CFC Pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Pin

On eBay, this item is on offer. How long ago was the CFC manufacturing pins? Were they for a special occasion, or part of our general merchandising?

Re: CFC Pin

I have an identical pin in green. It was given to me when I passed the certified TD exam... must be 25 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
      How long ago was the CFC manufacturing pins? Were they for a special occasion, or part of our general merchandising?
      As I recall, they were to help raise money for the Olympiiad but it's been a long time so I could be wrong on this point.

The were two types of pins. The regular ones, which cost less, and gold pins. I bought one of the gold pins which I still have. The back is stamped "Birks" and "GF" directly below. I have no idea what the "GF" indicates.

Probably it would have been around 1970.

The seller is listed in this area but is not me, for those who are wondering. My pin is mint condition but is not for sale.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

On eBay, this item is on offer. How long ago was the CFC manufacturing pins? Were they for a special occasion, or part of our general merchandising?
        German chessplayers, from Waterloo to Paris (ON) are keen to kibitz 'pin and win', but with a v sound -- le vin. Understanding such rudiments might guide an elite commentator as urself.

Comment

How long ago was the CFC manufacturing pins? Were they for a special occasion, or part of our general merchandising?
          By the way, the pin differs from the one I have. Mine does not contain the French. I don't know if the gold pins did not contain the French or if that pin was made at a later date. I do recall some of us at the Scarborough club ordered them from the CFC.

I hope all this is of information to you.

Funding the Olympic team or teams was a problem back then as well. I remember one year someone brought in a couple of large boxes of donated chess items for sale. I bought a pocket chess set. It was expensive but I've used it ever since. It has a small plate on it which says "Sports and games. Hamleys. London." All the hinges and so forth are original. Quite the set and I've never seen one like iit before or since.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

An advertisement in Bulletin#6 (1974 Sept-Oct) wrote:
            "
            CFC PINS
            HANDSOME GOLD PINS BEARING THE CFC CREST ARE AVAILABLE FROM ENDEL TOOMING, O.C.A. PRESIDENT, FOR YOUR PIN, PLEASE SEND A CHEQUE OR MONEY ORDER FOR $3.50 TO ENDEL AT:
            537 RIDGEWOOD CR.,
            LONDON, ONTARIO
            N6J 3J1
            "

(I'll look over other issues to find a photo or more details if any exist)
            Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Sunday, 21st November, 2010, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              An advertisement in Bulletin#6 (1974 Sept-Oct) wrote:
              "
              CFC PINS
              HANDSOME GOLD PINS BEARING THE CFC CREST ARE AVAILABLE FROM ENDEL TOOMNG, O.C.A. PRESIDENT, FOR YOUR PIN, PLEASE SEND A CHEQUE OR MONEY ORDER FOR $3.50 TO ENDEL AT:
              537 RIDGEWOOD CR.,
              LONDON, ONTARIO
              N6J 3J1
              "

(I'll look over other issues to find a photo or more details if any exist)
              I remember Endel. I was the OCA secretary in the 1973-74 season. We went to the CFC meeting in Kingston together.

Speaking reasonably, how much gold do you think you could buy for $3.50 in 1974? In 1974 the price of gold averaged arouind $150.00 a troy oz.

If it was gold you could sell it by weight for more than $3.50.

Anyhow, possibly Phil Haley would recall. He was the CFC president from 1971 to 1973.

I seem to recall the CFC magazine started in 1973, after it was approved in Kingston, so the original pins would not likely have been advertised. However, Les Bunning or Jonathan Berry might recall the details.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Endel Tooming was also President of the London German-Canadian CC. I played there from 1965 - 9 while at University. Not sure if he was President all those years.

Bob

Comment

Endel Tooming

Former Ontario Chess Association President Endel Tooming just died at age 95. His obituary is in today's (2016.12.21) Toronto Star. He was Estonian, living in London, Ontario. He was on the OCA Executive when I joined it in 1981; I think he was the Treasurer before me.

Comment

Re: Endel Tooming

Originally posted by David Cohen View Post
                    Former Ontario Chess Association President Endel Tooming just died at age 95. His obituary is in today's (2016.12.21) Toronto Star. He was Estonian, living in London, Ontario. He was on the OCA Executive when I joined it in 1981; I think he was the Treasurer before me.
                    A very nice guy. He was President of the London German-Canadian Chess Club when I was a member there in 1965 and following.

Bob A

Comment

Awesome thread, I have a small collection of chess pins.

Here's one from the CFC and one from the FQE!

http://www.societyofchessaficionados...C_FQE_pins.jpg

:)

Comment

Working...
                      X