Post card virus warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post card virus warning

I just received this warning from a friend. The virus is titled "Postcard" or similar, and will likely appear to have come from a friend. Beware!

It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

Re: Post card virus warning

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
    I just received this warning from a friend. The virus is titled "Postcard" or similar, and will likely appear to have come from a friend. Beware!

It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.
    That has hoax written all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Sullivan View Post
      That has hoax written all over it.
      Go to www.snopes.com and search for "postcard"

There are other internet sites like snopes.com
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        Go to www.snopes.com and search for "postcard"

There are other internet sites like snopes.com
        Does it come in email?
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          Does it come in email?
          Does what come in email?

Hal's message was a warning about an email that claims you have a "postcard" from a friend... there is supposedly an attachment (sometimes called postcard.exe) that, if executed, can cause a virus or other malware to be put on your computer...

this is the warning; many of these are hoaxes, BUT the implied advice is good:

NEVER run attachments that arrive via email. Even simply opening what appears to be an innocuous attachment can also result in problems (especially since Windows is often configured to hide file name extensions and other tell-tale information that might alert you to the real nature of an attachment). Attached files that LOOK like simple pictures might be executable programs masquerading as innocent file types. In particular, Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) files or Excel Spreadsheet files (.xls) or even PDF files (.pdf) may contain executable code that can damage your system.

Most of the email warnings (similar to Hal's) are the result of well-meaning people passing on what are essentially the hoax-du-jour

Warnings are never bad I suppose, except until they reach the point of saturation after which people just ignore every bit of advice they get....
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Thanks, Kerry. I'll keep that in mind for attachments.

I use something called MailWasher Pro by Firetrust. It lists what on the server waiting to be processed to my outlook express.

For each entry I can process it to my inbox, simply delete it on the server or bounce and delete the email. If also shows emails which have a virus. I guess my virus checker must pick it up. Those I can simply delete or bounce and delete. Guess which one I do. :-)

Sometime it won't bounce if the return address has a problem and simply deletes the email.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I use something called MailWasher Pro by Firetrust. It lists what on the server waiting to be processed to my outlook express.
              I did the same. Now I go straight to the server and delete all marked as spam after a short eye-scan. Once a while I download all good mails on my pc.

Comment

I use something called MailWasher Pro by Firetrust.
                Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, a free download, is one of the best for getting rid of viruses or other malware.

This looks like the "Hallmark postcard from a friend" though:

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp

It is partly real and partly hoax, but has been around for awhile.
                Last edited by Ed Zator; Thursday, 9th December, 2010, 04:04 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                X