List of Players in the Next Candidate Matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of Players in the Next Candidate Matches

1. Veselin Topalov (Bulgaria, runner up of the previous World Championship)

2. Vladimir Kramnik (Russia, qualified by rating)

3. Levon Aronian (Armenia, winner of the FIDE Grand-Prix 2008-2009)

4. Boris Gelfand (Israel, winner of the FIDE World Cup 2009)

5. Shakhriyar Mamedyarov (Azerbaijan, wild card)

6. Alexander Grischuk (Russia, qualification from the FIDE Grand-Prix)

7. Teimour Radjabov (Azerbaijan, qualification from the FIDE Grand-Prix)

8. Gata Kamsky (USA, runner up of the Challengers Match 2009).

I have no idea who will be playing who, but I presume the winner gets a match against Anand. The main absence is obviously Magnus Carlsen (not pleased with the system), and other top 10 players (using live ratings) missing are Karjakin, Ivanchuk and Nakamura. It's interesting to note that the youngest of these players is Radjabov. Young guns like Carlsen, Karjakin, Nepomniachtchi, Gashimov are not here.

I think the top 3 players listed above are the favorites, but these are all good players and likely all of the matches will be close. If I had to pick one player who I think will win (and I want him to win too), I would have to go with Aronian. Obviously Kramnik is very tough in matches too. Hopefully it will be good chess.

Re: List of Players in the Next Candidate Matches

The pairings are simply 1 vs 8 and 4 vs 5 in one half and 2 vs 7 and 3 vs 6 in the other half.

With short matches you never know what's going to happen, but I think handicappers would certainly take the top 3 over the bottom 5 for betting purposes.

Comment

I would also vote for Aronian as 'like to win".

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
        The pairings are simply 1 vs 8 and 4 vs 5 in one half and 2 vs 7 and 3 vs 6 in the other half.

With short matches you never know what's going to happen, but I think handicappers would certainly take the top 3 over the bottom 5 for betting purposes.
        As per the above numbers, or by rating?

Comment

Originally posted by Nic Haynes View Post
          1. Veselin Topalov (Bulgaria, runner up of the previous World Championship)

2. Vladimir Kramnik (Russia, qualified by rating)

3. Levon Aronian (Armenia, winner of the FIDE Grand-Prix 2008-2009)

4. Boris Gelfand (Israel, winner of the FIDE World Cup 2009)

5. Shakhriyar Mamedyarov (Azerbaijan, wild card)

6. Alexander Grischuk (Russia, qualification from the FIDE Grand-Prix)

7. Teimour Radjabov (Azerbaijan, qualification from the FIDE Grand-Prix)

8. Gata Kamsky (USA, runner up of the Challengers Match 2009).

I have no idea who will be playing who, but I presume the winner gets a match against Anand. The main absence is obviously Magnus Carlsen (not pleased with the system), and other top 10 players (using live ratings) missing are Karjakin, Ivanchuk and Nakamura. It's interesting to note that the youngest of these players is Radjabov. Young guns like Carlsen, Karjakin, Nepomniachtchi, Gashimov are not here.

I think the top 3 players listed above are the favorites, but these are all good players and likely all of the matches will be close. If I had to pick one player who I think will win (and I want him to win too), I would have to go with Aronian. Obviously Kramnik is very tough in matches too. Hopefully it will be good chess.
          I think that any of those guys is capable of winning at least one match but as for the favourites I will agree that the top 3 are probably quite a bit ahead of the pack. I would possibly add Grischuk as the wild card since I think that he is capable of surprising and going all the way.

Comment

Candidate Matches Pairings

Pairings

Topalov - Kamsky
            Kramnik - Radjabov
            Aronian - Grischuk
            Gelfand - Mamedyarov

Who are your picks for the first round winners? Mine are:

Topalov
            Kramnik
            Aronian
            Gelfand

Bob

Comment

The matches will be interesting but I agree with your picks Bob. Eventually I like Aronian as the WC challenger. Gelfand's staying power has been impressive - he is the oldest of the bunch. I still remember when he and Ivanchuk emerged from the cycle following Kevin's good run against the previous pair Sokolov and Yusopov.

Comment

Re: Candidate Matches Pairings

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                Pairings

Topalov - Kamsky
                Kramnik - Radjabov
                Aronian - Grischuk
                Gelfand - Mamedyarov

Who are your picks for the first round winners? Mine are:

Topalov
                Kramnik
                Aronian