Problems renewing Canada chess membership from www.chess.ca website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems renewing Canada chess membership from www.chess.ca website

I want to renew my Canada chess membership for BC, which has just expired. When I go to the Canada chess website (www.chess.ca) and select my province for renewing membership and then click on 'Add to Cart', I Just get the HTTP 500 Internal Server Error webpage. So I then clicked on the 'Adult Membership - British Columbia' link, which takes me to another page where there is a button to 'Buy Now'. I click that and then enter my details (on the paypal page) and then click on 'Review and continue' and then another page appears with some kind of error message.

Why do these problems exist? It's a rather poor state of affairs (and quite unprofessional) if people cannot buy/renew membership from the official website. It those links to buy or renew membership don't work (permanently or temporarily), then they should be disabled, or at least have some informational message there to let people know why the links might not be working. I guess I will have to email details to someone in order to renew the membership. I don't want to be wasting my time trying to renew my membership when the website is broken, and I'm sure other people would feel the same.

TRY THIS PLEASERe:Problems renewing Canada chess membership from www.chess.ca website

Originally posted by Kirk Gornall View Post
    I want to renew my Canada chess membership for BC, which has just expired. When I go to the Canada chess website (www.chess.ca) and select my province for renewing membership and then click on 'Add to Cart', I Just get the HTTP 500 Internal Server Error webpage. So I then clicked on the 'Adult Membership - British Columbia' link, which takes me to another page where there is a button to 'Buy Now'. I click that and then enter my details (on the paypal page) and then click on 'Review and continue' and then another page appears with some kind of error message.

Why do these problems exist? It's a rather poor state of affairs (and quite unprofessional) if people cannot buy/renew membership from the official website. It those links to buy or renew membership don't work (permanently or temporarily), then they should be disabled, or at least have some informational message there to let people know why the links might not be working. I guess I will have to email details to someone in order to renew the membership. I don't want to be wasting my time trying to renew my membership when the website is broken, and I'm sure other people would feel the same.
    Hi Kirk:

I just read your post and tried it to purchase a membership myself and had no problem.... when I added the membership to cart...
    I got the page http://chess.ca/productm.asp?PD1=1115

Adult Membership - British Columbia

Members Price: $36.00 Catalogue Number: 1115
    A person can become an adult member if they are over the age of 18. Adult members electronically receive Canadian Chess News each month, can play in CFC rated events and receive member’s prices on books and equipment as long as their membership is valid.

NOTE: Schools receive Members' Price. All prices are in Canadian dollars. To get the US Dollar conversion rate click here.

HINT: Dump your temporary internet files and click refresh on the link for BC Memberships. Good luck and please, write me personally if you can get this to function. Thanks.

Mark S. Dutton, I.A.
    CFC Vice President :)
    markdutton@shaw.ca

Comment

Re: Problems renewing Canada chess membership from www.chess.ca website

Join the Inner Galactic Chess Federation. It costs nothing, you get nothing. I'll keep a membership list in case I get enough members to do anything with the federation.

Posting your email address is optional. I "might" (weasel word alert) get around to doing a chess news magazine one day. We could have more members than the CFC and the price is right.

Gary Ruben IAC IMC SIMC (C=Cor.)
      President: Inner Galactic Chess Federation
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: TRY THIS PLEASERe:Problems renewing Canada chess membership from www.chess.ca web

After clicking on 'Add to Cart', it tries to open the URL http://chess.ca/add.asp...

Internet Explorer 8:

The website cannot display the page
        HTTP 500
        Most likely causes:
        •The website is under maintenance.
        •The website has a programming error.

What you can try:
        Refresh the page.

Go back to the previous page.

More information

Mozilla Firefox:
        Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot update. Database or object is read-only.

/add.asp, line 27
        Last edited by Kirk Gornall; Tuesday, 2nd November, 2010, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Re: TRY THIS PLEASERe:Problems renewing Canada chess membership from www.chess.ca web

I managed to put the order through successfully by clicking on the 'Buy now' button and being redirected to the paypal site. It's the 'Add to cart' buttons that try to open the internal link http://chess.ca/add.asp that aren't working.

Comment

Working...
          X