ANNEX CHESS CLUB Fall Swiss - Round 2 tonight!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANNEX CHESS CLUB Fall Swiss - Round 2 tonight!

Another scintillating night of chess at the new ACC.
    You are welcome to enter with a half-point bye for Round 1.

Visit our website for more details!
    http://annexchessclub.com/

Please bring your chess clocks!
    Last edited by Hugh Siddeley; Monday, 1st November, 2010, 11:03 AM. Reason: Formatting

Re: ANNEX CHESS CLUB - Memberships

Hi Hugh,

Is there half year memberships for the club? $190 for 1 year is a significant commitment. Comparably Scarborough club has $70 for 6 months and $120 for a full year (altho I think rates are going up next year).

I understand the prime location of the place and also the size, so I might try it out anyways :)

Comment

Re: ANNEX CHESS CLUB Fall Swiss - Memberships

Oh also a couple of more questions.

1) $60 for one 5-round tournament seems like quite a bit, is there prizes for the tournaments?

2) In between every tournament there are 2 weeks of "special event/casual chess". What are these special events? Are they Lectures from masters? Blitz tournament? etc?

Thanks!

p.s. I don't mean to put you on the spot, given the good location of the club, i'm sure there are other people wondering about the same questions :)

Comment

Hi Josh,

I suggested half year memberships but alas others on the ACC committee thought our current structure the best.

OK, $190 is a significant commitment for chess, I agree. For example to play in the Canadian Open the entry fee was around the same and you only got to play for 1 week!

The Chess Institute of Canada (CIC) and the Annex Chess Club (ACC) are not-for-profit ventures. Even with 100 full-time members we'd still put up a loss. So I hope you see the value we're offering at this prime location. Our motives are to promote chess.

Comment

Re: ANNEX CHESS CLUB Fall Swiss - Memberships

1) No. OK, it works out to $12 per night for a 5-round tournament. For my squash league I pay $30 per night to play... McCaul Squash

2) Special events are lectures from masters as you stated, blitz tournaments, Active tournaments, 960 tournaments; we're taking it as it comes and seeing what the general consensus is.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Guo View Post
            Is there half year memberships for the club?
            I've read that they offer a discounted membership version (you pay less - you get less (I think no CFC tournaments)) I can not confirm, as no flyer and a website does not work.
            Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Monday, 1st November, 2010, 09:03 PM.

Comment

ANNEX CHESS CLUB Fall Swiss - entry fees?

Hugh,

Given your exchange with Josh, I am confused.

The website does not mention any entry fees for specific tournaments. Just the annual membership rates of $190 adult. I thought that this full membership included entry to the regular monday night CFC tournaments. However, Josh seems to be saying that there is a $60 entry fee for the current tournament!
              Is that true? :(

Comment

Re: ANNEX CHESS CLUB Fall Swiss - entry fees?

Bob,

Your confusion confuses me.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion but see here: http://annexchessclub.com/membership/

Five-week tournament: $60 (this is the membership fee)
                Full year membership: $190 (membership fee for six tournaments plus lectures plus other events such as blitz tournaments, etc..)

Cheers,
                Hugh

Comment

The website does not work? Are you sure? I've never had any trouble accessing it. Please let me know if this persists. Thanks.

Casual one night drop-in fee: $5 (for unrated, casual chess)
                  Casual full year membership: $60 (for 44 Mondays a year that works out to $1.36 a night...)

Comment

btw, we have resident expert and Olympiad Women's team player Yelizaveta Orlova to challenge casual members.

Comment

Josh,

I'm sorry you couldn't make it out tonight. I talked to the lads and they're cool with having a half year membership. Come check us out next week. Another advantage of our location is the 20 or so bars within walking distance of the place. We are already getting into a routine of going out for beers after the games are done. Ohhh it's nice downing a pint after a night of chess! :D

Cheers,
                      Hugh

Comment

. Even with 100 full-time members we'd still put up a loss.

So the rent is more than 19K/annum???

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Siddeley View Post
                          Bob,

Your confusion confuses me.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion but see here: http://annexchessclub.com/membership/

Five-week tournament: $60 (this is the membership fee)
                          Full year membership: $190 (membership fee for six tournaments plus lectures plus other events such as blitz tournaments, etc..)

Cheers,
                          Hugh
                          I believe you are saying that if you buy the full years membership $190, then you don't pay the $60 Five-week tournament membership fee. Correct? :)

David beat me to my next question. With 100 full memberships, $19,000, the club still loses money? ouch!

That just doesn't sound right!

Comment

Correct, you don't need 2 concurrent memberships (a full year one and a five-week one) to play in a tournament. :)

Comment

You got it! Why hasn't there been a club in downtown Toronto for umpteen years? THE RENT!! x/night is a nicer way of looking at it, the figure per annum just makes my head hurt.

Comment

Working...
                              X