Great Praise for "Winning Chess Puzzles For Kids V 2"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Praise for "Winning Chess Puzzles For Kids V 2"

The Chess'n Math Association has had a great relationship with National Master Jeff Coakley for decades.

He has been the editor of "Scholar's Mate", Canada's National Scholastic Chess Magazine, for well over a decade. It is now available on-line for FREE at www.chess-math.org. It comes out 5 times a year.

We have also published 4 of his books for youngsters...all of which are incredibly popular.

His latest book is "Winning Chess Puzzles for Kids V 2"

This was a review which appeared on Amazon.com:

"5.0 out of 5 stars Coakley is by far the best writer of instructional material for children and chess teachers, September 2, 2010
    By Elizabeth Zoe Vicary (NYC) - See all my reviews
    (REAL NAME) This review is from: Winning Chess Puzzles For Kids Volume 2 (Paperback)
    I wrote this review as a blog post, which can be read with the diagrams here: [...]

Winning Chess Puzzles for Kids volume 2
    I just got Jeff Coakley's newest book, Winning Chess Puzzles for Kids vol 2 (aka "the orange book" -- compare to the green book, the blue book, and the red book). I've written before about how much I love Coakley's work here and here, and with time my feelings have only deepened.

I was having a conversation with someone many years ago about the pricing of the New York Times Sunday paper, and my friend was saying it was so thick and brought him so much reading pleasure, that he would spend $10-15 dollars on it, if that's what it cost. Coakley's green book, I would probably pay $500 for it, if I had to. I don't have to, of course, but it's saved my life so many times as a chess teacher, it's really a gold mine.

The orange book is a sequel to the red book, with tactics sheets and checkmate problems mixed in with some more unusual types of puzzles. I don't want to repeat myself, so I refer you to my earlier blog post for some preliminary thoughts on some of Jeff's original problems, and why I find them so instructive.

A couple general observations:

*Jeff is quite a strong player, 2210 FIDE, and an experienced coach, so the chess in his books is generally both correct and relevant. (Lots of books have beautiful examples of things that never happen in kids' games.) This latest is a little more whimsical, but even the more fantastical problems tend to have some instructional value.
    *The material gets slowly harder, so you can trust that the problems on the first few mate in 1 sheets are very do-able for the whole class, but that the later ones are tricky. Authors don't always take the time to order problems correctly, and that's frustrating when you give a homework without looking at it closely and only realize that night that half the problems are insanely hard.
    *Positions are frequently grouped on the worksheets by similarity, which saves you precious setting-up time at the demo board. Some of the tactics problems ask a student to find 4 or 5 forks, which is obviously uber-efficient.

Two new things I love:

*This new book has 20 "checkology" sheets: nine problems, of which the first three are mate in 1, the next there mate in 2 and the last 3 mate in three. These are very useful for classroom teaching because kids are rarely all at the same ability level, and these are homeworks you can give to a large group: where everyone can do something and everyone gets a challenge.

*Lily's Puzzlers are fun, hands-on enrichment activities that students can do in a class period with a partner and a chess set:
    1.(pg 9): Hi BOYS AND GIRLS!!
    Here's a rook puzzle to keep you busy. Don't forget, a piece does not attack the square that it stands on, which means a second rook will have to attack any occupied squares. Good luck! Place 8 rooks on the board so that...

A. every square is attacked except the four in the center (d4, d5, e4, e5)
    B. every square is attacked except the four corners (a1, a8, h1, h8)
    C. every square is attacked except c3, c6, f3, f6.
    D. the fewest squares are attacked.
    2.(p159):
    Here is another Sam Loyd puzzle. It's a real stumper.

Cut the board into four identical parts so that each part has one knight on it. (The kings should not be there. I had to add them in order to make the diagram in chessbase--EV) You don't need scissors. Just draw lines on the board to show the "cuts." The board must be split into four parts that are all exactly the same size and shape. Plus, there has to be exactly one knight on each of the 4 parts. Good luck!

3. (p. 131)
    Did you ever notice how chess pieces sometimes get in each other's way? In this puzzler, the eight bishops have just eleven moves to get from A to B. Twelve moves is easy. but I think you will find 11 a real challenge.

Starting in the position above, make 11 moves (6 white 5 black) to reach the position below.

