Hamilton blitz tourney, Nov 12 2010 @ 8p.m.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamilton blitz tourney, Nov 12 2010 @ 8p.m.

WHEN: Friday, November 12th 2010 at 8pm sharp! Registration starts @ 7p.m.

WHERE: 100 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON.
    Board of Education Building, free parking at the back of the building. Entrance through the service ramp doors in the back and at end of hall turn right.

ENTRY FEE: Two dollars for Hamilton City Chess Club members. Additional day membership for non HCCC members

PRIZES: Based on Entries

TIME CONTROL: 5min, double round (two games per opponent, one game white, one game black)

Try your blitz skills if you dare

Re: Hamilton blitz tourney, Nov 12 2010 @ 8p.m.

Wow, I can't wait to play.

Comment

I agree with you Garvin. This will be a very strong blitz tourney! :)

Just look at the line-up:
      FM Doug Bailey (who finishes at top or in top 3 of Vlad's blitz tournaments,
      and they are very strong)
      Dave Begory (very strong expert and strong blitz player)
      Gordong Gooding (current Hamilton City Club Champion and extremely
      strong blitz player)
      Razven Preotu (one of top U12 juniors in Canada! :D)
      Bob Gillanders (our Current CFC President)

Good luck to participants. This event is open to everyone. Players out of town welcome to join us!

Comment

I am looking to see strong competition there tonight. Get your game on tonight!

Comment

Let see, if our youth will stand up to the challenge. GO RAZVEN GO!!!

Comment

Yes I wonder how little Preotu will do at this blitz tournament, I wish him luck.
            University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
              Yes I wonder how little Preotu will do at this blitz tournament, I wish him luck.
              Little Preotu :) He's big on the chess board though ;)

Comment

Thanks to all who participated in the Hamilton Blitz tourney on Nov 12. It was in my opinion a success. Thanks for the help from Mikhail Egorov,Garvin Nunes and Rene Preotu. There were twenty two participants, some coming from as far as Niagara Falls to shoot it out on the board. At the end of the fury, first place was jointly taken by Mikhail Egorov and Dave Begorday and third place was taken by yours truly :D. There was strong competition in a light hearted atmosphere. A very pleasant tourney indeed. We might do this in Feb next year. See you then ;)

Gordon Gooding

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Gooding View Post
                  first place was jointly taken by Mikhail Egorov and Dave Begorday
                  just a guess, but was it Dave Begoray who tied for first?

Comment

Hi John,

Yes, Dave Begoray and myself tied for first. :)

Tournament Update:

Talented Juniro Razve Proetu proved proved himself big on the chess board. First he received a top junior in Hamilton City Club Championship for his outstanding performance. He also tied for 2nd and was ahead FM Doug Bailey by half a point. His only loss in the whole tournament was to 2010 Hamilton City Club Champion – Gordon Gooding.

In Hamilton City Blitz Championship he proved himself once again. He started with 2 out of 2 and stayed on top board for 3 rounds. Against co-winners of the tournament he scored 1.5 out of 2 (draw against myslelf and win against Expert Dave Begoray). His win against Expert Alex Friedman was very impressive. hey arrived to the following position (please see diagram below), where Alex was white and Razven was black. Alex had 1 min. 40 sec. left on his clock and Razven 45 seconds. Razven just played Nb3. With only 45 seconds left, talented junior manages to convert it into winning king and pawn endgame and take full point home.

Game Continued:
                    1. Rxc4 Nxd2 2. Rc8+ Bf8 3.Bh6 Nxf3+ 4.gxf3 f6 5.exf6 Qxf6 6. Rxf8+ Qxf8 7. Bxf8 Kxf8 8. Kf1 Kf7 9. Ke2 Kf6 10. Ke3 Kf5 11. Ke2 Kf4 12. Ke1 Kxf3 13. Kf1 Kd4 Alex threw in the towel. :)

Time remaining:
                    Alex: 35 seconds left
                    Razven: 40 seconds left. :D

Have a great day everyone!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Seems my spelling aint so great, hmm.. ;) Sorry Dave,its Dave Begoray
                      Last edited by Gordon Gooding; Monday, 15th November, 2010, 12:25 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                      X