Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Governors Becoming More Active

Governor CFC Boards Attendance Rising

I note that on Monday, Nov. 15, 40 % of the governors ( 24/60 ) attended one or both of the CFC Discussion Forums ( the confidential Governors' Discussion Board and/or the members' CFC Chess Chat Forum - the stats for the two boards are combined).

This record attendance for one day is a continuance of the increasing CFC governor activity seen since the new governors came in:

1. In September and October, the attendance was generally around 25% ( 15/60 governors ) daily;
    2. On Oct. 25 & Nov. 3, the attendance was around 33 1/3 % ( 20/60 governors );
    2. On Nov. 10, the attendance was 37 % ( 22/60 governors ).

The CFC governors are to be congratuated for increasing participation in this particular aspect of CFC governance. The governors are making more of an effort to " keep up " with the views of other governors and members, to debate with them, and to be available to other governors/members for input/response.

Combined with the record governor attendance at the recent October Fall Quarterly Governors' On-line Meeting, and with the good track record of the Gillanders' administration in the first one-third of their mandate, it seems the CFC has returned to good health again - we can have reasonable expectations for the future.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 16th November, 2010, 02:50 PM.

Re: CFC Governors Becoming More Active

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Governor CFC Boards Attendance Rising

.... it seems the CFC has returned to good health again - we can have reasonable expectations for the future.

Bob
    good health?, well...I wouldn't go that far! :(

We still have a lot of work to do and a mountain of issues to deal with, but we are making progress. :)

let's not be so quick to announce "mission accomplished" :( and raise expectations

I'm sure chesstalkers will now list what isn't done yet! :D

Comment

Contributors to the CFC Return to Health

I would like to add that I think there are two unsung heroes in this return of the CFC to good health:

1. The Grassroots' Campaign Group of ordinary CFC members - in 2007 ( I think ) they came out with a radical platform for CFC reform, given its deep malaise, and brought it to the 2008 AGM for vote - they forced the debate and helped frame it;

2. CFC 2008-9 President, David Lavin - he shepherded the governors to implement much of the Grassroots' Platform, and radically reformed the CFC financial situation ( unfortunately he could not avoid a transition year deficit in his own year of presidency - but he must get full credit, along with 2009-10 CFC President, Eric Van Dusen, for the surplus of 2009-10 ).

Bob
      Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 16th November, 2010, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

Would you concede a pulse?
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

We still have a lot of work to do and a mountain of issues to deal with, but we are making progress. :)

let's not be so quick to announce "mission accomplished" :( and raise expectations

I'm sure chesstalkers will now list what isn't done yet! :D
          So is it too early for the mission accomplished picture?

University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Hi Adam!

Yes, it is too early for the mission accomplished! You only seen SWOCL dollars! Once you receive your first CFC dollars, then it will be time for
            the mission accomplished picture! :p

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
              Hi Adam!

Yes, it is too early for the mission accomplished! You only seen SWOCL dollars! Once you receive your first CFC dollars, then it will be time for
              the mission accomplished picture! :p
              So Bob Gillanders will control two alternate sources of money? Both SWOCL and CFC bucks, such power in the hands of only one man!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
                So Bob Gillanders will control two alternate sources of money? Both SWOCL and CFC bucks, such power in the hands of only one man!
                I understand your concern with one hand in two pots. Maybe Bob might want someone to take over the SWOCL. Why not ask him? Make sure you are serious about it. He might say yes. Don't waste his time if you are not, as I am pretty sure he is busy running these organizations(in the right direction I might add) in addition to the numerous volunteer positions he has in other chess clubs in the Golden Horseshoe area over the many years with gratitude :). Any volunteers, anyone, anyone? Considering the previous condition of the CFC and the current progress, I'd say so far so good. If you want to help the CFC, go right ahead. Two little bits of wisdom: (1) Actions speak louder than words. (2) Time will tell.

Comment

Adam
                  Bob Gillanders controls no monies. I think the treasurers do that.

If you think you'd like the job of SWOCL PRES it can be arranged at the next SWOCL change of officers but I warn you it is a thankless job and hey you gotta
                  be prepared for complaints. Are you up to the challenge????
                  You can't just send your quotes to the complainers.
                  \They will wash you out with a sneeze.

Comment

John Brown and Gordon Gooding

my post was about an inside joke, where instead of getting my 100 dollars for winning SWOCL Gran Prix for my section, I was given SWOCL bucks(i have received the actual money now). I'm not sure if Bob still has a picture of the SWOCL bucks I was given.

This website really needs to add a sarcasm font.
                    Last edited by Adam Cormier; Friday, 19th November, 2010, 09:58 AM. Reason: additional point

Comment

Continuing CFC Governor Activity and Effectiveness

Very Active 2011 CYCC Bid Debate

The CFC Governors are having a very active debate on the confidential CFC Governors' Discussion Board, on the 2 competing 2011 CYCC bids, prior to voting starting this Friday, Nov. 19.

Since the President, Bob Gillanders, started the debate on November 11 with his original post, there have now been 98 reply posts. And there have been 1,173 views of the thread ( as of Nov. 17 ). Numerous of the 60 governors have visited the Board, and many have posted.

Also, to enhance the quality of debate, the governors are sending the two bid teams the confidential posts, and are accepting from the bidders posts related to the bids, and posting them on the board. The governors have gone out of their way to include the bidders in the debate.

It's one of those times where members can see ( in a metaphysical sense ! ) what their governors do with their time !

Bob

Comment

Working...
                      X