• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Governors Are Fast

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Our Motto: " Governors are fast.........but not loose !! "

Bob
    Maybe it should be "fast and cheap". 18 K sounds like a lot of a web site.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: The Gillanders' CFC Administration

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
      Certainly there will be a new database and a new interface created as part of this.

I have hated the criteria for "Top Canadian" lists since they started showing this years ago.

Certainly players who have not played in X years should not appear (X ~= 1.5).

I think it would be be reasonable to have a list that includes expired members that meet the activity criteria.

Any changes to the actual rating formula program are not part of the RFP.
      The way I read the RFP, the database is not included. If it is intended to be included, the RFP is inadequate as there is no specification of what it is nor is the database part of the website code. Nor can you ascribe the issues in accessing the cfc rating site to the rating database code - it is not part of the website. In addition, as a governor, you should ask for how the cost splits between the two and why is rewriting the database necessary. They are completely SEPARATE projects.

One of the biggest issues between parties on projects like this is different expectations about what is being done because of missing or incomplete specifications. Leads to general unhappiness when the final result is delivered.
      Last edited by Roger Patterson; Monday, 8th November, 2010, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Re: Governors Are Fast

Correction to my previous posting:

Well done governors.

Gillanders, why were you dragging your behind for 5 weeks? A tongue lashing is in order next time I have a chess party in Oshawa...

Comment

Originally posted by Nic Haynes View Post
          Personally, I certainly couldn't do this. However, I don't think you can use chess ratings as an excuse as to why the website is so hard to do properly.

...etc
          I mentioned ratings only as an example of the details that have to be addressed. Obviously there are a number of things the website needs to provide. It seems that the main uses of the website would be ratings/upcoming tournament announcements, news, CFC business etc.

I have read the RFP and I was concerned that it was lacking detail - that may mean that the first go-around with the winning bidder will result in something that comes close, but may not be "finished".

It is equally obvious there are a number of solutions out there for handling ratings and historical data, but it is also obvious that the proper solutions are different from the tools in use now - hence the need to 'import' the historical data etc into the new framework. It is not a trivial task to do it correctly.

Ongoing maintenance of the website (including adding news items, tournament notices etc) is a concern too; the RFP covered that to some extent, but the reality is that the CFC office function (which includes maintaining the information on the website) is very much a part time operation at this time.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I know why Gillanders took 5 weeks to get the governors to vote on the RFP; it is all clear now.

His rating has gone up to 1897; so he is playing too much chess and not doing enough presidential work! If his rating continues to go up; we must really look into impeaching him, or the CFC will be in trouble...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
              I know why Gillanders took 5 weeks to get the governors to vote on the RFP; it is all clear now.

His rating has gone up to 1897; so he is playing too much chess and not doing enough presidential work! If his rating continues to go up; we must really look into impeaching him, or the CFC will be in trouble...
              :D:D Check my rating this wednesday, back down again! :(

We took the time to give a proper assessment of the bids received. Leading the evaluation process were Fred McKim (CFC Treasurer) and Patrick Smale (EKG). In addition, several other computer savvy members were involved, as well as a few other key governors. We wanted to do it right! :)

The governors are now being asked to authorize the expenditure and give us the green light to proceed. While some governors are experiencing sticker shock at the price tag, we are confident that we are getting good value for our money.

The new website is a critical investment. We should not be afraid to invest in our future. We have gone a little "high end" in order to not only provide the basic services, but to attract new members as well.

Let's do it right! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                :D:D Check my rating this wednesday, back down again! :(

We took the time to give a proper assessment of the bids received. Leading the evaluation process were Fred McKim (CFC Treasurer) and Patrick Smale (EKG). In addition, several other computer savvy members were involved, as well as a few other key governors. We wanted to do it right! :)

The governors are now being asked to authorize the expenditure and give us the green light to proceed. While some governors are experiencing sticker shock at the price tag, we are confident that we are getting good value for our money.

The new website is a critical investment. We should not be afraid to invest in our future. We have gone a little "high end" in order to not only provide the basic services, but to attract new members as well.

Let's do it right! :)
                Hi Bob,

I know from personal experience that this is a slippery slope...I will be paying attention...good luck!

Larry

Comment

Working...
                X