I will just repeat myself slightly to remind you of the two types of puzzles I love the most: double whammys, which teach the exact thinking method of checkmate planning: "I go there, and then I go there, and that's checkmate!", and switcheroos, which maybe aren't so instructive but are very amusing. Because I mention them in the earlier post, I give you two new ones that are more difficult than what I would use in the classroom.

double whammy: White makes two moves in a row to checkmate black. The first move may not be check. Either move may be a capture. Black does not get a turn.

switcheroo: Switch two pieces so that the black king stands in checkmate. Any two pieces can trade places. Colors do not matter. the resulting positon must be legal. No fair putting pawns on the first or last rank or placing both kings in check.

The book also has word searches (silly, I know, but kids love them), 17 pre-made tactics mini-lessons (aka Combo Mombo), math puzzles, helpmates, triple loyds, retrograde puzzles, mazes, puzzles where you move pieces to create mates, place pieces to create mates, maximize square control, and checkmate problems that work from all four 90 degree degree rotations of the chess board.

It's really a treasure trove of instruction and fun. If you are a chess teacher or the parent of a kid rated between 100 and 1600, you are insane not to buy it."

This book as well as the other books by Jeff Coakley (published by the Chess'n math Association) is available at www.strategygames.ca

Search for the Word "Winning" and you will find all his books. We have deals if you buy more than 1 of his books. These special prices will come to an end on Dec. 31, 2010.

Re: Great Praise for "Winning Chess Puzzles For Kids V 2"

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    I wrote this review as a blog post, which can be read with the diagrams here: [...]

That blog [...] is at http://lizzyknowsall.blogspot.com/20...-volume-2.html

Comment

;effs books are so good that for years I have recommended them to my students with a money back guarantee if not satisfied.I have never had any returns.

Comment

Coakley's stuff gets more praise!

Originally posted by John Henry View Post
        ;effs books are so good that for years I have recommended them to my students with a money back guarantee if not satisfied.I have never had any returns.

On Saturday, March 12, 2011, Elizabeth Vicary wrote on her blog:

"Jeff Coakley is World Champion at writing instructional chess books/material for children"

and she gives a link to the Chess'n Math Association (CMA) site where our FREE kids magazine, written and produced by Jeff Coakley for the CMA, appears 5 times a year.

http://www.chess-math.org/scholarsmate/

Comment

Re: Graphics and a hint...

-The Coakley books I have seen also feature great kid friendly graphics which makes the books fun to read.
          -It's time for another type of book, more serious perhaps on the graduates of the CMA system(GMs Charboneau, Lesiege, IM Lawson (maybe I can't remember) etc ...anecdotes, best games short bios...etc. Maybe something on CMA teachers past and present. That's my big hint for another CMA book

Comment

Re: Graphics and a hint...

Originally posted by Michael Yip View Post
            -The Coakley books I have seen also feature great kid friendly graphics which makes the books fun to read.
            -It's time for another type of book, more serious perhaps on the graduates of the CMA system(GMs Charboneau, Lesiege, IM Lawson (maybe I can't remember) etc ...anecdotes, best games short bios...etc. Maybe something on CMA teachers past and present. That's my big hint for another CMA book
            Hi Michael,

That would have been a great 25th Anniversary project :).

Of course such a book would probably not sell very well but it would be a great thing to have.

Your two books, of which the Chess'n Math Association is the distributor,

"Checkmate University Book 1"

and

"Checkmate University Book 2"

occupy a great niche that is under exploited. Based on comments I have received over the years, I think a little tweaking in terms of presentation would dramatically increase sales....but first we have to finish selling the first edition :)

Larry

Comment

I think Jeff Coakley's great work needs to expand to the publis sphere.

The free daily newspaper Metro, available in several cities across Canada, has recently stated a free afternoon paper called Metro Play which has Crosswords, Sudoku, Kakuro, word search, quiz, and comics. Two levels of crossword and sudoku are given, easy and hard.

So why don't they have an easy chess problem such as Jeff Coakley's mate-in-ones. The Saturday's papers problems are too difficult for casual players. This is the place for easier problems for the casual players.

Ask for chess at www.metroplay.ca. Tell them about the 1,000 of kids studying chess in school. Ask for Coakley's problems.

Comment

Working...
              X