• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. GM Larry Evans

As seen on Susan Polgar's Blog:

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2010...y-m-evans.html
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: R.I.P. GM Larry Evans

He did very good columns in Chess Life,also some good books,names escape now,but in my Library.

Comment

I loved "New in Chess", it's one of his classics.

I think it helped me, back in the day, for a very quick rise to 1700 strength from 1400 strength.

Comment

GM Larry Evans (1932-2010) was twice Canadian Open champion

I am saddened to hear of the death, earlier this week, of GM Larry Evans.

GM Evans was one of the greatest all-rounders in chess history. As a player, he won five U.S. Chess Championships, represented the U.S. with distinction in Olympiad play on many occasions, played in one Interzonal (Amsterdam 1964), and won two Canadian Open Championships (the very first one: Montreal 1956, and ten years later: Kingston 1966), among other international triumphs. As a writer and journalist, he authored many popular books which helped average players understand chess and enjoy it more; he was also a regular columnist in "Chess Life" magazine for decades. I always enjoyed his writing and usually learned something each time I read him. As a mentor and friend, Evans was highly instrumental in assisting GM Bobby Fischer's quest to the World Chess Championship in 1972, and helped Fischer significantly with his classic book "My 60 Memorable Games", which many people think is the best book in the history of chess. Evans was inducted into the U.S. Chess Hall of Fame. :) :)

RIP, Grandmaster Evans. Enjoy your chess in heaven with the greats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
          I loved "New in Chess", it's one of his classics.

I think it helped me, back in the day, for a very quick rise to 1700 strength from 1400 strength.
          Actually, it's called "New Ideas in Chess". I agree it was a great introduction to notions of strategy and positional play; especially given that it first came out in 1958.

Comment

Working...
          X