Chess in the Nation's Capital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess in the Nation's Capital

Last night, John Upper capped an outstanding performance to win the 7-round Ron Rodgers Memorial tournament ahead of a pack of close pursuers.
    Next Thursday, the Jerome Chyurlia Speed Chess Championship will be held at the RA club. Then comes the George Raletich Active Chess Championship, held over two alternate Thursdays.
    The intervening Thursday will see GM Nigel Short present a simul against 30 opponents, followed on the weekend by a pair of lectures. The simul is sold out but there are seats available for the lectures.
    There are also plans to hold a return match against Gatineau and a home-and-away match against Montreal.
    In addition, the National Capital Open will be held at the RA centre on November 12-14.
    A busy season for chess in the Nation's capital.

Re: Chess in the Nation's Capital

Yea for John!! ;)

Gordon didn't mention that he generously donated a book prize from his own chess library for the winner.

Luckily for me I didn't have to play a tie-break against my last-round co-leaders Joey Qin or Mate Marinkovic, so today I have John Watson's Mastering the Chess Openings (Vol.4) on the desk next to me.

The Short and Shirov visits are also due to Gordon's efforts and hosting abilities.

Every chess club I've been to has a few members who generously donate their time to making those clubs good places to be. Luckily for us in Ottawa, Gordon Ritchie lives here.

Comment

I just read John Upper's much too generous comments (above) no doubt written in the first flush of his victory in the Rodgers Memorial.:)
      The reality is, of course, that the success of the RA, or any other chess club, depends crucially upon the work of a core group of volunteers. In our case, the program was largely designed by our vice president, Garland Best. Stijn de Kerpel took responsibility for ensuring a high quality of tournament direction, supported by the likes of Haldor Palssen (who directed the Rogers); while John Upper has spent many hours collecting and annotating games for our website, which is now one of the most content-rich in Canada. Meanwhile, Aris Marghetis, from perch at the EOCA, has organized and in many cases personally directed, an outstanding slate of weekend events in Ottawa and environs.
      This core group, and others, have together worked to raise the interest level at one of Canada's oldest chess clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
        Shirov

Those who can not attend his Q&A session (I think it will a real lecture), an interview with A.Shirov at http://www.crestbook.com/en/node/1353

Samples
        "Q: ... Did you study the work of Paul Morphy at the beginning of your career?

A: I did. I even remember when, in 1984. My chess development stopped for about a year."

anyway, he still advised to study other players :)
        "Q: ... In your opinion, what is the right way for a candidate master or master to work on openings?

A: Usually a chess player on that level is an amateur, and if that is the case, then there probably is not enough time to study openings very deeply. I think that my advice will be standard — as much as possible, to deepen your knowledge, understanding, and perception of chess, first of all in your own repertoire. But it seems to me that many players make a mistake when they continue to study and play something dubious only because they are afraid of trying to learn something new. It seems to me that flexibility, the ability to evaluate one variation or another objectively, are essential for any chess player, whether he is a professional GM or an amateur at the candidate master level. Also, it is not a bad idea to formulate your repertoire by following the games of the leading players — after all, their moves are usually the results of many hours of work. Nevertheless, you should always try to figure out what is going on in other people’s games by yourself."

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          Those who can not attend his Q&A session (I think it will a real lecture), an interview with A.Shirov at http://www.crestbook.com/en/node/1353
          Thanks for the link. I hadn't read that (exceptionally long) interview.

Comment

Working...
          X