Looking for Students for a BIG Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Students for a BIG Project

I am looking for high-school students who is taking, took, or planning on taking Computer Science. In about some three to five months time, work will commence on creating a chess engine.

It will be 100% original, student developed code. My expectations are not too high, I estimate by the end of the school year, the engine will be of 1500 to 1600 strength. Please contact the Victoria Park CI Software Design Team at vicparksoftwaredesign@gmail.com for more information.

Re: Looking for Students for a BIG Project

Cool idea!

I wrote a very basic one in Grade 11, but I only had 386's and Quickbasic to work with and I had to write the interface too which took some time. It was SLOOOOW and probably rated around 400 or so.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I took a basic computer science class, but I would have no idea at all how to go about creating a chess engine! Good luck Jesse.

Comment

I'm taking Computer Science right now, but I need to know what program are you going to use for your engine code? Flash ActionScript? or something else?
        University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

I wrote a basic chess program for my degree project. That was back in 1997 and I wrote it in Turbo Pascal. I remember the minimax routine, evaluation function, and legal move generator.
          Last edited by Kirk Gornall; Monday, 25th October, 2010, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
            I'm taking Computer Science right now, but I need to know what program are you going to use for your engine code? Flash ActionScript? or something else?
            flash actionscript? dude...

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse Wang View Post
              I am looking for high-school students who is taking, took, or planning on taking Computer Science. In about some three to five months time, work will commence on creating a chess engine.

It will be 100% original, student developed code. My expectations are not too high, I estimate by the end of the school year, the engine will be of 1500 to 1600 strength. Please contact the Victoria Park CI Software Design Team at vicparksoftwaredesign@gmail.com for more information.
              To make this project REALLY interesting, have the students implement the engine as a neural network. Then, once they have it working, they can spend the rest of their high school years and college years training it to play chess, just like they would train a human newcomer to the game.

That's for real. Neural networks model the human brain and have to be trained to learn something, just like the brain does. What this means is that each student who is involved in this project could take the initial working version, let's call it Baby Genius, and branch off from all the other students, training and modifying their "Baby" to play chess, and each year they could get together and play their versions against each other.

Now THAT would make for a fascinating project!
              Only the rushing is heard...
              Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                To make this project REALLY interesting, have the students implement the engine as a neural network. Then, once they have it working, they can spend the rest of their high school years and college years training it to play chess, just like they would train a human newcomer to the game.

That's for real. Neural networks model the human brain and have to be trained to learn something, just like the brain does. What this means is that each student who is involved in this project could take the initial working version, let's call it Baby Genius, and branch off from all the other students, training and modifying their "Baby" to play chess, and each year they could get together and play their versions against each other.

Now THAT would make for a fascinating project!
                That goes into something called Machine Learning. Which unfortunately for most high-school students who know only the basics of the language (which is the ICS2U1 Ontario course - Computer Science, Grade 10) it is too complicated. I would like to set the bar low first. A 1500 - 1600 computer is a more-realistic goal.

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
                Is that what they are teaching wherever you are from? Because I need a LOT more processing power.

Comment

That goes into something called Machine Learning. Which unfortunately for most high-school students who know only the basics of the language (which is the ICS2U1 Ontario course - Computer Science, Grade 10) it is too complicated. I would like to set the bar low first. A 1500 - 1600 computer is a more-realistic goal.

Is that what they are teaching wherever you are from? Because I need a LOT more processing power.
                  Hi Jesse:

Given the suggestions above I must ask exactly what language are you planning to use? (Obviously not Actionflash or whatever it was.) I'm curious, because the overhead of the language will impact very seriously on this type of app. Secondly, I would argue that your goal of 1500-1600 is optimistic unless you are already following a basic blueprint on how to do this.

Two immediate questions come to mind: are you planning to use an opening book?; are you going to use tablebases? Those are easy to code and will make any engine "look" strong in certain circumstances. Or are you just talking about the strengh of the "playing" (i.e. evaluation and calculation) engine?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                    Hi Jesse:

Given the suggestions above I must ask exactly what language are you planning to use? (Obviously not Actionflash or whatever it was.) I'm curious, because the overhead of the language will impact very seriously on this type of app. Secondly, I would argue that your goal of 1500-1600 is optimistic unless you are already following a basic blueprint on how to do this.

Two immediate questions come to mind: are you planning to use an opening book?; are you going to use tablebases? Those are easy to code and will make any engine "look" strong in certain circumstances. Or are you just talking about the strengh of the "playing" (i.e. evaluation and calculation) engine?

Steve
                    I have a rough plan on what we are doing. One of the people who is currently will be working with me is Cyril Zhang, one of the Canadian representatives to the IOI (International Olympiad in Informatics), whom has written a functional program before, so I will be using his blueprint.

It will be 100% student developed code. The openings book will be made by chess-playing students, the table-bases will be generated (if necessary) from student code (which Kevin Wu, a VP student taught me the algorithm to do so). To answer your other question, the language used is still in the air, as at Victoria Park, Java is taught, whereas at Don Mills it is a combination of Python, C++, and Java. I think it's more leaning to Java.

But before any work must begin, I have to sharpen my own skills in programming. I know this is a nowhere easy and incredibly daunting task.

Comment

Hi Jesse,

This may clarify the scope of the project http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.c...essProgramming. You are definitely right that it is a BIG Project.

I'm curious, because the overhead of the language will impact very seriously on this type of app.
                      Any "real" programming language, e.g. C++, C#, will do.

Just Opening Book & Tablebase won't get you anywhere, you definitely need a evaluation and calculation engine, plus Opening Book & Tablebase for performance improvement.

Michael

Comment

I have a rough plan on what we are doing. One of the people who is currently will be working with me is Cyril Zhang, one of the Canadian representatives to the IOI (International Olympiad in Informatics), whom has written a functional program before, so I will be using his blueprint.

It will be 100% student developed code. The openings book will be made by chess-playing students, the table-bases will be generated (if necessary) from student code (which Kevin Wu, a VP student taught me the algorithm to do so). To answer your other question, the language used is still in the air, as at Victoria Park, Java is taught, whereas at Don Mills it is a combination of Python, C++, and Java. I think it's more leaning to Java.

But before any work must begin, I have to sharpen my own skills in programming. I know this is a nowhere easy and incredibly daunting task.

Before you decide on Java, read this all the way through:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articl...vaSchools.html

If you then decide maybe a Python / C++ implementation is more appropriate, here's a link to an open source tool that makes interfacing the two languages very simple:

http://www.swig.org/
                        Only the rushing is heard...
                        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                          Before you decide on Java, read this all the way through:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articl...vaSchools.html

If you then decide maybe a Python / C++ implementation is more appropriate, here's a link to an open source tool that makes interfacing the two languages very simple:

http://www.swig.org/
                          Thanks for the links. I used to write C++, but school forced me to switch to Java.

Comment

Are university students welcome as well?

Comment

In grade 10 we were being taught Java and now in grade 11 they suddenly switched over to Flash Actionscript, I don't know why.
                              University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Working...
                              X