (Nov 4th)
    Completed bid - Nov 19th

These deadline apply to Canadian Open and CYCC. All other events, ASAP please.

Re: Bids received: Canadian Open & CYCC 2011

The Toronto bid is an interesting one. CYCC participants are already used to playing 2 games a day; now they will have an opportunity to continue the tradition of playing 2 games a day, but now it will be 1 CYCC game in the morning (presumably) and then 1 CO game in the evening. This may increase the number of participants in the CO; and for those who have participated in both the CYCC and CO in the past, this shortens the time that they/families need to take off work.
    Last edited by Victoria Jung-Doknjas; Friday, 22nd October, 2010, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Does anyone have anything in the works for the 2011 Closed? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria Jung-Doknjas View Post
        The Toronto bid is an interesting one. CYCC participants are already used to playing 2 games a day; now they will have an opportunity to continue the tradition of playing 2 games a day
        Is there any word on the format proposed? Will play be in sections or is it to be one big section again?

Comment

Originally posted by Morgon Mills View Post
          Does anyone have anything in the works for the 2011 Closed? Thanks!
          We are considering one in Alberta, but its not for sure that we will bid yet. By the time we decide someone else might have it already:)

Comment

Vlad: Sounds good! Keep us posted! Thanks.

Comment

There goes half my vacation days again next year. :)

Comment

Some of you may enjoy this funny article on last year's open: Wonky 2010 Canadian Open

It looks like a web bot at some point made keyword substitutions to evade copyright infringement.

The original article can be found here
                Last edited by Ed Zator; Friday, 5th November, 2010, 02:46 AM. Reason: extra link added

Comment

Hmmm ... my opinions ... for whomever cares ...
                  Running a CYCC over 7 days ... bold move ... one that I expect will lead to failure ... Parents already have to take a full week out of their precious vacation time to take their kid(s) to a CYCC. This would lead to almost 2 weeks of their vacation time. Problem one.
                  Problem two: the added cost for the majority of CYCC attendees of almost doubling their hotel nights and in Toronto!
                  I am sure that the very top players, who would like to play in both the CYCC and CO are interested in this system, but the majority of CYCC players are not.
                  I can see that this format would be attended by primarily and almost solely Toronto players. Not truly representative of a CANADIAN Youth championship.

I presume that the Toronto bid being contingent on being an all or nothing bid, that the sharing of costs is necessary in order to hold this event, sucking more of the precious funds out of the WYCC fund, I expect. Especially if a lower attendance is realized due to the above reasons!

I would be very much interested in opinions of parents from across Canada … (and not just the elite that would play in both events).
                  ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
                  Patrick McDonald

:D********;)

Comment

CYCC - Acceptable Format

Hi Patrick:

Here is part of a recent letter I sent to the executive on this issue of the competing formats for the 2011 CYCC:

" I have heard some concerns raised that some CYCC parents are not in favour of this structure ( simultaneous CYCC/CO ). They want the traditional CYCC first, and then the youth can decide whether to play in the following CO, when they will have only one game per day. I have no idea how extensive is this concern. Has the executive any idea how prevalent this view is? I would think it is an important factor in deciding between the competing bids.

I would like to suggest that a canvas be done of the CYCC parents to ask about this. I am assuming that CFC has e-mail addresses for those youth who played in the July 2010 Windsor CYCC, or that the organizer does. Does this seem helpful to the decision-making process? Maybe they could be asked first if their child would play in a CO, and then if they say “ yes “ , then they could get to answer the second question. If the addresses are not available, then perhaps second best would be a post on both the members’ CFC Chess Chat Forum and the CMA ChessTalk ( I think we require high traffic for this investigation ). asking parents to post on the issue. A third option might be to do a poll on both boards to see what the public reaction is to the proposed simultaneous schedule in the one bid. "

Bob

Comment

Re: CYCC - Acceptable Format

Bob,
                      From the initial post, it seems there is only ONE bid for the Canadian Open. It's contingent on a package of the Canadian Open and the CYCC.

The way I'm reading it is if you don't accept the package there is no bid for the Canadian Open.

Personally, I think that part of the bid is reasonable. What pairing method is being proposed for the Canadian Open? Regular Swiss or Accelorated Pairings? That's also important to many who play in events.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: CYCC - Difficult Decision

Hi Gary:

You are right - CFC is between a rock and a hard place.

It may be that the vast majority of CYCC parents, who's kids do not play in the CO ( which is the majority ), don't want the longer 1 game a day format over 7 days - they like the shortened 2 games/day schedule - less commitment for them, and less hotel/ meal, etc. expense for those from out of town; and it may also be that the majority of CYCC parents who's kids will play in the CO, also don't like the format, because the CO game ends so late, and the kids will be tired for their CYCC game the next morning.

If this is so, then the CFC is faced with ignoring the CYCC parents wishes, to get a CO.

Not a pleasant option for the executive ( since the bids are " late " ( not in at the July AGM ), I believe the CFC Handbook says that the executive then makes the decision, not the governors ).

Bob

Comment

Re: CYCC - Difficult Decision

Hi Bob,

I would assume the bid is set in a way the organizer feels he can run a good event and not lose money. Being two separate events, I'd assume a player would concentrate on whichever event he most wants to win.

Gary
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                          X