Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE rated tournaments

Hi guys,

I checked the FIDE handbook on this, but I'm trying to confirm.

I know there are a lot of national federations that don't have their own rating system, unlike the CFC. These federations use the FIDE rating system.

I know there aren't that many FIDE Arbiters, so does that mean that you don't need a FIDE arbiter to hold a FIDE tournament?

Re: FIDE rated tournaments

Everyday minor FIDE rated events can at the moment be run by just about anybody.

They do have to be submitted to FIDE by the National Federation.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
      Everyday minor FIDE rated events can at the moment be run by just about anybody.

They do have to be submitted to FIDE by the National Federation.
      Thanks!

So I can run a local FIDE tournament then. That might be something that could draw some London players down to Windsor.

Comment

You have to first read the FIDE rules for swisses and round robins, though as players can only get FIDE ratings via games with other previously rated FIDE players, and they need a minimum number of these games, etc.

I have no idea how many FIDE rated players you might have in your area, unless you have at least 8 or 10, you're going to have to build up your base more, first.

Comment

Originally posted by Denton Cockburn View Post
          Thanks!

So I can run a local FIDE tournament then. That might be something that could draw some London players down to Windsor.
          You sure can, but please note that there will be extra charges on it and to avoid some major penalties you have to register the tournament with the CFC at least a month BEFORE the tournament actually takes place. Also, unlike the CFC you can't really play in the tournament that you are directing. Other than that, CFC has now adopted FIDE official rules as its laws of chess, so there will be no difference in rules.

FA Vlad Rekhson

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
            I have no idea how many FIDE rated players you might have in your area, unless you have at least 8 or 10, you're going to have to build up your base more, first.
            Why is a combination of CFC and FIDE ratings needed for the national team when so few players are FIDE rated?

Doesn't that requirement discriminate against Canadian born players who haven't played many games outside of Canada?

FIDE rated events seem to be the exception rather than the rule in this country.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              Why is a combination of CFC and FIDE ratings needed for the national team when so few players are FIDE rated?

Doesn't that requirement discriminate against Canadian born players who haven't played many games outside of Canada?

FIDE rated events seem to be the exception rather than the rule in this country.
              Now that FIDE extends the ratings scale down to 1200, there's no reason not to slowly start integrating lower rated (CFC) players into FIDE rated sections. Example, start rating U2200 / U2100 / U2000 sections. Even if only a handful of players have FIDE ratings in these sections, it'll slowly bring in more players in the FIDE pool, a couple at a time.
              I know Aris Marghetis in Ottawa was rating the lower sections with FIDE at some point, fighting against all odds. Not sure if he still does. Bryan Lamb in Toronto now is rating the 2nd section with FIDE.

Alex F.

Comment

In any FIDE rated swiss an unrated player must score at least 1 point playing a minimum of 3 already rated FIDE players to have this result "banked" towards their first rating (9 games or more).

A handful isn't enough.

For example: I have 6 games banked from the 2006 Canadian Open. You can go to the FIDE site and actually find me in the rating database, but I don't have a rating yet.....

There aren't enough FIDE rated players in the Maritimes, that any kind of a normal swiss would be rateable.

Comment

Re : Re: FIDE rated tournaments

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                  Now that FIDE extends the ratings scale down to 1200, there's no reason not to slowly start integrating lower rated (CFC) players into FIDE rated sections.
                  Someone has to try to explain to me (and it wont be easy) what is the point of insisting that lower rated players should have a FIDE rating. There is ABSOLUTELY no real advantage in having a FIDE rating for 99% of all players. On the contrary starting with a low FIDE rating is a handicap for a young fast improving player because it is slow going up and he may be stuck with it for a long time. At best it is simply useless unless one consider it usefull to find ways to send more money to FIDE.

Comment

It should be noted that the 9 games have to be played within a two-year period, otherwise the older results expire (sorry).

Comment

Re: Re : Re: FIDE rated tournaments

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                      Someone has to try to explain to me (and it wont be easy) what is the point of insisting that lower rated players should have a FIDE rating. There is ABSOLUTELY no real advantage in having a FIDE rating for 99% of all players. On the contrary starting with a low FIDE rating is a handicap for a young fast improving player because it is slow going up and he may be stuck with it for a long time. At best it is simply useless unless one consider it usefull to find ways to send more money to FIDE.
                      Along the same lines, what about a junior like Cao who may likely get a decent and reasonably high FIDE rating and then return home to find his CFC rating is several hundred points lower? The gap then between FIDE rating and CFC rating could be quite large and as we all know, moving one's CFC rating up is not all that easy either - even if you win sections by lopsided scores... I wonder what a survey of the gaps between CFC and FIDE ratings might reveal?
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: FIDE rated tournaments

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                        Along the same lines, what about a junior like Cao who may likely get a decent and reasonably high FIDE rating and then return home to find his CFC rating is several hundred points lower? The gap then between FIDE rating and CFC rating could be quite large and as we all know, moving one's CFC rating up is not all that easy either - even if you win sections by lopsided scores... I wonder what a survey of the gaps between CFC and FIDE ratings might reveal?
                        FIDE ratings generally suffer in Canada there just isn't enough to play in.
                        Even if you bring a decent initial rating from the WYCC you need to maintain it until your "k factor" reduces; this is easier said then done because so many opponents in Canada have either fairly low FIDE ratings or if they do have strong FIDE ratings are extremely good players out of your league for the moment.

Canada is actually starting to get a large disparity between CFC ratings and FIDE ratings, especially for players who benefitted from the participation plan.
                        Last edited by Duncan Smith; Thursday, 28th October, 2010, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
                          It should be noted that the 9 games have to be played within a two-year period, otherwise the older results expire (sorry).
                          I don't see that in the rating section of the FIDE Handbook. I thought that was an old rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                            Now that FIDE extends the ratings scale down to 1200, there's no reason not to slowly start integrating lower rated (CFC) players into FIDE rated sections. Example, start rating U2200 / U2100 / U2000 sections. Even if only a handful of players have FIDE ratings in these sections, it'll slowly bring in more players in the FIDE pool, a couple at a time.
                            I know Aris Marghetis in Ottawa was rating the lower sections with FIDE at some point, fighting against all odds. Not sure if he still does. Bryan Lamb in Toronto now is rating the 2nd section with FIDE.

Alex F.
                            Yes, I was rating all my sections FIDE at some point, but exactly because I had many small sections, then players in the lower sections had no FIDE-rated opponents with which to hope to build a FIDE rating. So now I FIDE rate my Top & U2200 sections.

After I get back from Greece, I'm going to compile some thoughts and learnings from the WYCC from an Organizer/TD viewpoint, but until then, it seems quite noticeable here that there is, politely, almost no recognition of any national ratings, just FIDE ratings.

Comment

It's hidden away in the section on the rating list:

7.14c The condition of a minimum of 9 games need not be met in one tournament: results from other events, played within rating periods of not more than two years, are pooled to obtain the initial rating.

Comment

Working...
                              X