Might you consider buying books about...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Might you consider buying books about...

Hi Neil

A certain lack of cash means that, regretably, purchasing many of the chess books that I would like to have has been a low priority for me for a long time now. However I did once see a copy of your book here in Ottawa at Strategy Games. It definitely has appeal from a Canadiana collector's point of view, and could definitely be of interest to at least untitled players as well.

The style of your prose, even in chess talk posts, has always impressed me. English used to be a subject that was one of my strong points, but I have allowed myself to put down my pen/mouse for many years until relatively recently. My posts on chess message boards, even when not made in haste, always seem to have a certain roughness in comparison, in hindsight. Even my best writing takes a lot of polishing, usually, before it might approach something like yours. Might your work involve some sort of writing?
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
      Neil
      I tried ordering your book through Amazon.com and was faced with the message that they will not ship it to my (i.e. a Canadian) address.
      I wasn't aware of that Gordon. Nevertheless, I have copies to sell and will ship one in Canada for $24. Anyone who's interested should send me an e-mail: nsulliva@total.net

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
        Hi Neil

A certain lack of cash means that, regretably, purchasing many of the chess books that I would like to have has been a low priority for me for a long time now. However I did once see a copy of your book here in Ottawa at Strategy Games. It definitely has appeal from a Canadiana collector's point of view, and could definitely be of interest to at least untitled players as well.

The style of your prose, even in chess talk posts, has always impressed me. English used to be a subject that was one of my strong points, but I have allowed myself to put down my pen/mouse for many years until relatively recently. My posts on chess message boards, even when not made in haste, always seem to have a certain roughness in comparison, in hindsight. Even my best writing takes a lot of polishing, usually, before it might approach something like yours. Might your work involve some sort of writing?
        My book definitely has a certain quirky appeal. How many titles like mine does one see out there? It's not as if every one of us fish has slapped one together. :)

Thank you for praising my writing Kevin, but I make no claim to any particular skill. If ever such a thought should occur to me, I could pull Behan's "Borstal Boy" or Irving's " A Prayer for Owen Meaney" off the shelf and realize what real writing is all about. I don't think much of my abilities.

At best I can say that I try to take some care in expressing myself; even on chesstalk. Ironically, I was taken to task a few years ago by a woman who found fault with one of my posts here. She was perfectly correct as the message had been carelessly phrased. The experience made an impression on me and I have tried to learn from it.

My day job is warehouse manager for a company that imports and distributes bathroom accessories. I assure you that the world of toilet brushes demands little or no writing skill.

Comment

Here's something I posted in a thread on the CFC Discussion Board, in case anyone might (or might not) be swayed to vote for considering to buy a Sveshnikov sac lines book if I were to write it:

"In case you'd like an insight on how 'even' Rogozenko can (apparently) slip up, here's what I've discovered about the coverage of a couple of lines given in his book "The Sveshnikov Reloaded" (Quality Chess, 2005), on page 133 (in Chapter 20):

After the moves 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 e5 6.Nbd5 d6 7.Bg5 a6 8.Na3 b5 9.Bxf6 gxf6 10.Nd5 f5 11.Nxb5 (punctuated "?!") axb5 12.Bxb5 Bb7 13.exf5"

"Rogozenko gives:
          "a) 13...Rc8 "The only trick Black needs to know is that after 14.0-0 Bg7 15.Qh5 the natural 15...0-0?! allows 16.f6!"(etc). Rogozenko makes no mention of the superior 15.Qf3, which has been known to theory (i.e. it's found in other books) for decades.

b) 13...Ra5 14.Qd3 Bg7 15.Qc4 Kf8! "This simple move, found by T. Horvath, neutralises White's opening plan" (etc). At this point Rogozenko analyses 16.b4 and 16.Bxc6, the former leaving White fighting for a draw, and the latter being better for Black. There is no mention of the obvious 16.f6 (Fritz) nor 15.f6 (Fritz) on the move before, where it is clearly a better choice than 15.Qc4.

Thus 11.Nxb5 is summarily relegated to the dustbin by Rogozenko (though to be fair, other books have followed suit, with this variation or that, and serious players have largely abandoned 11.Nxb5 long ago)."
          Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Thursday, 6th January, 2011, 12:33 AM.
          Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
          Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Working...
          X